Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 767

Thread: The Enigma that is Derek Carr

  1. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNationPaul68 View Post
    Raiders are not Commitment To Excellence anymore, they are Commitment To Losing, so they will bring back the losing Carr, to add to his stat, he great at, Losing.

    Unfortunately for us true Raiders fans, this is true!

  2. #272

    Great win, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Coachdd11 View Post
    Unfortunately for us true Raiders fans, this is true!
    It was a great win yesterday, a great team win, with Josh Jacobs and a defense that took advantage of two Seahawk turnovers. But.

    We won our second game in a row, and many are celebrating. The fact is that this is the second overtime win in row. If the ball bounces just a little differently, we are 2-9 instead of 4-7.

    This has been the Raiders under Carr. We either lose big, lose by one score, or win by one score. In his 9 years with the Raiders, I can onlyl remember a handful of games in which we won BIG.

    We've had our chances, but we have never delivered.

    Under Carr, what have we seen?

    We take the lead then our offense takes a quarter off instead of pouring it on.

    We see inconsistencies, like we saw yesterday. We saw two INTs in the first quarter, putting us behind the 8 ball.

    We see him throw for a lot of yards, but few TD passes. This has been Carr's game consistently since his third season, when he was injured.

    We Carr crumble under the slightest bit of pressure, and we see him not take advantage of man defense by running the ball for big gains.

    So what does all of this add up to?

    Carr has a lot of opportunities for come from behind wins because his play does not snuff out teams' when we have a lead.

    We score just enough points to make it close, but not enough to win games and put teams away.

    We rarely take away the running game from our oppositions, because they are always "in the game." As a result, unlike teams that pour it on, our defense can't just pin their ears back and rush the passer. This results in fewer sacks.

    We either win or lose close games because we always seem to be in one score games. When the ball bounces our way, we have a season slightly over .500 and might make the playoffs (2021 season), but when the ball bounces the other way, we have a losing season.

    We lose games we should win, and win a few games we should likely lose -- just enough to give us hope that Carr is the answer.

    Folks, yesterday, Josh Jacobs carried this team on his back. He had more yards from scrimmage than Derek Carr threw for in the game. In our wins this season, it was Josh Jacobs who stepped up and imposed his will on the opposition.

    Derek Carr is an effective game manager, but that's it. He can't carry a team, especially since his injury in 2016. He rarely extends plays with his legs, misses wide open receivers and will make costly mistakes. He is largely ineffective in the red zone, although he throws for enough yards to make many believe he is an effective quarterback.

    At this point, we have won three games against teams well under .500 and one game against a team above .500. We lost to the Chiefs by one point, giving us hope, then lost to teams that we should have beaten easily. Some put these losses on our coach, but the one constant through all of these losing seasons has been Derek Carr.

    I would much rather lose every one of our remaining games and have a chance at a franchise QB than win two or three more, end up 6-11 or 7-10, and believe that things have started to turn the corner for the Raiders. They have in some ways, and haven't in others. Our young offensive line is coming together, our defense is playing better and our running game is one of the league's best.

    But we have the same old Derek Carr at QB. Until that changes, we will be a mediocre franchise and will have the third worst QB in a four team division.

  3. #273
    There is no excuse for how bad this defense is and that has nothing to do with Carr. I am not a Carr apologist but good lord almighty, we score 40 pts and have to win in OT.

  4. #274
    All I’ve ever seen is that Carr is awful. He can’t get it done. He’s the common denominator for all failures. All other reasons mean nothing. He just doesn’t have it. He’s not capable. His teammates and coaches all love him, but from what I’ve seen, they’re all wrong. He’s just a nice guy and blinds them. They don’t know football…..

