Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2023 NFL Free Agency

I do remember being stoked when we signed Littleton because it was the weakest position group on the team and years later it still is.

I know some people want the Raiders to pick CB Christian Gonzalez for pick #7 and that would be a good pick since this guy has height and speed, but what is more important in a defense, a good front four or a good back four? In my opinion it would be a good front four, which means we should pick a DT as our pick #7 or one of the elite DEs in this draft, but preferably a dominant DT. Every NFL QB, if given time, will find the open receiver no matter how good the DB or S are. They can't cover a good WR or TE for an extended period of time, especially as the game progresses.

I think a good front four can make an average back four look good and a bad front four can make a good back four look bad.
    Last edited by DARAIDAHS; 03-27-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DARAIDAHS View Post
    I know some people want the Raiders to pick CB Christian Gonzalez for pick #7 and that would be a good pick since this guy has height and speed, but what is more important in a defense, a good front four or a good back four? In my opinion it would be a good front four, which means we should pick a DT as our pick #7 or one of the elite DEs in this draft, but preferably a dominant DT. Every NFL QB, if given time, will find the open receiver no matter how good the DB or S are. They can't cover a good WR or TE for an extended period of time, especially as the game progresses.

I think a good front four can make an average back four look good and a bad front four can make a good back four look bad.
    That why outside a QB they really like I want Carter, baggage and all. He would make Max and Chandler so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    That why outside a QB they really like I want Carter, baggage and all. He would make Max and Chandler so much better.
    Garoppolo's cap hit is $16.3M in 2023. It goes up to $28M in 2024 with a $18.75M dead cap hit if released in 2024. Are the Raiders really going to take a QB in
    the first round to sit for two years? Are they going to start a rookie next year and pay Jimmy G $28M to sit on the bench? Garoppolo has a dead cap hit of $3.75M
    in 2025. That's when he can be replaced by a rookie.

McDaniels is now talking best player availale in the draft and hopefully that's a defensive player. We need a DT more than an edge rusher. Carter should be at the top of Raiders
    draft board.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Garoppolo's cap hit is $16.3M in 2023. It goes up to $28M in 2024 with a $18.75M dead cap hit if released in 2024. Are the Raiders really going to take a QB in
    the first round to sit for two years? Are they going to start a rookie next year and pay Jimmy G $28M to sit on the bench? Garoppolo has a dead cap hit of $3.75M
    in 2025. That's when he can be replaced by a rookie.

McDaniels is now talking best player availale in the draft and hopefully that's a defensive player. We need a DT more than an edge rusher. Carter should be at the top of Raiders
    draft board.
    well 2024 if we took a qb this yr, we could always trade off jimmy g off for draft pick and spread the dead cap post june

Better draft Carter... and let him wreck the middle for this defense.
    The difference between 2021 and 2022 Raider D was the 2021 D got way more push up the middle

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    well 2024 if we took a qb this yr, we could always trade off jimmy g off for draft pick and spread the dead cap post june
    If Garoppolo does well this season, he will be the starting QB in 2024. If he does bad, or gets hurt, no team will trade for him with a $28M salary.
    If the Raiders cut Garoppolo, they get hit with over $18M in dead cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    If Garoppolo does well this season, he will be the starting QB in 2024. If he does bad, or gets hurt, no team will trade for him with a $28M salary.
    If the Raiders cut Garoppolo, they get hit with over $18M in dead cap.
    28 is the cap hit to us, IF we keep him in 2024. Dead to us, he would be the 11 roster bonus, payable 5th day of 2024 and the unaccounted signing bonus of 7.5 million. The team getting him would owe him the base of 11.25, all unguaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    28 is the cap hit to us, IF we keep him in 2024. Dead to us, he would be the 11 roster bonus, payable 5th day of 2024 and the unaccounted signing bonus of 7.5 million. The team getting him would owe him the base of 11.25, all unguaranteed.
    that would make jimmy g cheap to a team needing a qb and wanting to trade for him, we also have a lot of dead cap space coming off the books in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    that would make jimmy g cheap to a team needing a qb and wanting to trade for him, we also have a lot of dead cap space coming off the books in 2024
    We could possibly split that 18 dead in to 2 years as well for Jimmy G. Also, 11 million of that 18 dead is a roster bonus due to pay on the 5th day of NFL Year 2024.....so that could be a negotiating tool when we decide we should trade him. We split the roster bonus in 2 for a lower round draft pick, or we pay and eat the entire 11 million roster bonus for a pick in a higher round. That base salary for a veteran NFL QB is very cheap.