Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: College fans, any merit to this ? (JJ McCarthy)

  1. #1

    College fans, any merit to this ? (JJ McCarthy)

    For you guys that watch college ball, what’s your opinion?

    “NFL exec doesn't hold back on Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy
    Originally posted on NFL Analysis Network
    By Matthew Schmidt | Last updated 2/11/24
    Could J.J. McCarthy end up being the best quarterback to come out of the 2024 NFL Draft class?

    While USC’s Caleb Williams and North Carolina’s Drake Maye are considered the top two quarterback prospects this year, it’s McCarthy—who played for the University of Michigan—that a former NFL executive thinks will be the cream of the crop.

    “All the hype is about Caleb Williams. I’m telling you, J.J. McCarthy is going to be the best quarterback in this draft class,” the former exec told the NFL Analysis Network. “The kid has the 'it' factor.”

    McCarthy played three seasons at Michigan and is coming off of a junior campaign in which he threw for 2,991 yards, 22 touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 72.3 percent of his passes.

    Most importantly, McCarthy led the Wolverines to a national championship.

    Not only are Williams and Maye widely viewed as the two best signal-callers coming out of college this spring, but McCarthy typically isn’t even viewed as a top three or four guy.

    Both LSU’s Jayden Daniels and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are generally ranked ahead of McCarthy on most draft boards, and Oregon’s Bo Nix gives McCarthy a run for his money on some lists, too.

    There seems to be a chance that McCarthy falls to the second round, so whoever nabs him may be getting a steal.

    McCarthy took over as Michigan’s full-time starter during his sophomore year in 2022, totaling 2,719 yards, 22 touchdowns and five picks while completing 64.6 percent of his throws. He also rushed for 306 yards and five scores while averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

    While McCarthy isn’t exactly Lamar Jackson, he is athletic enough where he can be dubbed somewhat of a dual threat, and teams will certainly be taking that into consideration at draft time.

    We will see if McCarthy ends up being a riser or a faller in a couple of months”

  2. #2
    dont be surprised if jj isnt #3 qb in this draft, lots of nfl exxec see his skill set and smarts as translating to the N.F.L. seamlessly and because he can run becomes a dual threat type of qb

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    10,027
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    dont be surprised if jj isnt #3 qb in this draft, lots of nfl exxec see his skill set and smarts as translating to the N.F.L. seamlessly and because he can run becomes a dual threat type of qb
    I would not be surprised if Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy are all off the board by our 13th pick. Too many QB hurgry teams.

  4. #4
    If the Raiders can't get Jayden Daniels, then I would not be upset if the Raiders draft JJ McCarthy at #13 (IF he is still available at 13).
    I too think the kid is going to be very good...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    10,027
    I think Denver is going to select Nix or McCarthy with the 12th pick.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    I think Denver is going to select Nix or McCarthy with the 12th pick.
    Agree, many mocks having them go that path. It will be interesting to see how everything shacks out after the Fields decision goes down.

    If we can't get Daniels I'd rather take a later pick on Rattler.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRaider2010 View Post
    For you guys that watch college ball, what’s your opinion?

    “NFL exec doesn't hold back on Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy
    Originally posted on NFL Analysis Network
    By Matthew Schmidt | Last updated 2/11/24
    Could J.J. McCarthy end up being the best quarterback to come out of the 2024 NFL Draft class?

    While USC’s Caleb Williams and North Carolina’s Drake Maye are considered the top two quarterback prospects this year, it’s McCarthy—who played for the University of Michigan—that a former NFL executive thinks will be the cream of the crop.

    “All the hype is about Caleb Williams. I’m telling you, J.J. McCarthy is going to be the best quarterback in this draft class,” the former exec told the NFL Analysis Network. “The kid has the 'it' factor.”

    McCarthy played three seasons at Michigan and is coming off of a junior campaign in which he threw for 2,991 yards, 22 touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 72.3 percent of his passes.

    Most importantly, McCarthy led the Wolverines to a national championship.

    Not only are Williams and Maye widely viewed as the two best signal-callers coming out of college this spring, but McCarthy typically isn’t even viewed as a top three or four guy.

    Both LSU’s Jayden Daniels and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are generally ranked ahead of McCarthy on most draft boards, and Oregon’s Bo Nix gives McCarthy a run for his money on some lists, too.

    There seems to be a chance that McCarthy falls to the second round, so whoever nabs him may be getting a steal.

    McCarthy took over as Michigan’s full-time starter during his sophomore year in 2022, totaling 2,719 yards, 22 touchdowns and five picks while completing 64.6 percent of his throws. He also rushed for 306 yards and five scores while averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

    While McCarthy isn’t exactly Lamar Jackson, he is athletic enough where he can be dubbed somewhat of a dual threat, and teams will certainly be taking that into consideration at draft time.

    We will see if McCarthy ends up being a riser or a faller in a couple of months”
    Not a fan of taking JJ. One reason is if you look at his stats they gave him the ball less and less in games, less passing attempts per game. I'm not seeing it with this guy, but if that's who we take then we will see what happens.

    The big issue is there is a case to be made for all 12 teams picking before us to take a QB.

  8. #8
    JJ had a lot of padded stats in an offense that protected him. Look at this throws outside the hashes. Look at how often his throws are one read over the middle with a lot of playaction based off of their elite run game. He rarely made more than 2 reads. He's actually a perfect Shanahan offense type of QB and hey he could be great for all I know but I'm not all that impressed with him. Brock Purdy's college stats look pretty comparable to JJ's college stats and he was on a far worse team.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    JJ had a lot of padded stats in an offense that protected him. Look at this throws outside the hashes. Look at how often his throws are one read over the middle with a lot of playaction based off of their elite run game. He rarely made more than 2 reads. He's actually a perfect Shanahan offense type of QB and hey he could be great for all I know but I'm not all that impressed with him. Brock Purdy's college stats look pretty comparable to JJ's college stats and he was on a far worse team.
    Yup. He'll go higher than he should, hes expected to look good in running drills at the combine. I wouldnt take him the first rd.

  10. #10
    This kid is gonna impress at the combine and shoot up boards, he can make all the throws, he can move in the pocket, can use his legs when he needs to, is an very smart kid, expect him to absolutely kill tests and interviews, this kid is going to shine, I believe in the end he will be good but not great,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •