Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: amari cooper option

He’d probably be cheaper to sign right now

Quote Originally Posted by 4thringtime View Post
    He’d probably be cheaper to sign right now
    It sounds like McKenzie has been in contact with Cooper's agent. The Raiders only have until May 3rd to use the fifth-year option, so time is running out. If they do use it, they can still negotiate and Cooper can sign a new contract at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    It sounds like McKenzie has been in contact with Cooper's agent. The Raiders only have until May 3rd to use the fifth-year option, so time is running out. If they do use it, they can still negotiate and Cooper can sign a new contract at any time.
    I'm not exactly sure how that works. Does exercising the 5th year rookie option make it easier or cheaper to sign a player? I would think if they were really good, getting them signed in the 4th year would be cheaper just in case they have a breakout 5th year. If you sign him and he continues his drops and can't get the separation he got his rookie year, he's just another Sammy Watkins and you have to deal with the guaranteed money and cap hit.

sign him long term now, i have a feeling under gruden he will flourish and demand/deserve daft money next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how that works. Does exercising the 5th year rookie option make it easier or cheaper to sign a player? I would think if they were really good, getting them signed in the 4th year would be cheaper just in case they have a breakout 5th year. If you sign him and he continues his drops and can't get the separation he got his rookie year, he's just another Sammy Watkins and you have to deal with the guaranteed money and cap hit.
    Cooper would earn $13,924,000 in 2019 if the 5th year is picked up by the Raiders. None of the 5th year money is guaranteed, so there is no cap hit if he is cut. If they don't sign him to an extension or take the 5th year by May 3rd, he would be a free agent in 2019. They could still tag him if they wanted to.

Cooper has yet to prove he deserves a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by raider jim View Post
    Cooper has yet to prove he deserves a contract.
    Which is why a contract is less expensive now. How much will it be after a good year under Gruden?

Quote Originally Posted by 4thringtime View Post
    Which is why a contract is less expensive now. How much will it be after a good year under Gruden?
    5th yr option,tag him and trade him for a bounty of high rd picks or tag him again 3 yrs of cheaper pay

Quote Originally Posted by Raideriam View Post
    This......................
    Even post-knee injury, I'd say TB was faster until his early 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I doubt his side will allow him to sign a below market deal. They'd rather wait and see him in Gruden's offense. With the 5th year in hand, essentially he's working with 2 years left on his current deal. Just like Mack we can wait until after the 4th season to start extension talks. It's a nice option for first round picks.