Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I was told

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    I read it.
    Do you remember what book you read it in? Maybe that would help move along this argument/debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post
    Do you remember what book you read it in? Maybe that would help move along this argument/debate.
    I would lean towards the recent snake book, it came out a year or two ago or possibly Badass. I gave the books away after I read them. I don't think it was in the recent AL book.

I read it. Born in 74, wasn't old enough to remember history differently then it occurred.
    You know people disagree with history books all the time? Christopher Columbus?

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post
    You know people disagree with history books all the time? Christopher Columbus?
    Just bringing up Columbus, I know what i'm dealing with now. Actually the Klan started the smear campaign against Columbus in the 20's. The Klan was the muscle of the democrat party. So it makes sense you would bring up columbus.
    Last edited by psly2124; 11-06-2019 at 11:35 AM.

I read it. Born in 74, wasn't old enough to remember history differently then it occurred.
    Problem is; back in the 70's the media was not that great...I mean I live in Rochester NY back then, and I got all the news about Buffalo Bills but to get news about the Raiders was really not that easy....Raiders were in the news because they won alot of games but to find out what going in Oakland and with the team was not easy; unless you lived in the Bay area....I know after Stingley career was ended by Jack Tatum; it did affect the raiders in the coming season in which kinda force Madden to retire from the NFL...I think 78 (might have year wrong) was a dark time in Oakland as Madden retired and then Stabler got traded

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Problem is; back in the 70's the media was not that great...I mean I live in Rochester NY back then, and I got all the news about Buffalo Bills but to get news about the Raiders was really not that easy....Raiders were in the news because they won alot of games but to find out what going in Oakland and with the team was not easy; unless you lived in the Bay area....I know after Stingley career was ended by Jack Tatum; it did affect the raiders in the coming season in which kinda force Madden to retire from the NFL...I think 78 (might have year wrong) was a dark time in Oakland as Madden retired and then Stabler got traded
    Media has always been terrible. They do the same stuff then as the do now. Fake news, make up stories about players they don't like. It was just on a smaller scale. It's possible it could have been more vindictive in the 70's. The writers held real clout with the newspapers. Some of these writers thought they were untouchable and what they wrote swayed public opinion. So getting on a writers bad side, could mean a one way ticket out of town in some cities. Everyone read the newspaper, it was the only source of daily sports news. They had other forms like Sport magazine,Sports Illustrated, and the Sporting News. Thats where most fans got information on their teams that lived in other cities.

8-8

1 – BRONCOS – W

2 – CHIEFS – L

3 - @ VIKINGS – L

4 - @ COLTS – W

5 – BEARS – W

6 - @ PACKERS – L

7 - @ TEXANS – L

8 – LIONS – W

9 – CHARGERS – W

10 – BENGALS – W

11 - @ JETS – L

12 - @ CHIEFS – L

13 – TITANS – W

14 – JAGUARS – L

15 - @ CHARGERS – L

16 - @ BRONCOS – W

100% hit rate and I didn't read it in a book

You have proven once again

Why would a team feel pressure and from who? No danger of losing his job because he was untouchable in your opinion. Nobody thought it was Stablers fault they lost even though he had terrible games in the losses. Nobody was calling for his head, Raider fans must be the only fans in the universe that doesn't put the blame for a loss on the QB, except for Carr. Stabler was immune to negativity from the press and fans. Just Stabler, the only QB to have job security and no fear of getting traded or a new QB to be brought in. Even though AL hated him and they didn't speak for years. But that means nothing. Only douchefan818 selective memory on the event that took place.

How little you know about the Raiders.

Stabler was untouchable?

He started slipping in 1979 and the Raiders missed the playoffs.

He was traded for Dan Pastorini.

Carr has played well the last two games, winning both.

When you get down to it, the only stats that really matter are wins. Stabler consistently won and is on the Hall of Fame.

The Raiders (and Carr) are not as good as the hype and are not as bad as people thought when they were losing.

Go Raiders.

Serious question

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Here's a scoop for you, dimwit.....the entire team felt pressure to win. There's always pressure to win. More so when you've come so close to winning it all so many times.

Got more news for you too, Junior....the pressure didn't end when we beat the Vikings.

5 minutes after the win Stabler is embracing AL and celebrating. Snake says to AL, "We finally did it !" AL's response: "Can you do it again ?"

Always pressure to win. Not the same as being 'run out of town'.

You're boring me now, Junior.

Fuck off.

BEAT THE BOLTS
    Did the poster you responded to start watching the Raiders this year?

He's written that Stabler was good but not elite.

