Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's be brutally honest

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    I fell for this team in the 76-77 season. I was living in a Bronco dominated area and I remember the Raiders coming through and beating them like a drum. I recall the pure hatred those A Holes had towards the Raiders. Deranged anger. I was hooked. Great players. Cast offs and outlaws but excellent players. I loved Stork. I loved the Soul patrol secondary, Snake, Matuzak, Sistrunk the list goes on Branch, Billitnikoff….. the 80s were great. More exceptional players. The end of the 91 season was the end for a while. Then Gruden era was great. Been SHIT since. I used to be consumed by the Raiders, lived and died. That’s been gone for me for about 20 years. I watch, I love the team, but I’m not consumed anymore.
    It’s sad in a way. The losing takes a lot of the passion for the team away. I had to say that I enjoyed the few times I watched the Eagle play this year and over the past couple of decades I’ve thought about how a few teams seemed to be more of the Raider way of playing than the Raiders did.

I never really get mad or upset at them losing unless they get dicked over by a shit call or something ridiculous happens. Like after the Rams game this year, I semi checked out on the season because of how embarrassing that loss was.

I get pissed off and embarrassed to be a fan of them when they make fucking stupid draft picks, free agency pick ups, trades, front office moves, etc. I still remember watching the 2019 draft at a bar with a Raiders shirt on (I live in Cleveland) and hoping this would be a huge turn around for the team. 3 first round draft picks, one of them super early. We should be getting 3, day 1, instant impact starters. Then they drafted fucking Ferrell at 4 and people at the bar were laughing. Browns and Steelers fans, together, laughing at the pick. "Raiders gonna Raider. He must have the fastest 40 of all the defensive lineman" is what I heard from a Steelers fan. I had not been that pissed about the draft since they draft Heyward-Bey. I actually left the bar and went home and didn't even watch the rest of the draft. I kept up with who they drafted and was meh on Jacobs simply because he's a running back and doesn't contribute out of the backfield. I knew Abram would bust. I was just so fucking down about that whole first round.

I think it comes down to that I know games are usually won and lost on talent and coaching. I know when we don't have the talent(2004-2015, 2018-2020) or when our coaching (like this past year) fails us. Our talent fails us because of the stupidity of the offseason moves for the most part and it's been that way for the better part of 35 years now. Our coaching fails us because we hire some retread or someone else no one wants. We never seem to make the correct coaching decision. Somehow about 25 NFL teams (some teams have done it more than once) can snag an up and coming HC who does wonders for them yet...we never can. It's just amazing to me that an organization can keep making the same mistakes and never fix them. It's like we are just stuck in an endless cycle where we never get any better, we tear down a team that never was any better than a wildcard exit, and we rebuild every 2-3 years. It's just....exhausting sometimes.
    Last edited by Ra1derfan53; 05-16-2023 at 03:40 PM.

I don't get upset like I used to before because of all the losing the Raiders have been doing for the last 20 years, Its almost expected. But I still watch every game and think every season is the season they will turn it around. I've been a Raider fan since the 70s and the game has changed a lot. Can't play dirty like before and intimidate the opponents. Now we have to beat the opponent and the refs every game.

The terrible drafting is what has put this team at the bottom for so many years more than anything else. If we can just put together a few seasons of good drafting we may have something.

I still catch every Raider game; but it has been bad for the last 20 years being Raider fan...the last time the raiders were a force was when Gruden/Gannon were running the show and the Raiders were badass during that time....I still follow the Raiders; but kinda watch the game in a numb state; been a long time where a game has gotten me out of my seat....

Another point is; there was a reason why Al Davis never let Mark run the team while he was alive; he not that good at it; sure new town; brand new stadium but the product on the field is still shit

I am just as interested as I have always been. The only difference is I have a far bleeker outlook than I used to and I dont get as mad at how bad the team sucks as I used to. But thats not because I am less of a fan its because the Raiders have been a total hijacked dumpster crashing into a sewage train for a couple decades.

I have missed very few games since I can remember. Maybe a handful and that would be because it would have been impossible to watch them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    It’s sad in a way. The losing takes a lot of the passion for the team away. I had to say that I enjoyed the few times I watched the Eagle play this year and over the past couple of decades I’ve thought about how a few teams seemed to be more of the Raider way of playing than the Raiders did.
    That’s funny, I was thinking the same thing about the eagles. I like their style of play also. I’m of course aware of your position on the qb position for the Raiders, but I am terrified that Garropolo is going to get injured and we are SCREWED.

as I've gotten older (and wiser) the Raiders aren't something I lose sleep over. For God's sake I cried a few times when we lost back in the 70's. I think most of it is that we are all conditioned to losing. This shit show has been going on for 20 years with a few glimmers of hope. The Raiders truly have the best fan base. I've seen them in Cleveland,Indy, Tenn, Cincy,Chicago. We travel WELL. I havent missed a Raider game in 20 plus years. I have the Sunday ticket through Direct TV. Now You Tube has the ticket and I made the switch just so I can see the Raiders. I've been a Raider fan for over 50 yrs. I truly believe I was born a Raider fan. I retire in a few years and I have big Raider plans. In answering the question....the losses don't hurt as much anymore. When I shut the TV off I've moved on. It used to sting for 2-3 days. Kids,grandkids, too much else to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    You kinda nailed it; we got so use to losing that it in our DNA....bit like we lose to the Chiefs 31-21 and say 'wow that was a close game, we could have won if this happen or that happen' or just go back to blaming it on the refs is why we loss...

Right now the raiders need to put a couple of good season together making the playoffs and maybe sniffing the superbowl to really start getting our hope up again; hopefully the new QB will take the helms like Rich Gannon did and really get the Raiders to start believing in themselves again....

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    That’s funny, I was thinking the same thing about the eagles. I like their style of play also. I’m of course aware of your position on the qb position for the Raiders, but I am terrified that Garropolo is going to get injured and we are SCREWED.
    I hear you and have the same concerns. Would it not be great to see O’Connell turn out to be the next Brady? And for Wilson to be the next Howie Long and for Mayer to be the next Dave Casper — all in the same draft? We are due for a break out draft at some point, aren’t we, after rolling nothing but crap for years?

Jesus man…. What a beautiful thing that could be! I’m unsure about O Connell, I know he’s accurate and mentally tough. Had plenty of adversity that he fought through so maybe it’s dumb to bet against a guy like that