Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Marcus Mariota

Revisiting Marcus Mariota

The NFL Network replayed the Raiders/Chargers game in which Derek Carr was injured and Marcus Mariota took over at QB. We lost 30-27 in overtime.

I have to say that watching this game again, I realize just how well Mariota played. He was the only reason we were still in the game in the fourth quarter, as our running game was continually stopped by the Chargers' defense and we faced a number of key third and fourth downs to stay in the game. With one exception, a pass to Zay Jones that was tipped and turned into an interception, Mariota did his best to will us to win. This probably the best performances by a Raiders QB in terms of extending plays with his legs when passing the ball and in keeping the sticks moving by running the ball since Rich Gannon was with the Raiders. Mariota clearly showed a pocket awareness I have rarely seen from Derek Carr.

Mariota finished the game 17 for 28 for 226 yards, one TD pass and one INT. He also had 88 yards rushing with one rushing TD. Josh Jacobs rushed for 76 yards on only 2.9 yards per carry, while Mariota averaged a whopping 9.8 yards per carry.

Our defensive secondary was decimated. We were playing Daryl Worley at safety, and it showed. Jeff Heath missed the game, as did Jonathan Abram and Damon Arnette. Worley was continually late to the ball and gave up too much space to receivers, likely because we just picked him up and he has played a lot more cornerback than safety. Clelin Ferrell also missed the game.

Yes, this was one game, and one game doesn't a career make. But in one game, Mariota seemed to make more plays with his legs than Derek Carr did in the other 15 games combined. I'm serious. Watch the game again. Mariota moved to his left, moved to his right, ran for first downs and gave our receivers time to get open for big gains on key downs. Darren Waller finished with 9 catches for 150 yards, partially because Mariota bought a little extra time and gave Waller time to get open for big plays.

Maybe this is why the Raiders didn't trade Mariota? Could there be a true QB competition in camp? If I were Gruden, I would allow for competition, even at QB, to field the team that gives us the best chance of winning.

The history of the Raiders is filled with QBs coming in off the bench to win games for the Raiders. From Blanda replacing Lamonica in games when he was ineffective, to Ken Stabler replacing Lamonica for good after he ran for the lead in the Immaculate Reception game, to Pastorini getting hurt and being replaced by Jim Plunkett, and the Raiders signing a "washed up" Rich Gannon, the Raiders have had their best success with players who weren't always the prettiest at QB, but seemingly had the "will to win" that has been the trademark in the team's most successful years.

To be successful in the NFL, Mariota has to become more of a passer and less of a runner, which is what Rich Gannon had to do, too. If Mariota can cut down on his mistakes, move in the pocket to buy time, he might be our best option, especially with a rebuilt offensive line. Could that be partially behind the team's reasoning for rebuilding the offensive line now -- don't overpay on the offensive line and give the two QBs a chance to show what they can do?

https://www.raiders.com/video/highli...argers-week-15

Marcus Mariota is a nice backup, but as a stater he will not make it through a now 17 game season. Too many risky plays with his body. As a QB he is an interception waiting to happen, too many risky throws.

I rewatched the game and saw a lot of missed throws. The d-line was a disaster. Hankins was getting pushed around like he was 150 pounds.

Yes, there were a few missed throws

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    I rewatched the game and saw a lot of missed throws. The d-line was a disaster. Hankins was getting pushed around like he was 150 pounds.
    But I also believe that if Mariota hadn't played, we would have lost by probably two TDs. He kept drives alive.

Carr is the more accurate passer, for sure, but he also doesn't have the legs or pocket awareness Mariota does.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    But I also believe that if Mariota hadn't played, we would have lost by probably two TDs. He kept drives alive.

Carr is the more accurate passer, for sure, but he also doesn't have the legs or pocket awareness Mariota does.
    You can't be serious to think we would have lost by two TD's if Carr was the QB. We lost the game because Mariota threw a terrible pass that was picked off.

Didn’t we win the game against the Chargers when Carr was playing?

Quote Originally Posted by _db_ View Post
    Didnít we win the game against the Chargers when Carr was playing?
    Yeah. It was close though. Carr > Mariota regardless. Over a 16,17 game haul youll win more with Carr than Mariota. It is what it is. Carr's the better passer, Mariota's the better runner. I like Mariota as backup and glad hes here.

Watch those Mariota scrambles.
    Watch how many times he put his body in harms way and jumps head first into tackles.

Now multiply that by 17 games.
    That stuff just won’t last as a full time starter.

Now I do love it here and there in sub packages. Let’s hope we use him as a change of pace guy to throw off the D.

I thought Marcus Mariota should have started the rest of the season; the season was pretty much over and what we got to lose...

He did really have a good game against the chargers....for a guy that did not get any first team rep in the week...

This is comedy at this point. Mariota is a good backup. That’s it. He ran around and “kept plays alive” against a defense game planned for a pocket passer with zero “pocket awareness”. He also served up a TERRIBLE pick.