Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gruden Raiders To Work Out Contract Settlement

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Gruden Raiders To Work Out Contract Settlement

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNationPaul68 View Post
    Aren't the figures in the article off by many 10's of millions? Gruden has been a coach since 2018, assuming he gets paid for this year the amount he is owed is $60 mill unless he gets paid more during the initial years & less in the years 4-10. Does anybody have insight into how his pay is structured?

Quote Originally Posted by silver_ghost View Post
    Aren't the figures in the article off by many 10's of millions? Gruden has been a coach since 2018, assuming he gets paid for this year the amount he is owed is $60 mill unless he gets paid more during the initial years & less in the years 4-10. Does anybody have insight into how his pay is structured?
    Yeah, seems like the remaining $60M wasn't fully guaranteed.

Rapoport also reports that Gruden is owed roughly $40 million over the balance of the deal. This meshes with the notion that the full $100 million wasn’t guaranteed. Also, to the extent that the deal was (as we’ve heard) backloaded, that $40 million quite possibly falls far from 100 percent of the money he was still due to make.

Frankly, it’s surprising that a deal wasn’t worked out before Gruden walked away. The fact that it didn’t happen shows how quickly this all happened.

Moving forward, there are two important factors to consider. First, the Commissioner resolves all grievances arising from coaching contracts. Second, the leaks of Gruden emails to former Washington executive Bruce Allen fell short of Gruden’s return to the Raiders as the head coach. Allen remained on the job during the first two years of Gruden’s tenure; if any troubling emails were sent from the Raiders.com domain, it becomes much easier to prove that the firing happened for cause.

Why are they using the word "fired" or "firing". Didnt Gruden Resign? Which means he stepped down / quit.
    When you resign / step down, you are the one who breaks agreed upon contract and are therefore not due any monies.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    Why are they using the word "fired" or "firing". Didnt Gruden Resign? Which means he stepped down / quit.
    When you resign / step down, you are the one who breaks agreed upon contract and are therefore not due any monies.
    I think Davis gave him the option to resign. He was going to get fired but Davis gave him the option to resign and then they'll work on a settlement afterwards. That's what I think happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    You are 100% right.

From the way Davis has been reacting, he probably wouldn't have fired Gruden and let the matter drag on. The stepping down is Gruden's own decision because he didn't want this to prolong. He has enough money in his bank to retire & do whatever he wishes to do.

I’ve heard that the back half of the contract was loaded with tons of incentives

Quote Originally Posted by silver_ghost View Post
    From the way Davis has been reacting, he probably wouldn't have fired Gruden and let the matter drag on. The stepping down is Gruden's own decision because he didn't want this to prolong. He has enough money in his bank to retire & do whatever he wishes to do.
    I also heard Davis went to the locker room to meet Gruden and that was when he resigned. Wouldn't make sense for Davis to go meet Gruden in the locker room if he was ready to let this drag out. It'd be a coincidence that Davis is ready to let it drag out, he goes to meet Gruden in the locker room and Gruden just decides to resign on his own.

Also, I don't know why there would be settlement talks if Gruden really did resign on his own. Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson decided to retire on their own and Detroit went after their signing bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post
    I think Davis gave him the option to resign. He was going to get fired but Davis gave him the option to resign and then they'll work on a settlement afterwards. That's what I think happened.
    agree, mark did not wanna fire jon and I'm pretty sure jon knew of the massive pressure from the league on mark to fire him and just walked away cause jon knew the pressure on the organization,mark and the team would have damaged the franchise for yrs, so he resigned, this should not be a bad deal,mark and jon remain friends and the walk away was probably mutually agreed to