  5. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    All I’ve ever seen is that Carr is awful. He can’t get it done. He’s the common denominator for all failures. All other reasons mean nothing. He just doesn’t have it. He’s not capable. His teammates and coaches all love him, but from what I’ve seen, they’re all wrong. He’s just a nice guy and blinds them. They don’t know football…..
    This looks like a straw man response. I cant stand DC as QB for multiple reasons and have been ready to move on since 2018 but I have always realized all the other weaknesses as well. Yes the defense has sucked as have multiple coaches and players. However Carr is the leader on offense and I have consistently seen him have fatal flaws in his game that dont seem to improve. His contract is just way too big for his contributions. He is a mediocre QB that does throw beautiful dimes on occasion mixed with some deep ball floaters that consistently bring rain and is usually good for some epic brain fart throws and turnovers/fumbles. He is getting what I believe is good to great franchise QB money for being a mediocre to decent QB.

    You have read all this before to I am not telling you anything new but your response above just reads petulant to me so I had to respond.

    His contract next year and after will hurt the Raiders cap space and diminish spending on the defense. His shoes can be filled at a much lower cost IMO.

  6. #276

    You see it, brother

    Quote Originally Posted by xramfan View Post
    This looks like a straw man response. I cant stand DC as QB for multiple reasons and have been ready to move on since 2018 but I have always realized all the other weaknesses as well. Yes the defense has sucked as have multiple coaches and players. However Carr is the leader on offense and I have consistently seen him have fatal flaws in his game that dont seem to improve. His contract is just way too big for his contributions. He is a mediocre QB that does throw beautiful dimes on occasion mixed with some deep ball floaters that consistently bring rain and is usually good for some epic brain fart throws and turnovers/fumbles. He is getting what I believe is good to great franchise QB money for being a mediocre to decent QB.

    You have read all this before to I am not telling you anything new but your response above just reads petulant to me so I had to respond.

    His contract next year and after will hurt the Raiders cap space and diminish spending on the defense. His shoes can be filled at a much lower cost IMO.
    The only way we will ever win a Super Bowl with Carr if we give him the best OL, WRs and running game in the league, as well as a top 5 defense that creates turnovers.

    In other words, he is a game manager level of QB.

    Is he worth $40 million next year? No way. Is he even worth $25 million per year? No way.

    He is worth $10 million to $15 million per year tops.

    He is not elite. Has our defense sucked at times? Yes.

    But he is inconsistent. He plays below average in the red zone. He makes stupid mistakes. He cannot buy time with his legs. He lacks pocket awareness.

  7. #277
    This whole thread is nothing but petulant. Sorry if mine was offensive to you. I’d say there’s a very minimal chance that there will be a different qb next year. Nobody can seem to accept it and move on. I don’t diminish anyone for speaking their point of view. I at least appreciate you doing so like an adult.

  8. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    The only way we will ever win a Super Bowl with Carr if we give him the best OL, WRs and running game in the league, as well as a top 5 defense that creates turnovers.

    In other words, he is a game manager level of QB.

    Is he worth $40 million next year? No way. Is he even worth $25 million per year? No way.

    He is worth $10 million to $15 million per year tops.

    He is not elite. Has our defense sucked at times? Yes.

    But he is inconsistent. He plays below average in the red zone. He makes stupid mistakes. He cannot buy time with his legs. He lacks pocket awareness.
    The market sets the price. You are completely out of touch with your numbers. Keep up your thesis though, even though you will be disappointed again next season.

  9. #279
    The issue with him is that even in a down year for QB play, he's on the cusp of being a top 10 QB in this league. He should be a top 5 QB considering Stafford, Brady, and Rodgers have stunk up the joint, but he has not played at that level.

    That's what's concerning to me. He's a pretty good QB in terms of arm talent but he doesn't have top 5 QB talent between his ears. Even if we give him a top 5 defense, I still don't see us winning more than a divisional playoff game with his happy feet panicking in the pocket.

  10. #280
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Poconos, PA
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    This whole thread is nothing but petulant. Sorry if mine was offensive to you. I’d say there’s a very minimal chance that there will be a different qb next year. Nobody can seem to accept it and move on. I don’t diminish anyone for speaking their point of view. I at least appreciate you doing so like an adult.
    Hey Vioraider, maybe somebody will make a bet that Carr won't be the starting QB next season. Loser leaves the board forever.
    That bet was already made and the loser is still here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •