Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-0 the good and bad so far

3-0 the good and bad so far

Yes we are 3-0 and nobody thought that was possible with the Vegas over under at 7 for the season. We are the first team to start a season 3-0 and beat three teams that had 10 wins the previous season. I forget someone else posted that in an earlier thread. 3-0 is 3-0. Although Pittsburgh and Dolphins are not very good they are still better than the three teams the Broncos beat.

The bad

Andre James. He has some issues that I think are correctable. He cannot snap the ball, it's been huge issue. His pass blocking has been ok. The run blocking has been poor. In James defense we went against two very good defenses that run a 3-4, where the nose lines up over the center. Both the Raven and Steelers have massive NT, that are good.

Overall o-line- Injuries really hurt this unit. We are playing two backup guards and essentially two rookies and James and Leatherwood. James has been around but hasn't played. Under the circumstances they have held up well, we could easily be 0-3 and fans looking to hang Mayock and Gruden.

Run game. I bashed Barber early and he must have seen the post after the two failed attempts on 3rd and 4th and less than 1. I wanted to cut him. He came back and had a good game. Overall through three games, it isn't good. Jacobs is hurt and Drake has been good out of the backfield, but running the ball hasn't looked good. He seems more of a power running back. Not the correct system for him, hopefully he can figure it out.

Punt coverage is terrible. Jones made a nice play on the one yesterday but it seems like every time we punt they get a 15 year return.

The good.
    Carr is playing at an MVP level. He has shut up every single fan that hated him, I didn't think it was possible.

Crosby- He's also playing at an elite level. He's picked up some moves and is dominating his opponent. The past two year he was all hustle and most of his sacks were coverage sacks.

D-line. They are causing pressure, hitting the QB and playing fantastic. No complaints.

Hayward and Mullen. They are playing like two of the top corners in football right now. I don't want to hear how Arnette is a bust. We don't know. He playing behind two pro bowlers right now.

Abram. Also playing great. New system that fits his style of play is all that was needed.

Ruggs- I have bashed him since the day we drafted him. I come to realize what Ruggs is going to be is James Jett with better hands. He will get a big play every couple of games but he will never be the #1 guy that you want a receiver to be. To compare him to receivers the are putting up huge numbers isn't fair. I've also realized on this team our #1 is Waller. And the offense runs through him. Defenses have started taking him away. When that happens Ruggs, Edwards, or Hunter need to step up and be the #1 guy for that game, not the season. A lot of what I said was true about Ruggs. He cannot get off the line and is a terrible route runner. But if he can beat his man once or twice per game. Thats all we need.

Carlson. Fucking stud. Just last year half this board wanted to bring in that Patriot kicker to replace him. The missed extra point sucked and almost cost us the game. 9-9 on field goals.

Third down conversions 20-43 on the season. the defense is 14-42. Impressive.

Massive improvement from Abram and the rest of the defense. I was thinking them playing like a #15 defense was asking too much, now they're looking like a #10. Defensive line and our ragtag LB corps have been on fire. Ruggs is looking like he's finally catching on. Renfrow is Mr. Dependable. We could only imagine what would happen if our team was 100% healthy. Our offensive line is the weakest link which is also surprising considering the numbers Carr is throwing up.

If you guys have gameday rituals, keep them up. My dad hasn't washed his Crosby jersey since we went to opening night but he's gonna keep wearing it until it stops working lol.

Ruggs is in his second year and he will only
    get better…and Carr starting to trust him

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Ruggs is in his second year and he will only
    get better…and Carr starting to trust him
    message to grudenlease call more hooks,come backs and slants to ruggs especially when the defender is 10 yds off of him cause he is afraid of his speed, these r easy 8-10 yd gains, when the cb comes up to play and stop thee plays send henry on a sprint and burn em for a long td

I'm really pleased with the play of all 4 starting receivers.

Waller and Renfrow are great - but we already knew that from last year. Renfrow's hands, route running, and body control are truly amazing. He seems to catch anything thrown in his zip code.

Ruggs and Edwards are showing major improvement - but I think the biggest factor there is that Carr is starting to trust and target them. Edwards rarely has much of any separation but he is big and is making highly contested catches. Ruggs doesn't run great routes like Renfrow, but he can win with pure speed. He's been effective on crossing and post patterns where Carr can throw it out in front of him and let him go get it. Ruggs also showed excellent hands yesterday. Ruggs is currently leading the Raiders in receiving yardage.

I don't remember a ball being dropped yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpcity View Post
    I'm really pleased with the play of all 4 starting receivers.

Waller and Renfrow are great - but we already knew that from last year. Renfrow's hands, route running, and body control are truly amazing. He seems to catch anything thrown in his zip code.

Ruggs and Edwards are showing major improvement - but I think the biggest factor there is that Carr is starting to trust and target them. Edwards rarely has much of any separation but he is big and is making highly contested catches. Ruggs doesn't run great routes like Renfrow, but he can win with pure speed. He's been effective on crossing and post patterns where Carr can throw it out in front of him and let him go get it. Ruggs also showed excellent hands yesterday. Ruggs is currently leading the Raiders in receiving yardage.

I don't remember a ball being dropped yesterday.
    our reciving corp will be scary yr 3

Ruggs wasn't brought in to be the number one wideout.

O-line sucks. Will Andre get better? He needs to get way better.

It is good to see Carr able to spread the ball around. That offense could be dangerous.

I believe 89 has the potential to become the number one WR on our team.

Maxx Crosby leads the league in QB pressures with 21 and QB hits with 12.

Did Andre get better with his snaps after the misfire? Announcers said that he removed some tape from his right hand after that errant snap. But just prior to that errant snap, there were 2-3 high snaps that Carr was able to corral....I would imagine Carr had said something in the huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    message to grudenlease call more hooks,come backs and slants to ruggs especially when the defender is 10 yds off of him cause he is afraid of his speed, these r easy 8-10 yd gains, when the cb comes up to play and stop thee plays send henry on a sprint and burn em for a long td
    Agreed, those are the most basic routes that should find Ruggs open, especially on 1-1 coverage. I noticed Gruden had Ruggs lined up inline like an H-Back go in motion one way with the RB with the ball going the opposite way, setting Ruggs up on a crack back block....guessing somewhere down the line, Ruggs fakes the block and just sprints to the post. There was also another play where Ruggs motioned right to left, kept going at the snap, ran a 5 yard out, caught the ball and took it another 15-20 yards.