Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: The Enigma that is Derek Carr

WHO ARE YOU REPLACING HIM WITH? This scenario isn’t “swinging for the fences”. It’s backing up.

At this point

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    WHO ARE YOU REPLACING HIM WITH? This scenario isn’t “swinging for the fences”. It’s backing up.
    A game manager type of QB at less salary would be an upgrade. That is what Carr is at this point, a game manager type of QB.

We have won four games so far this year. Was it Carr who carried the team to victories? No. We won when Josh Jacobs carried the team.

In fact, when was the last time Derek Carr had a game in which any of us felt he carried the team to victory? I cannot think of a single game in recent years. I do know that in every one of our losses this year except one, he had the ball in his hands at the end of the game with a chance to lead the winning drive, but he did not succeed.

Replace Derek Carr? Seriously? Draft a QB in the first or second rounds in 2023, sign a veteran like Geno Smith or one of three or four quality vets that become available every offseason and rebuild this team. Let the vet lead this team then turn it over to the rookie when he is ready.

Here is an example.

Geno Smith is earning $3.5M this year.

He has passed for more yards than Carr, has thrown one more TD pass and two fewer interceptions, and has a completion rate 10 points higher that Carr.

But why would we move on from Carr? He has been grossly overpaid for what he has delivered in terms of wins.

Put it this way. I would venture a guess that no QB in the history of the NFL who has played at least five seasons has been paid as much as Derek Carr for each victory. Sure, a couple like Jabustass or Cryin Leaf may have been paid more for victory, but they did not last very long in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    A game manager type of QB at less salary would be an upgrade. That is what Carr is at this point, a game manager type of QB.

We have won four games so far this year. Was it Carr who carried the team to victories? No. We won when Josh Jacobs carried the team.

In fact, when was the last time Derek Carr had a game in which any of us felt he carried the team to victory? I cannot think of a single game in recent years. I do know that in every one of our losses this year except one, he had the ball in his hands at the end of the game with a chance to lead the winning drive, but he did not succeed.

Replace Derek Carr? Seriously? Draft a QB in the first or second rounds in 2023, sign a veteran like Geno Smith or one of three or four quality vets that become available every offseason and rebuild this team. Let the vet lead this team then turn it over to the rookie when he is ready.

Here is an example.

Geno Smith is earning $3.5M this year.

He has passed for more yards than Carr, has thrown one more TD pass and two fewer interceptions, and has a completion rate 10 points higher that Carr.

But why would we move on from Carr? He has been grossly overpaid for what he has delivered in terms of wins.

Put it this way. I would venture a guess that no QB in the history of the NFL who has played at least five seasons has been paid as much as Derek Carr for each victory. Sure, a couple like Jabustass or Cryin Leaf may have been paid more for victory, but they did not last very long in this league.
    This exactly. Somewhere in all of this we have become Bengals fans defending Carson Palmer with stats that has him in the top ten if not top five in the league but he was constantly playing from behind and had no choice but to score quickly to get back in the game or during garbage time where he was allowed to score because it was prevent time and there was no way he was going to win the game. Everyone is praising Carr for the last two games and I'm wondering where was this the first 7 games? Carr is not the future, but we have to groom the next one and not throw them to the wolves. Keep Carr another season, draft one next year and have him learn from all the pros we have. Spend next year making the defense and oline better. Waller will probably be gone as he checked out this season with a hamstring. It migt have been a body saving move for next year, but it won't look good the next time he gets injured and refuses to return. Jacob's needs to be brought back for another year. He has put this team on his back and opened up the offense. This year is over. Even if they manage to win all their games and need to win the final one to get into playoffs, that's when Carr will check down and throw out of bounds. The more important the game the more cautious Carr becomes and that's when he loses. Last week he took chances and the offense responded. Adam's made some frustratingly beautiful catches. Carr doesn't trust himself anymore or he can't release that fear after the injury. We can't wait to see if he turns into the gunslinger he use to be. Carr had been a good face for the team and locker room, but teams are built on wins and rings not locker room sermons and gosh darn good attitude. I'm pretty sure Gannon was an asshole, but he was respected, knew the playbook and could throw. Gannon would have been all over Waller for nursing his hamstring while the rest of the team plays through their injuries. Max plays 100 percent, every snap, every game regardless of score or season record.

