Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

A few mock drafts have him going to the Raiders at 7, or them moving up a couple spots to get him.

The Good
    Extremely accurate
    Throws accurately at all levels on most plays
    Able to roll out, reset and throw
    Able to run for first downs and move the pocket to complete passes downfield
    Able to put touch on throws

The questions
    In many games, the Ohio State OL gave him a ridiculous amount of time to throw
    He had an elite receiver, Marvin Harrison, Jr., and quality skill players surrounding him compared to most competition
    Looks to throw first and foremost and is not a huge threat to run in most games
    Has an above average arm, but does not appear to be elite

I watched his highlights from the game against Georgia. He seemed to run more this game and clearly stepped up his game against this truly elite team with numerous first rounders on defense. His play in this game, against a great team, is probably our best snapshot into how he would perform against NFL caliber defenses.

Without his top receiver and less than a minute left on the clock, Stroud used his legs and arm to put Ohio State in a position to win the game. He got them into FG territory for the win, but the Ohio State kicker missed badly.

https://youtu.be/kYGrwTMfxZY

Whomever we get for QB, I think they need to be a high IQ type along with the usual physical traits due to Josh's system.

I be more than happy if the Raiders draft a QB in the first round and go from there

Id be happy with Stroud at 7. Doubt hes there and I dont think we take any QB early. McDaniels wants a vet, Brady for certain. He knows he has to win more games in 2023 to get to 2024.

Stroud is polarizing to me. I'm and OSU guy but Stroud was infuriating at times. Against Georgia he balled out and he actually used his legs to make things happen. In other games during the year, he would sit back there and pat the ball for 15 seconds before throwing the ball out of bounds. Specifically against michigan, michigan dropped their backers deeper than normal and Stroud had chances to take off and gain first downs and he just....wouldn't. That being said the dude has a great arm, very accurate, and he can buy time in the pocket. I have concerns that when he gets knocked off his game, he can struggle. I could probably be ok with Stroud, assuming he does what he did against Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra1derfan53 View Post
    Stroud is polarizing to me. I'm and OSU guy but Stroud was infuriating at times. Against Georgia he balled out and he actually used his legs to make things happen. In other games during the year, he would sit back there and pat the ball for 15 seconds before throwing the ball out of bounds. Specifically against michigan, michigan dropped their backers deeper than normal and Stroud had chances to take off and gain first downs and he just....wouldn't. That being said the dude has a great arm, very accurate, and he can buy time in the pocket. I have concerns that when he gets knocked off his game, he can struggle. I could probably be ok with Stroud, assuming he does what he did against Georgia.
    Against Georgia, he was lights out. And yes, he used his legs to keep drives alive and OU in the game.

Against other opponents, not so much. He looked more like Carr, standing back there and afraid to run even when he had his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Against Georgia, he was lights out. And yes, he used his legs to keep drives alive and OU in the game.

Against other opponents, not so much. He looked more like Carr, standing back there and afraid to run even when he had his chances.
    Yea and that's why he's polarizing to me. He has the athletic ability but he just wouldn't use it much like Carr. Now I think he heard all the criticism with that and that's why he went all out in the playoff. If we get playoff Stroud, he's well worth the 7th overall pick

He has some skills but I hope we don't draft him and he ends up to be another JaMeatloaf. I do think if he is on the board and we stay at #7 that we will take him.

CJ Stroud had a good game until Marvin Harrison Jr got hurt. He had 29 yards passing after Harrison left the game and they only managed to score a field goal as well. That's what concerns me. I don't want another QB who needs everything to be perfect to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    CJ Stroud had a good game until Marvin Harrison Jr got hurt. He had 29 yards passing after Harrison left the game and they only managed to score a field goal as well. That's what concerns me. I don't want another QB who needs everything to be perfect to be effective.
    He had elite players around him, for sure. MHJR was one of the best in the NCAA.

Look at the QBs who are in the playoffs and the ones that aren’t. The NFL has changed. A “pocket” QB who stands back there and delivers the ball isn’t as effective as a QB who can escape and create.

Stroud CAN move in the pocket and run for first downs, but will he? Carr COULD move in the pocket and run for first downs, but did he?