Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DT has to be the pick - right??

DT has to be the pick - right??

So, looking at this from a non ex-player perspective, but here is what I am looking at:

Our best player - Mack - is being negatively impacted by offensive lines being able to double/triple up on him
    Linebackers were feeling the brunt of the lack of push and DTs eating up of blockers
    Secondary feeling the brunt of more available time in the pocket

Looks like we are close to having some serviceable LBs with a hopeful imminent Bowman signing

You add a stud DT and the dominos start to fall. Mack gets less attention which then pressures the QB, or the DT can eat up more blocks allowing the capable LBs of shutting down the run instead of O-line men constantly getting to the second level. Less time in the pocket and instantly the DBs get help.

I just can't see another option where a single position player can have that much of an impact on the whole team. I look at that ~1999 Ravens team that have absolute beasts at DT. That set up their entire defense and helped Ray Lewis dominate (he would have anyway, but that helped tremendously).

I know there are other draft threads, but would love to hear some expert thoughts since I have been seeing a lot of attention being paid to drafting an LB. I just think we would be setting them up for a long season without a lot of help from upfront.

If we go corner I'm going to pull my hair out. We need a middle linebacker signed. If we get boweman we can grab a DT in the first. I think 10 is too high for a linebacker. If we can trade back and grab Edmonds in the first and a defensive tackle in the second

Vea!.....................

FUCK trading back... just get the guy we NEED....I DGAF if it’s a DT or an MLB. These positions are in HUGE need of upgrade. With chucky in charge, I’m not really concerned about offense. Our Defense has been WEAK, especially up the gut

Right now our DLine is Mack, Irvin on the ends. Ellis at the nose and Edwards the 3 Tech. Hester is the backup nose, then we have Latham, Ward left as interior depth. Carradine is edge depth along with Cowser/Calhoun. With the penciled in move of Irvin to DE, we have 2 openings at our LB department. We have Whitehead starting, Lee, James, Wilber, Lamur, Morrow ready to go. Sign Bowman, then it's more palatable to pencil in one of Lee/James/Wilber/Lamur or Morrow at the other LB spot. If no Bowman, looking at Lee starting in the middle again with Morrow/Lamur/Wilber/James on the other side. We may have quantity at the LB spot, but not quality. Bowman makes it a lot better unit, but if not I can see LB as a spot we try to fill in the draft.

Theory wise, I agree, a run stopping, pocket pushing interior helps the LB and DB units excel. I wanted Lotuleilei back in 2013 because he would be a big piece to the defense. When you starting drafting corners, they will look bad without a push on the pocket. All corners are toast if you give an NFL QB time to read.

Sign Bowman then target Vea or Payne if neither one is there I suspect Nelson, Edmunds or even the RB has fallen....when you think about it there are only 9 ahead of us and if two are DTs and three are QBs maybe 4 there are some top players left. 2nd and third will net us the next dart board shots like Ward and MEJ but we have too because we are desperate for a DT that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO Raider View Post
    So, looking at this from a non ex-player perspective, but here is what I am looking at:

Our best player - Mack - is being negatively impacted by offensive lines being able to double/triple up on him
    Linebackers were feeling the brunt of the lack of push and DTs eating up of blockers
    Secondary feeling the brunt of more available time in the pocket

Looks like we are close to having some serviceable LBs with a hopeful imminent Bowman signing

You add a stud DT and the dominos start to fall. Mack gets less attention which then pressures the QB, or the DT can eat up more blocks allowing the capable LBs of shutting down the run instead of O-line men constantly getting to the second level. Less time in the pocket and instantly the DBs get help.

I just can't see another option where a single position player can have that much of an impact on the whole team. I look at that ~1999 Ravens team that have absolute beasts at DT. That set up their entire defense and helped Ray Lewis dominate (he would have anyway, but that helped tremendously).

I know there are other draft threads, but would love to hear some expert thoughts since I have been seeing a lot of attention being paid to drafting an LB. I just think we would be setting them up for a long season without a lot of help from upfront.
    That murderer Ray Lewis always said drafting Ngata was the best thing that ever happened...Think they had Sam Adams and that POS Saragusa..

Quote Originally Posted by 4thringtime View Post
    Sign Bowman then target Vea or Payne if neither one is there I suspect Nelson, Edmunds or even the RB has fallen....when you think about it there are only 9 ahead of us and if two are DTs and three are QBs maybe 4 there are some top players left. 2nd and third will net us the next dart board shots like Ward and MEJ but we have too because we are desperate for a DT that matters.
    What the 4 QBs, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, James, Fitzpatrick, agreed, 1 of Vea/Payne will be there when we pick.

Gads, I hope Gruden can fix Reggie and his high ceiling projects.....in the 2nd /3rd rounds. Menelik Watson.....

Trade back with Cards and take Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by Garner25 View Post
    That murderer Ray Lewis always said drafting Ngata was the best thing that ever happened...Think they had Sam Adams and that POS Saragusa..
    Yep, that was his tackles the first few seasons.