Thread: Donít Laugh Now Raiders In AFC Playoffs Hunt After 2021 Offseason

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Donít Laugh Now Raiders In AFC Playoffs Hunt After 2021 Offseason

I get that he wants a dynamic run game, but all things being the same, all we need is an above average defense. I just hope the free agents and draft make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    I get that he wants a dynamic run game, but all things being the same, all we need is an above average defense. I just hope the free agents and draft make that happen.
    Free agents, draft, and New DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Free agents, draft, and New DC.
    Agree the new DC is major.

Any semblance of a defense last year, we win 3 games, Miami, Chargers and Chiefs at home, good enough for playoffs.

Bradley alone should improve the defense. Simple playbook, we should know what we are doing, plus getting a high end pass rush in Ngakoue, will help us overall, the DLine gets better, less time to throw, DBs will look better.

I think a missing piece is having the defensive leader, the voice, the communicator, normally you like that coming from the MLB, we had that with Woodson when he was here, someone in the middle of the defense who KNOWs everybody's assignment. Sherman would have been nice, given the experience with Bradley's defense. Kwiatkoski, Littleton do not seem to talkative, plus with rookie safeties coming in...hopefully this where Heyward can take on a leadership role.

You expect a report to say something like "Don't look now but the Raiders are playoff contenders." This article is under the assumption that not many people expect the Raiders to even make the playoffs this year. Thats why it says "in the hunt." In the AFC you can probably pencil in Buffalo, KC, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Tennessee to make the playoffs. Indy is a strong bet as well depending on QB play. New England, Miami, Pittsburgh, LA Chargers, and us are all in the hunt while NY Jets, Cincinnati, Houston, and Jacksonville are at least a year away. Denver is a complete wild card. They have a good roster but have had awful QB play as of late. If they get half way decent QB play they could be in the playoff hunt as well.

Obviously anything can happen. Mahomes could get hurt and that team wins 7 games. Herbert has a sophomore slump with a new HC and the Raiders easily take the division with an 11-6 record. This article just implies that not many outside of Vegas give the Raiders much of a chance to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Any semblance of a defense last year, we win 3 games, Miami, Chargers and Chiefs at home, good enough for playoffs.

Bradley alone should improve the defense. Simple playbook, we should know what we are doing, plus getting a high end pass rush in Ngakoue, will help us overall, the DLine gets better, less time to throw, DBs will look better.

I think a missing piece is having the defensive leader, the voice, the communicator, normally you like that coming from the MLB, we had that with Woodson when he was here, someone in the middle of the defense who KNOWs everybody's assignment. Sherman would have been nice, given the experience with Bradley's defense. Kwiatkoski, Littleton do not seem to talkative, plus with rookie safeties coming in...hopefully this where Heyward can take on a leadership role.
    I'm sure Jon also thinks a strong time eating run game keeps the defense off the field and is worth a game or two right there.

I'm sure Jon also thinks a strong time eating run game keeps the defense off the field and is worth a game or two right there.
    And it probably is in our case. I always hated being on the other end of that in a close game. Theres plently of time left for a stop and another drive for the win, but you never get the chance. Its boring football by todays standards, but its so demoralizing to cut it within 7 with 7:50 minutes left, but you never see the ball again. We had a few of those drives last year, not necessarily that scenario, but we had 7-9 minute drives, mostly via the ground with some dink and dunk by Carr. If your capable of doing it it does protect your defense.

Our defense is such a liability and its a lot of Jons fault why it is. Hes a horrible talent evaluator but I do like him at HC say compared to everything we had prior to him. Were more consistent then weve been sense he was here the first go round. Offensively I like where we are are. Were actually better offensively than most people/fans give us credit for. You can win that way but you cant pair it with a 31st ranked defense. If were going to make any noise, even threaten at making the playoff the D has to get better fast.

We could be anywhere from 6-11 to 12-5. Now I doubt 12-5 because I doubt the D can make the strides it needs to, but some years the ball just bounces your way (2016).