Thread: PFF Draft grades give Raiders a C....

PFF Draft grades give Raiders a C....

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...s-all-32-teams

<Day 1: The Las Vegas Raiders have a glaring need at right tackle and made a point to revamp their offensive line this offseason, but there won’t be many who have Alex Leatherwood ranked ahead of Christian Darrisaw and a few others still on the board. Leatherwood comes from a blue-blood program, and that may be coveted more than usual in this unique draft, but he was the No. 9-ranked tackle on PFF’s Big Board and had major issues in pass protection.>

<Day 2: Moehrig was the heavy favorite to become the first safety off the board in the 2021 NFL Draft. Instead, he’s the third safety off the board here to Las Vegas behind both Jevon Holland and Richie Grant. Moehrig brings some much-needed playmaking ability in coverage to the Raiders secondary, but it remains to be seen how he fits in Gus Bradley’s defense after playing in a split-field safety defense at TCU. There’s reason to believe he can have success as a single-high safety with his size, smarts and explosiveness.

The Raiders test the waters on a very productive pass rusher with Koonce. He might not have the requisite strength right now, but the team will be hoping he adds that aspect to his game. He’s going to have to add some moves, but the bend and flexibility he possesses are uncoachable traits. Can he stand up to the run at the NFL level? He was a reach of about 90 spots according to the PFF Big Board. Classic Raiders. Right now he’s a third-down player until he puts on NFL muscle.

In a perfect universe, Deablo transitions to linebacker in the NFL and uses his relative speed and explosiveness for the position to become a good modern NFL linebacker. Unfortunately, there are going to be many universes where the former Virginia Tech safety never manages to nail down a spot and ends up living his pro career in positional limbo.>

<Day 3: Las Vegas is doing precisely what they need to be doing here by taking swings on the secondary. Gillespie is a physical player who will make an impact against the run, but he’s not a quality coverage player… yet. He wasn’t instinctive in college, nor is he a good all-around athlete. He also put on a subpar performance in one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl.

Draft Grade: C >

Seems about right, I saw a B and a D grade so this one averages out.

C is a fair grade. The first two picks were a home run. While the rest of the picks were depth pieces, we failed to address DT and WR. I don't know who is going to play in the slot either. I like some of the players we took on day two and three. I'm just confused by the positions we chose. 3 safeties, I know one is being converted to LB. WE passed on the best coverage LB in the class in Jabril Cox for Deablo.

A C is about right

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    Seems about right, I saw a B and a D grade so this one averages out.
    The Raiders have always done things "their own way." When other teams were members of a scouting combine, the Raiders went it alone, believing that they knew better. When Al ran the show and Ron Wolf was with the team, the Raiders consistently out drafted other teams. One thing that set the Raiders apart was that they scouted small schools and HBCUs, while the rest of the league only invested resources in the larger schools.

But that changed in the 1980s. And with the advent of free agency, the Raiders spent hundreds of millions on players who were looking for a paycheck. The Raiders continually lost in the draft and free agency. Other than the Rich Gannon/Jon Gruden years, the Raiders have been consistent -- consistently losing or consistently mediocre at best.

This year's draft shows exactly why the Raiders need to change even more. The first round pick of Alex Leatherwood has Jon Gruden's fingerprints written all over it. Gruden typically seems to make the first round pick, while Mayock seems to have more say in the second and later rounds. As a result, we fell in love with Leatherwood, selected him at least 7-10 spots higher than he should have been taken. That's overpaying for the value left on the board. In the second round, we moved up to select the best safety on the board. If Moehrig is healthy, we got first round value in the second round. That's quality drafting.

With every draft, teams have a number of players they believe will be available when they pick. If there are several players available in the same range and they're still available, astute teams move down a few slots, knowing that they will be able to get the same value, according to their boards, and pick up another draft pick or a higher pick farther down the draft in the process. As an example, when we picked, Darrisaw, Jenkins and Leatherwood were still available. Moving down a few slots would nearly guarantee one of the three would be available when we picked.

