Thread: New Theory On Musgrave Firing

Letting Musgrave go was as a bad decision at the
    time…but Downing was getting a reputation at the
    time…..I mean he now the OC for Titans….

This thought process that (if true) , that the Raiders didn't retain Musgrave in order to keep an in demand Todd Downing, is downright stupidity. So the Raiders decided to rid themselves of a proven commodity in Musgrave, who had this offense clicking on all cylinders, to promote Downing to OC, who was anything but proven.
    I mean, how much better did you expect the offense to be with Downing, than with Musgrave who just proved to you with a 12-4 record (probably would have been 13-3 if Carr didn't get imjured) that he was a master of this offense.
    Again, the stupid Raiders trying to outsmart themselves as they do each year at the draft...
    And in hindsight, it was proven to be an idiotic move as the Raiders went from their first playoff appearance in 15 years, to bottom feeders again... Yes Downing is having success in Tennessee, but that is due to his experience running the Raiders offense after Musgrave firing. We were the guinea pigs, allowing Downing to learn on the job, so Tennessee can thank the Raiders for that. But Downing was nothing more than a QB coach who was pushed into the OC position, and was clearly in well over his head.
    I dont buy that it had to do with Musgraves salary. You pay the players millions a year whether they perform or not. Well Musgrave not only performed, but overachieved, taking this team to the playoffs SOLELY off of his playcalling. As we all know, our Defense was horrendous, so not only was Musgrave battling our Opps Defense, he was battling our own teams Defense each and every game.. and still came out on top...
    Again, just plain and utter stupidity..

Ahhh. Forgot about the Mike Tice thing..
    Mike Tice was the reason, as he got into Del Rio's ear to fire Musgrave. Again, brilliant stupidity by the Raiders to screw it up for themselves.
    For all those who felt Del Rio should've been retained rather than fired, look no further than this article.
    https://www.raidersbeat.com/was-todd...-the-building/

absolute failure and idiotic, this smacks of al davis during his sick yrs reaching for the homerun when we had the homerun already

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Letting Musgrave go was as a bad decision at the
    time…but Downing was getting a reputation at the
    time…..I mean he now the OC for Titans….
    A stud like Henry can make you look good. Spent 3 years as a TE coach before getting the OC job this season....so after leaving us, he was still working his way back from the disaster which was his Jr. High playbook in 2017. As you can see, he was probably another 2-3 years away....so keeping Musgrave for another year or 2, before handing the job to Downing would have been appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    A stud like Henry can make you look good. Spent 3 years as a TE coach before getting the OC job this season....so after leaving us, he was still working his way back from the disaster which was his Jr. High playbook in 2017. As you can see, he was probably another 2-3 years away....so keeping Musgrave for another year or 2, before handing the job to Downing would have been appropriate.
    Yeah that true; would have been the smart option..

Joke Del Rio torpedoed the team and himself. I donít think that it was going to be great ever, especially with Clown McKenzie in charge.
    Last edited by Vioraider; 12-07-2021 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    Joke Del Rio torpedoed the team and himself. I don’t think that it was going to be great ever, especially with Clown McKenzie in charge.
    I agree del rio was head coach and allowed musgrave to expire for todd downing in order to consolidate his power

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    I agree del rio was head coach and allowed musgrave to expire for todd downing in order to consolidate his power
    JDR, the ultimate alpha male. Way too much pride to just ride the defensive side....how hard is it to call plays?