Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's face it -- the Raiders are a failed franchise

Let's face it -- the Raiders are a failed franchise

Watching the game last night, I suddenly realized something: The Raiders are truly a failed franchise.

Sure, we have a brand new stadium -- the league's best -- in what many would consider to be the most desired destination venue. But that's about all we have right now.

Look no farther than the fact that both of our 2020 first round picks are essentially out of the NFL as evidence that this is a franchise in serious trouble. Was it Gruden who pushed for Ruggs and Arnette? Apologists will say that there is no way that Gruden or Mayock could have known that Ruggs would drive drunk and kill someone and Arnette would post a threatening video on the internet that could get him canned. But what are the odds that both first round draft picks IN THE SAME YEAR would be off the team for character issues? Someone clearly didn't do his homework in checking the background of these first round draft picks. Both first round draft picks IN THE SAME YEAR off the team? Seriously? Talking about whiffing on valuable assets!

It's almost as if two different people have made our draft picks -- one person making first round picks and someone else making second round picks and later. Clelin Ferrell vs. Maxx Crosby. Damon Arnette vs. Nate Hobbs. Henry Ruggs vs. Hunter Renfrow. Why haven't we seemingly "hit" on first round picks the past few years. Was Gruden the problem?

Because of Gruden's stupidity and the NFL's anti-Raiders, anti-Gruden agenda, we now have an interim head coach in charge who has never been a head coach. How many interviews has this coach received in the past for head coaching spots? Have you ever heard his name mentioned as a serious contender for any head coaching spot? I have followed the NFL for decades now and I have never heard his name even mentioned once as a serious contender.

If you watched the game last night, you saw the creativity of the Chiefs' offense vs. the predictability of the Raiders offense. You also saw a franchise that selected a potential franchise-changing quarterback of the future when they had a good quarterback at the helm. Why did the Chiefs choose Mahomes? Because they knew that Alex Smith was a good quarterback but would never be a GREAT quarterback. They weren't going to settle for mediocrity; they wanted Super Bowls.

Derek Carr is Alex Smith 2.0. Carr is a good quarterback but he will never be a great quarterback. He lacks the athleticism and pocket awareness of Patrick Mahomes, just like Alex Smith would never be able to carry Patrick Mahomes' jock strap. I'm calling it like I see it. We all see it. We watch as Carr simply folds like a scared poker player with a pair of 2's in a big time game -- whenever the rush gets close. We watch as Carr has at least one more second to allow one of his receivers to break free deep, but instead dumps it off for a three yard gain on a third and 7. It is what it is. We've seen it for years, and it is never going to change. Carr is a good man, a great husband, a wonderful father and a good quarterback, but we will never win with him. If only we had a pass rush and a better defense, apologists continue to say. We have a much better defense and two of the league's best edge rushers now and we're still mediocre.

Yes, the Raiders can win with Carr, if they surround him with a top 10 defense, elite wide receivers and an offensive line that can open holes in the running game on a consistent basis while keeping Carr's jersey completely clean. But Carr will never elevate players around him. And can any team pay a quarterback $25 million or more per year AND surround him with a top 10 roster? Put it this way. Any halfway intelligent NFL expert would say that we have the third best QB in a four-team division. Third best. That is never going to cut it. We will never win the division again with Carr at the helm -- not with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert in our division.

I've been a fan since 1967. I love the Raiders -- always have, always will. To say that the Raiders aren't in serious trouble is like the guy who still loves his wife after she's cheated on him a dozen times. At some point, you have got to open your eyes and admit what's going on with this franchise.

31 teams don't win the Superbowl every year. 20 don't make the playoffs every year. We are still only half a game out of first and in the playoff hunt. The team has gone though hell the past month with Grunden and Ruggs. I'm disappointed in the recent play, but the Chicago and Giant losses bothered me more than the KC loss. Let the season play out to see if we are truly in our regular late season collapse. As fans we seem to over react in both directions.

Offense misses Ruggs and Gruden. Team is lost. I don't think we recover this season. Need new direction. We are looking at New GM/HC/QB next season. Trade Carr and get whatever you can while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by orlandoraider View Post
    Offense misses Ruggs and Gruden. Team is lost. I don't think we recover this season. Need new direction. We are looking at New GM/HC/QB next season. Trade Carr and get whatever you can while you can.
    If we got a new GM and Head coach and dumped Carr, who should be the QB? A rookie and we are then probably 3 years away from being competitive if we are lucky.

And we are 20 years away

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    If we got a new GM and Head coach and dumped Carr, who should be the QB? A rookie and we are then probably 3 years away from being competitive if we are lucky.
    If we keep doing what we have been doing. That is the definition of insanity — doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Took a week or so to catch up to the team, but looks like they are in disarray now and are going through the motions. Good players will want out, like Renfrow, Waller, Crosby, and more...

yes,it was embarrassment for all us fans yesterday but I remain a fan, a loyal fan for life for those whom wanna leave you r free to leave and join a winning franchises bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    yes,it was embarrassment for all us fans yesterday but I remain a fan, a loyal fan for life for those whom wanna leave you r free to leave and join a winning franchises bandwagon
    Im with you. I am pissed as hell right now, but I will always be a fan. Nothing going to change that. I just want shit to change for the better and get us back to the old ways by any means necessary.

I think with Gruden leaving wasn't a problem, it actually may have helped, but with Ruggs not in the picture is where it really hurt us. It would have hurt Gruden also.

Like I said

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    I'm a fan, always have been and always will be.

But to stay "loyal" without also being realistic is idiotic.

This is a failed franchise.

We are no closer to the Super Bowl than we were in 2016 -- if anything we are a lot farther away.

Carr is not an elite QB. He plays soft, lacks pocket awareness and can only be a winner if we surround him with a top 10 defense, elite WRs, a great running game and OL.

We lost two first round draft picks FROM THE SAME DRAFT CLASS due to character issues. Two first round draft picks. SAME DRAFT CLASS. If that isn't failure, I don't know what is.

It's time Raider fans were more realistic and began demanding excellence from what was once a franchise committed to excellence.