Until and unless the Raiders begin to draft better, we will always be a mediocre team and the Super Bowl will continue to be out of reach. In order to improve, we need for Leatherwood to be a home run, we need Moehrig to be a home run, and one of the safeties we selected need to be a home run. We also need for Koonce to be a home run and Morrisey to be a quality back up at worst, a starting offensive lineman at best. And by home run, I'm talking about a player who is All Pro to very much above average at his position. In our recent drafts, I consider Josh Jacobs and Maxx Crosby to be home runs, and they're still developing. Ferrell is slightly above average, Abram has been a disappointment. Out of those three first round picks in one year, one has become what I consider to be the level of quality we needed from all three.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but so far Gruden and Mayock have not been the solution to building a winner. I have a strong feeling that either the Raiders win this year and make the playoffs or Gruden may be asked to leave before his contract is up. The same can be said for Mayock.

"Just win baby" has become "mediocrity is the norm." Consecutive 7-9 and 8-8 seasons are the definition of mediocrity. We deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    The Raiders have always done things "their own way." When other teams were members of a scouting combine, the Raiders went it alone, believing that they knew better. When Al ran the show and Ron Wolf was with the team, the Raiders consistently out drafted other teams. One thing that set the Raiders apart was that they scouted small schools and HBCUs, while the rest of the league only invested resources in the larger schools.

But that changed in the 1980s. And with the advent of free agency, the Raiders spent hundreds of millions on players who were looking for a paycheck. The Raiders continually lost in the draft and free agency. Other than the Rich Gannon/Jon Gruden years, the Raiders have been consistent -- consistently losing or consistently mediocre at best.

This year's draft shows exactly why the Raiders need to change even more. The first round pick of Alex Leatherwood has Jon Gruden's fingerprints written all over it. Gruden typically seems to make the first round pick, while Mayock seems to have more say in the second and later rounds. As a result, we fell in love with Leatherwood, selected him at least 7-10 spots higher than he should have been taken. That's overpaying for the value left on the board. In the second round, we moved up to select the best safety on the board. If Moehrig is healthy, we got first round value in the second round. That's quality drafting.

With every draft, teams have a number of players they believe will be available when they pick. If there are several players available in the same range and they're still available, astute teams move down a few slots, knowing that they will be able to get the same value, according to their boards, and pick up another draft pick or a higher pick farther down the draft in the process. As an example, when we picked, Darrisaw, Jenkins and Leatherwood were still available. Moving down a few slots would nearly guarantee one of the three would be available when we picked.

Until and unless the Raiders begin to draft better, we will always be a mediocre team and the Super Bowl will continue to be out of reach. In order to improve, we need for Leatherwood to be a home run, we need Moehrig to be a home run, and one of the safeties we selected need to be a home run. We also need for Koonce to be a home run and Morrisey to be a quality back up at worst, a starting offensive lineman at best. And by home run, I'm talking about a player who is All Pro to very much above average at his position. In our recent drafts, I consider Josh Jacobs and Maxx Crosby to be home runs, and they're still developing. Ferrell is slightly above average, Abram has been a disappointment. Out of those three first round picks in one year, one has become what I consider to be the level of quality we needed from all three.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but so far Gruden and Mayock have not been the solution to building a winner. I have a strong feeling that either the Raiders win this year and make the playoffs or Gruden may be asked to leave before his contract is up. The same can be said for Mayock.

"Just win baby" has become "mediocrity is the norm." Consecutive 7-9 and 8-8 seasons are the definition of mediocrity. We deserve better.
    Teams don't move back when the player they want is available. It doesn't happen. That's TV talk and filler in between draft picks. No franchise is going to risk the player they want to trade down for a 4th or 5th round pick that may not even make the team. Any franchise that does that is unsuccessful. Every team that traded down coveted players that they were not able to get.
    Dolphins was offered a kings ransom 3 first round picks. Too good to pass up.
    The Eagles traded down after they figured both players Pitts and Chase were going to be taken.
    Cowboys traded down after both corners we taken.
    Giants trade down after Smith was taken
    Vikings traded down after Justin Fields was taken.

It's how the draft works. If Kiper and the rest of them were so successful, why are they not working in a front office. Why wouldn't every NFL team be falling all over themselves to get these guys on TV. They aren't because they are not accountable for all the misses they have.