Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carr Thinks Something Clicked with Ruggs

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    last year you said he was a lock for 1000k. Now in year two 850. Midget is a joke. Edwards will outplay him, as well as every first and second round pick that was drafted after him.
    that was based on gruden saying he was gonna design plays for him and get him all over the field, gruden didn't do that and has acknowledged he needs to design plays for the kid and get him more targets, getting 3 targets or less a game was a failure

Edwards has to show he can stay healthy before anyone starts making predictions on production

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    gruden didn't do that and has acknowledged he needs to design plays for the kid and get him more targets, getting 3 targets or less a game was a failure
    I don’t think the problem was the lack of targets for Ruggs, it was his play on the field.
    His routes were just not NFL level.

Mayock mentioned, you can have all the speed in the world, but it means nothing if you don’t show that speed in routes.
    On the flip side, Mayock mentioned no OTA’s compounded by injuries and getting COVID.

Gruden and other players like Renfrow mentioned he was a great decoy. Opened up the field for other players.
    But this year he needs to be a weapon with the ball in his hand.

Carr even brought it up, but also acknowledged tough with such a short offseason.

Ruggs posted on Twitter he was disappointed in his own performance and said how important this offseason is.

Like someone else said, I don’t think he’ll be a true #1 WR at the level of Ceedee or Jefferson is headed.
    But that doesn’t mean he can become a serious valuable weapon for the Raiders (and not just the decoy kind)

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Edwards has to show he can stay healthy before anyone starts making predictions on production
    Yup.
    In training camp he moved ahead of Nelly on the depth chart.
    So the talent is there. Year 2 with a full offseason I’m sure he’s even better.
    But like you said, it all comes down to health and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    that was based on gruden saying he was gonna design plays for him and get him all over the field, gruden didn't do that and has acknowledged he needs to design plays for the kid and get him more targets, getting 3 targets or less a game was a failure
    You design plays for players that CANNOT get open. Do you think Gruden says ok guys all three of these routes are going to covered but we are going to design play for Midget. That isn't how it works. It's the players responsibility that he gets open, if he can't he needs to be replaced. Designing plays for a player means is code for the player fucking sucks and he can't get open, he can't catch and he shouldn't be on the field. It also means that the player in question should never be drafted in the first round. But we will design a play for him because he's worthless in every aspect of the game so we don't look terrible in evaluating someone who isn't a football player.
    Last edited by psly2124; 06-23-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Tyreek Hill and Kelce have quite a few plays designed to get them open. Because they are terrible players. Great logic there.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    you design plays for players that cannot get open. Do you think gruden says ok guys all three of these routes are going to covered but we are going to design play for midget. That isn't how it works. It's the players responsibility that he gets open, if he can't he needs to be replaced. Designing plays for a player means is code for the player fucking sucks and he can't get open, he can't catch and he shouldn't be on the field. It also means that the player in question should never be drafted in the first round. But we will design a play for him because he's worthless in every aspect of the game so we don't look terrible in evaluating someone who isn't a football player.
    you design plays to exploit mismatches, it not about if the player is bad, many great players in the league get designed plays

I hope Ruggs balls out this season, has the one thing you can't teach, just needs better technique in route running. I like his attitude though, he seems like he wants to get better and be a difference maker, that's half the battle. Just needs to practice, practice, practice.

I noticed he was terrible even in mid traffic (defender close). Can't win a jump ball etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    I noticed he was terrible even in mid traffic (defender close). Can't win a jump ball etc.
    Can't win a jump ball? He actually had a couple-few jump balls that despite his height, he made. There was 2 vs the Chiefs just off the top of my head. His issue isn't his hands either. His issue is his route running. That is his knock... that and he needed to work on getting both feet down inbounds, as he had a few of those that were great catches but only got 1 foot down so those plays were negated