Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm proud of this team

I'm proud of this team

We may disagree with what it will take to get the Raiders to the next level, but I'm proud of this team. This team faced more adversity than probably any other team in history -- and it still made it to the playoffs. They fought hard. They fought the entire season. And they nearly beat an up and coming Cincinnati team on their home field in the playoffs.

What happened this season?

We lost our starting left guard in the preseason, and he didn't play a single game.

We lost our starting right guard in the first game, and he, too, never returned for another game. In short, we never had our projected starting offensive line play even one snap together all year.

We lost our starting defensive tackle in the first game and he was out the rest of the year.

We lost our most effective pass rushing and run stopping defensive tackle to injury in the San Diego game, losing him for the playoff game.

We lost our starting running back to an injury early in the season. He returned, was injured again, played through injury and really turned it on at the end of the season.

We lost our starting fullback to injury in November, and he never returned.

We lost our second string running back to injury in the season and he never returned.

We lost our second leading tackler to injury about three quarters of the way through the season and he missed the final games and the playoffs.

We lost our head coach early in the season.

We lost our starting WR and deep threat early in the season to DUI/homicide.

We lost one of our cornerbacks and former first round draft pick because of a stupid online video threat.

We lost one of our starting LBs before the season even started and he was only activated for the playoff game, but didn't play.

We lost our most dangerous receiver for several games at the end of the season and he wasn't 100% for the playoffs.

The injuries, the adversity this team faced was ridiculous. But yet they battled on.

I was telling everybody that my only goal for the 2021-2022 Raiders was to appear in a playoff game. Even at full strength I couldn't see the Raiders beating a playoff caliber team. We aren't there yet but I was hoping this year would be a stepping stone for a competent franchise moving foward. Now with everything that's happened as of today everything's up in the air again. It all starts with Mark hiring a GM who knows what he's doing.

Mayock is gone

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    I was telling everybody that my only goal for the 2021-2022 Raiders was to appear in a playoff game. Even at full strength I couldn't see the Raiders beating a playoff caliber team. We aren't there yet but I was hoping this year would be a stepping stone for a competent franchise moving foward. Now with everything that's happened as of today everything's up in the air again. It all starts with Mark hiring a GM who knows what he's doing.
    Mayock is gone.

Raiderman41 I 100% agree with you! How about that? That is your best post ever...in my humble opinion.

clean slate, start over hiring a gm,hc and new staff, I'm even for firing gus bradley cause I want fangio

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    clean slate, start over hiring a gm,hc and new staff, I'm even for firing gus bradley cause I want fangio
    Whos your ideal GM, HC, OC and DC?
    Im not sure on my ideal OC yet (definitely not Olly, though)
    For HC:
    #1 Harbaugh
    #2 Bissacia (not ideal, but if no Harbaugh)
    #3 Flores
    #4 Bowles

GM:
    1. Louis Riddick
    2. Eliot Wolf
    3. Morocco Brown

DC:
    1. Vic Fangio
    2. Gus Bradley
    3. Jerod Mayo (whos being considered for HC jobs, but i think too premature for a HC job at this time. He needs to become a full time DC of a team first. Im sure the Pats will make sure he doesnt go anywhere as a DC, ONLY as a HC.

OC: ???
    Harbaugh might bring Gattis from Michigan,
    Or could get Pep Hamilton. Not sure on who I want but know what I want. An exciting playcaller thats innovative and stays aggressive. Puts pedal to the metal and goes for the jugular at all times.

I think the realistic goal in 2020 was to finish with a winning record. We ended the season at 8-8.
    For 2021, winning season and making the playoffs were the goal. We did it. Mistakes kept us from going farther, but we made the playoffs and took the game down to the last seconds.
    Did anyone really expect the Super Bowl this year?

BTW, almost every other playoff game this weekend was a blowout. At least we took it to the final seconds.

This team had points in the season where you can say, see you in March for the OTAs, any other team would have just folded up and watched for their paycheck. "Dang it, cut on my toe, can't go today..." The firing, Ruggs/Arnette, the beat down in KC, covid favoritism for the other 31.....there were several points it could have been over, it could have called up all 16 from the PS. I love this team and glad they kept pushing the envelope each week....wanting to be remembered. Hopefully it's part of the foundation going forward, the experience we got, can't be measured, but can be the beginning of something special. I can still remember Gruden I, I think Game 16 of season 2, we were in KC and could have folded, but we won it in OT....I think that game catapulted us into that early 2000's run.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    Whos your ideal GM, HC, OC and DC?
    Im not sure on my ideal OC yet (definitely not Olly, though)
    For HC:
    #1 Harbaugh
    #2 Bissacia (not ideal, but if no Harbaugh)
    #3 Flores
    #4 Bowles

GM:
    1. Louis Riddick
    2. Eliot Wolf
    3. Morocco Brown

DC:
    1. Vic Fangio
    2. Gus Bradley
    3. Jerod Mayo (whos being considered for HC jobs, but i think too premature for a HC job at this time. He needs to become a full time DC of a team first. Im sure the Pats will make sure he doesnt go anywhere as a DC, ONLY as a HC.

OC: ???
    Harbaugh might bring Gattis from Michigan,
    Or could get Pep Hamilton. Not sure on who I want but know what I want. An exciting playcaller thats innovative and stays aggressive. Puts pedal to the metal and goes for the jugular at all times.
    I like your list, except Riddick. He's not ready yet. He's Mike Mayock 2.0; little experience big media exposure.

I also think Ed Dodds out of Indy would be a good GM choice. He was a key player in rebuilding Seattle and Indy's rosters, and worked for Al Davis as an intern.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRaider View Post
    Raiderman41 I 100% agree with you! How about that? That is your best post ever...in my humble opinion.
    Thanks.

I always call it like I see it. No more. No less.

Fan since 1967. I interviewed Stabler Villapiano and Ben Davidson years ago, and spent quite a bit of time with Cliff Branch in Oakland one day.

While we may disagree on Carr, we are all fans.