Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Winning Culture

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    you can have both types on the team,its no mutually exclusive,you got your foundation pieces and you add talented pieces around it
    Point is, talent is more important. Hollywood Henderson kept cocaine in his uniform and would snort it on the field while playing the game.

Know why he could get away with it? Because he could ball.

Give me 10 of him over 100 character guys who couldn't play to save their lives any day.

Clearly these Raiders believe they need both high character and talent. It has to be both, esp in leadership positions on the team to build a consistent, winning culture.

Hollywood Hendoerson and cocaine would be a disaster in today’s NFL. All pro athletes and their personal and professional lives are amplified. Character matters tremendously, moreso than when “cocaine was a helluva drug.”

Quote Originally Posted by Imasmashu View Post
    Clearly these Raiders believe they need both high character and talent. It has to be both, esp in leadership positions on the team to build a consistent, winning culture.

Hollywood Hendoerson and cocaine would be a disaster in today’s NFL. All pro athletes and their personal and professional lives are amplified. Character matters tremendously, moreso than when “cocaine was a helluva drug.”
    There was a day, when players could get a way with a lot of things, I remember Bill Walsh, sending season tickets to local police....to look the other way.....but with cameras and social media.....those ducats aren't worth as much as their jobs.

Crizpy, I get what you were trying to say. Don't sweat it. Some people just have to argue everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRaider View Post
    Crizpy, I get what you were trying to say. Don't sweat it. Some people just have to argue everything.
    Thanks. I wasn't saying talent doesn't matter, but whatever I'm over it. The sky is blue, the sun is out and today is a good day.

Gruden and Mayock did draft high character guys and that will matter with this team going forward. However, there is a big issue with the Tom Cable hire still. He is not part of a winning culture - professionally and personally. If he gets shit canned after this year then I will buy into this culture change. Until then, I have to see it to believe it.

If Ferrell blows and is out of the league in 4 years, his character won't mean shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Imasmashu View Post

A dude who can play at a pro bowl level while snorting coke on the field at the same time?

He would be treated as a god.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    you can have both types on the team,its no mutually exclusive,you got your foundation pieces and you add talented pieces around it
    You build with high character guys, but can add some questionable players because of their talent. If the questionable players screw up, you release them.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    A dude who can play at a pro bowl level while snorting coke on the field at the same time?

He would be treated as a god.
    No, he wouldn’t. He would be fined and kicked out of the league. He would be an embarrassment. Wtf? Your logic is impulsive and emotional — often — on this board.