Stabler and the team felt no pressure.

It's almost as if he's never read any Raiders history. As you pointed out, the Raiders always seemed to be able to get to the Conference Championship game before losing to either the Steelers or the Dolphins. Over a period of several years, the Raiders were the most consistently winning team to NOT win the big one.

Until the 1976 season.

Talk about pressure.

But Snake had ice water in his veins. Madden felt the pressure, but Stabler was cool under pressure.

And then in 1979 the Raiders finished 9-7, only good enough for fourth in the AFC West. Stabler's knees were shot. The team was starting to lose some of the talent that carried them through most of the 1970s as consistent winners. Players get old.

The Raiders traded Stabler for Dan Pastorini in 1980.

No NFL player is EVER safe. None.

I remember a story Phil Villapiano told me when I interviewed him. Al Davis called him into his office in the spring of 1980 and asked Phil what he thought about the Raiders getting Bills' receiver Bobby Chandler. Al asked Phil if he thought Chandler would be a good fit with the Raiders, if he had talent to take over for Fred Biletnikoff as the team's possession receiver and if Chandler would be a great teammate.

Phil told Al that if there was any way the Raiders could get Chandler, they should do it, that he might have been good enough to put the Raiders back onto their winning ways.

Al then informed Phil that he had been traded to Buffalo. For Chandler.

He then told Phil that he determined that Phil would not be able to make the 1980 team, that the younger players were doing to win the roster spots. He told Phil that playing in Buffalo would help him extend his career a couple of years, helping him get a better retirement pension.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Did the poster you responded to start watching the Raiders this year?

He's written that Stabler was good but not elite.

Stabler and the team felt no pressure.

It's almost as if he's never read any Raiders history. As you pointed out, the Raiders always seemed to be able to get to the Conference Championship game before losing to either the Steelers or the Dolphins. Over a period of several years, the Raiders were the most consistently winning team to NOT win the big one.

Until the 1976 season.

Talk about pressure.

But Snake had ice water in his veins. Madden felt the pressure, but Stabler was cool under pressure.

And then in 1979 the Raiders finished 9-7, only good enough for fourth in the AFC West. Stabler's knees were shot. The team was starting to lose some of the talent that carried them through most of the 1970s as consistent winners. Players get old.

The Raiders traded Stabler for Dan Pastorini in 1980.

No NFL player is EVER safe. None.

I remember a story Phil Villapiano told me when I interviewed him. Al Davis called him into his office in the spring of 1980 and asked Phil what he thought about the Raiders getting Bills' receiver Bobby Chandler. Al asked Phil if he thought Chandler would be a good fit with the Raiders, if he had talent to take over for Fred Biletnikoff as the team's possession receiver and if Chandler would be a great teammate.

Phil told Al that if there was any way the Raiders could get Chandler, they should do it, that he might have been good enough to put the Raiders back onto their winning ways.

Al then informed Phil that he had been traded to Buffalo. For Chandler.

He then told Phil that he determined that Phil would not be able to make the 1980 team, that the younger players were doing to win the roster spots. He told Phil that playing in Buffalo would help him extend his career a couple of years, helping him get a better retirement pension.

True story.
    No I did not start watching the Raiders this year. And when you try to make an argument, get it factually correct. Where did I say that Stabler felt pressure in "game" situation. I didn't say that one time. I said he felt pressure by the fans and media to win a super bowl. When fans and the media feel and know you have the best team and you don't win the super bowl, they create pressure to win. So if I'm going to make an argument like you do. I will say that you said fans enjoy losing championship games year in and year out. When teams lose championship games and don't win the super bowl. Fans don't care. Fans would rather not get to the super bowl. That's the goal of the season. You see how stupid that sounds. I'm fully aware of the career of Kenny Stabler. Fully aware of how he quit on the team because he didn't get a chance to play. Stabler was an MVP before the super bowl so know he was good. Also before the 76 season, he almost went to the WFL. And quit on his team a 2nd time. Many fans loved Stabler and he could do no wrong, some fans hated him. Al Davis was never a fan. Didn't like his short passing game and didn't like him. They didn't talk for years when he was with the Raiders and decades after he left the Raiders. People on this board think elite players never lose games or throw interceptions. Can someone be "elite" without winning a super bowl? Stabler didn't before 76. Were fans calling him elite before the 76 season. That I can say for sure no one was. WHy because not one fan used the word "elite" in the 70's. Do elite players get into the Hall of Fame 30 years after they retire? Thats up for debate too.
    Last edited by psly2124; 11-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.