Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnette is already on his way out

Arnette is already on his way out

Hearing Jon Gruden/Mayock last year first round pick
    Arnette is on his way out of Las Vegas….why don’t
    we just trade our first rounder for veteran players
    instead….these guys are making Al Davis draft pick
    look good

Last edited by SuperRaider; 06-18-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Arnette missed half of his rookie season to injuries and COVID-19. I don't see him going anywhere for now. There are rumors Bradley is going to try Arnette in the slot.

can you copy and paste that article, seems to be a paywall

1. Arnette already on the way out after one season?
    The Raiders drafted cornerback Damon Arnette in the first round last year and got mad when experts said it was a reach. (Sound familiar?) Arnette started seven games, was a little over-aggressive at times and had bouts with COVID-19, injuries and concussions. General manager Mike Mayock mentioned in January that Arnette needed to “apply himself” and to get stronger in the weight room.

Well, after watching minicamp practices Tuesday and Wednesday and talking to people in the building, Arnette has become almost an after-thought. The Raiders signed veteran Casey Hayward in May and all but handed him Arnette’s starting job opposite Trayvon Mullen. There was some speculation that one might move to slot corner but neither has practiced there yet.

(Veteran Nevin Lawson looks to be the starter in the slot, with rookie Nate Hobbs pushing him. Amik Robertson, a fourth-round pick last year, is in third place at that position and might need a huge training camp to make the roster.)

Coach Jon Gruden was asked about the cornerback position on Wednesday.

“We’ve put a lot of (draft) picks into our secondary if you count Tre’von Moehrig and Tyree Gillespie and obviously Karl Joseph and John Abram,” he said. “We have a lot of high picks in that secondary. They’re young.

“Hayward is going to be a veteran that brings us some seasoning and some day-to-day consistency. He’s going to provide a lot of competition, I promise you that. He’s not here to give away his job.”

All coaches say the best players will start, and Gruden is no different.

“I don’t care if it’s Nate Hobbs and Amik Robertson,” he said. “I don’t care what round they came in, we’re going to play the best four to five guys. The players will decide that.”

Unless something changes drastically in training camp, Arnette may have a limited role.

The Raiders had concerns last year about third-round pick Lynn Bowden Jr.’s maturity and ability to handle distractions in Las Vegas, and they quickly traded him to the Dolphins when he also struggled on the field. NFL scouts had similar red flags on Arnette — he talked to us about the “character issues” last year — and now the first-round pick may not be a starter in his second season.

Like Gruden said, the Raiders don’t care what round players are drafted in.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRaider2010 View Post
    can you copy and paste that article, seems to be a paywall
    Yeah it done

Coach Fisher is making all drafts in the AL Davis days look alot better...
    Fu#k The Rest

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    The Raiders had concerns last year about third-round pick Lynn Bowden Jr.’s maturity and ability to handle distractions in Las Vegas, and they quickly traded him to the Dolphins when he also struggled on the field. NFL scouts had similar red flags on Arnette — he talked to us about the “character issues” last year — and now the first-round pick may not be a starter in his second season.
    Not sure I take this article seriously when I read this - Bowden was a college WR who Mayock drafted with the intent to convert to a RB and then traded him when the project was failed. It was a terrible pick and he's lucky he got something in return for it. That LB we got back literally contributed nothing though.

It goes onto say that "he talked to us about character issues last year" - When did Gruden mention character issues? The biggest character concern on the team last year was Trent Brown - Gruden defended that guy every single week.

This is why I wanted the Raiders to trade a first for Jones. There is not a player that they have drafted in the 1st the past 5 years you wouldn't trade straight up for Jones, no reason at all to think next years #1 is going to be any better. No reason at all

Quote Originally Posted by wmike632 View Post
    This is why I wanted the Raiders to trade a first for Jones. There is not a player that they have drafted in the 1st the past 5 years you wouldn't trade straight up for Jones, no reason at all to think next years #1 is going to be any better. No reason at all

It wasn't the draft pick stopping the raiders getting Jones, it was the salary cap.