Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiders Dumped Over 75% of McDaniels Playbook

Thats the thing that will make or break an NFL coach, can you take the players you are given and make them into winners. I still remember Greg Knapp trying to make Carson Palmer run a bootleg.

Quote Originally Posted by raider jim View Post
    Exactly my point about a04 not being able to execute a pro offense at this point. Will he ever? I don't know, but it hasn't looked good so far.
    Brady is probably the only QB who did well with McDaniels playbook and I think he changed a lot of plays at the line.

maybe that's why its so easy to adjust the defense to this offense since there are a limited amount of plays being run, i don't know. Didn't one of our offensive players say the other defense is calling out our offensive play before the snap? Sounds like the Super Bowl against Tampa all over again where John Lynch said on the sidelines during the Super Bowl that their defense practiced every play we were running on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Brady is probably the only QB who did well with McDaniels playbook and I think he changed a lot of plays at the line.
    One of the biggest things Gruden was a proponent about was reps, the amount of reps you run in practice. Given the CBA and limitations on practice time a massive playbook like Grudens/McDaniels can be a detriment to a team. Not only are you to run reps, but run it to perfection. When you have a guy like Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes essentially being the coach on the field, they will get a few of the guys to run reps past the CBA limitations on practice time, the coaches maybe in their office or whatever, but Brady be out there making sure they run it enough times in practice to run it on Sundays....so a lot of the practice reps that happens after the CBA limitations, McDaniels would have no idea. Brady, his center and guards can work on a quick count QB sneak, when he feels their DTs are gassed. Brady will go off script a ton. Hurry up offense to tire out the defense on a 14 play drive. The TE and slot receivers maybe Brady's 3rd and 4th reads, so he will need time to read his progressions. I do not think we were able to get the pass protection Brady had back then.

our current playbook has been no better in the last 2 losses, so we lack in talent on offense either way ??? or the play calling still stinks and is easily defended

I think the play calling since McDumbass was dumped has been fine. It comes down to better execution at key points of the game. In the KC game Adams broke free for what would have been a TD, but he was interfered with and no call. On a third down, Jacobs dropped the ball. To beat the Chiefs we can’t have drops, we need a call or two, we need to get a turnover or two and we can’t turn the ball over. We didn’t do the first, we didn’t get the second, we didn’t get the third and we accomplished the fourth. We also played penalty free football.

Progress.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    I think the play calling since McDumbass was dumped has been fine. It comes down to better execution at key points of the game. In the KC game Adams broke free for what would have been a TD, but he was interfered with and no call. On a third down, Jacobs dropped the ball. To beat the Chiefs we canít have drops, we need a call or two, we need to get a turnover or two and we canít turn the ball over. We didnít do the first, we didnít get the second, we didnít get the third and we accomplished the fourth. We also played penalty free football.

Progress.
    Early on in the KC game, they could not get to O'Connell, so they dialed up a few blitzes, we never adjusted or at least who we thought was blitzing dropped into coverage. They also ran a delayed LB blitz, he'd show coverage first then makes a 15 yard sprint at O'Connell. Lots of stuff where a full TC would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Thats the thing that will make or break an NFL coach, can you take the players you are given and make them into winners. I still remember Greg Knapp trying to make Carson Palmer run a bootleg.
    JFC we are literally cursed. Bonehead coaches who just run whatever they want based off of pure ego.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    I think the play calling since McDumbass was dumped has been fine. It comes down to better execution at key points of the game. In the KC game Adams broke free for what would have been a TD, but he was interfered with and no call. On a third down, Jacobs dropped the ball. To beat the Chiefs we canít have drops, we need a call or two, we need to get a turnover or two and we canít turn the ball over. We didnít do the first, we didnít get the second, we didnít get the third and we accomplished the fourth. We also played penalty free football.

Progress.
    Agreed. I don't really have a problem with the play calling. AO is finding guys open. Sometimes he holds the ball too long. Sometimes he whiffs on a deep ball. He's a rook and he's learning so that's part of the deal. Our bread and butter run play is the inside zone that is easy to spot so it's not like certain plays need to be disguised because most of the time they can't be so execution like you said is what it boils down to. Carl's Jr calling the plays has to realize what the defense will bring and adjust his protection calls for the plays he's dialing up and our players have to out execute the defense.

The team is playing to its level, imo. The o-line is bang average and we're getting average results. Jacobs looks like he's finally in game shape and AO is spreading the ball around. If they tighten a few things up then the offense could rise to above average if they consistently execute.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Agreed. I don't really have a problem with the play calling. AO is finding guys open. Sometimes he holds the ball too long. Sometimes he whiffs on a deep ball. He's a rook and he's learning so that's part of the deal. Our bread and butter run play is the inside zone that is easy to spot so it's not like certain plays need to be disguised because most of the time they can't be so execution like you said is what it boils down to. Carl's Jr calling the plays has to realize what the defense will bring and adjust his protection calls for the plays he's dialing up and our players have to out execute the defense.

The team is playing to its level, imo. The o-line is bang average and we're getting average results. Jacobs looks like he's finally in game shape and AO is spreading the ball around. If they tighten a few things up then the offense could rise to above average if they consistently execute.
    Agree. Playcalling has been ok. My only issue with playcalling, and it was the same with McDaniels and Gruden, is everyone in the world knows when we are running RB screens. When you have a 3rd down back only come in to certain situations, it can be schemed for by other coaches. The OL is what is holding this team back from being anything above average. That's all on the previous regime. We are playing at our level like you said. I just hope to see some improvements as the season goes....and beat the fucking Broncos.