Thread: Analysis of QB's around the league

Analysis of QB's around the league

I took the time this morning to do a more detailed analysis of QB performances of 28 QBs the past four seasons. Click on the picture below to see the full analysis -- number of yards thrown each year, as well as the number of TD passes and the yards passing to TD pass ratio. That last column is the yards passing to TD passes thrown ratio. The lower the better, the more efficient the QB has been in turning yards passing into TD passes.

While a few of the QBs did not have a full four years of data, it is still very interesting to see which QBs are the best at turning yards into TD passes. I would say that the data analysis is less meaningful for those who played fewer than four years or were in back-up roles part of the this time. However, the trends are very meaningful in a passing league.

Of course, this is just one metric. But in a passing league, where QBs are the most important player on teams, this is very relevant, I believe. Passing for a lot of yards is not as important as turning those yards into TDs.

Who has been the best the past four years from among the QBs I analyzed? Russell Wilson, followed by Drew Brees (second place) then Patrick Mahomes and Aarron Rodgers (tied for third).

Where does Derek Carr stand? He's near the bottom in this metric, better than Drew Lock but worse than Daniel Jones. While some may try to rationalize this poor showing, I would point to the fact that the data is for four years, Derek Carr was playing in the same offensive system for all of those years, and it's not just a one season anomaly.

The last row is an analysis of Carr's stats pre-injury -- 2014-2016. He is a much different QB now than he was early in his career.

I like data, as it can either confirm or derail whatever personal feelings we might have about a player.

Some will enjoy seeing this analysis. Some will try to rationalize what the data show. It's just data.

Capture QB comparisons.JPGCapture QB comparisons.JPG
    Last edited by raiderman41; 01-21-2022 at 09:19 AM.

for those laughing at kirk cousins he leads derek carr by 35 tds over the 4 yr stretch that's like 8 more tds per yr every yr for 4 yrs and derek carr only leads kirk cousin by about 700 yds passing

You get it

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    for those laughing at kirk cousins he leads derek carr by 35 tds over the 4 yr stretch that's like 8 more tds per yr every yr for 4 yrs and derek carr only leads kirk cousin by about 700 yds passing
    Yards passing mean little without TDs. An effective QB turns those yards into TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Yards passing mean little without TDs. An effective QB turns those yards into TDs.
    I agree 100% yds mean nothing if your not scoring tds, Mr derek carr sucks with tds and is even worse in the rz

You get it

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post