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar
    We should grandfather Carr contract, for two more decades, then he might win us a senior bowl, but never a Super Bowl. Time to move on from Mr. Kiss Butt, seems he always hugging McDaniels. New coach, now we need a new QB, like Gruden did the first time around.

The Carr apologists

Quote Originally Posted by raider jim View Post
    This exactly. Somewhere in all of this we have become Bengals fans defending Carson Palmer with stats that has him in the top ten if not top five in the league but he was constantly playing from behind and had no choice but to score quickly to get back in the game or during garbage time where he was allowed to score because it was prevent time and there was no way he was going to win the game. Everyone is praising Carr for the last two games and I'm wondering where was this the first 7 games? Carr is not the future, but we have to groom the next one and not throw them to the wolves. Keep Carr another season, draft one next year and have him learn from all the pros we have. Spend next year making the defense and oline better. Waller will probably be gone as he checked out this season with a hamstring. It migt have been a body saving move for next year, but it won't look good the next time he gets injured and refuses to return. Jacob's needs to be brought back for another year. He has put this team on his back and opened up the offense. This year is over. Even if they manage to win all their games and need to win the final one to get into playoffs, that's when Carr will check down and throw out of bounds. The more important the game the more cautious Carr becomes and that's when he loses. Last week he took chances and the offense responded. Adam's made some frustratingly beautiful catches. Carr doesn't trust himself anymore or he can't release that fear after the injury. We can't wait to see if he turns into the gunslinger he use to be. Carr had been a good face for the team and locker room, but teams are built on wins and rings not locker room sermons and gosh darn good attitude. I'm pretty sure Gannon was an asshole, but he was respected, knew the playbook and could throw. Gannon would have been all over Waller for nursing his hamstring while the rest of the team plays through their injuries. Max plays 100 percent, every snap, every game regardless of score or season record.
    will say that if we give Derek Carr a clean pocket with the best offensive line in the league, he can lead us to victory.

The truth is that with a clean pocket, nearly every QB in the league will complete 75% of his passes and throw for over 4,000 yards. These guys are pros.

What separates the good from the great are the ability to move in the pocket to buy time so that he has an extra half second or runs for first downs; the ability to go through reads quickly so that a good decision can be made before the rush arrives; the ability to anticipate when players will come open, in effect throwing receivers open; the killer instinct to pour it on when ahead, a go for the jugular mentality.

At all four, Carr struggles.

These are a few of the major reasons why we have not won consistently. This is why Carr struggles in the red zone. This is why we always seem to play a one score game. This is why we cannot seem to keep a lead.

I’m not a Carr apologist. I’m realistic. You want to set the team back with a bum at qb, and just magically draft a franchise qb, which is a fantasy all by itself, and save money that isn’t yours, and point out all of Carr’s “weaknesses” to justify it, and in the end, STILL not win anything. The owner of this team has committed to the long term. That is something Carr has never had. You blame him for it, when in fact it’s on the team and owner. Carr isn’t going anywhere, and he shouldn’t. Your unnamed bargain basement game manager is ridiculous

You may have to burn through a few QB duds, but staying the course means no chance. Think of the above average QBs that team have moved on from like Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Bortles, Gotff, etc. None got 9 years.

None had constant change or instability or circumstances like Carr, and furthermore none of those guys had the talent or were as good as Carr.

I’m enjoying this discussion. It’s cool to banter back and forth, but in the end I feel pretty confident that Carr isn’t going anywhere.

Really depend on how the Raiders finish the season….
    If we end up doing really well in the last six games
    like winning at least four of our six games, would make
    McDaniels really think about keeping Carr in 2023….

Truth is that I would move on with Carr; but if we have
    a first round pick in the middle of the first round is
    really not going to get us a franchise pick to replace
    Carr….So I really think Carr is staying a Raiders in 2023…

But hopefully McDaniels does draft a BPA with the first
    round pick and not draft for need like we need a RT….
    Like Gruden did with Leatherwood