Thread: State of the Raiders!

State of the Raiders!

Good day to you Nation! I do hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Great win and lots to discuss, so let's get right to it!

Every year, every football team at every level faces some sort of adversity. The adversity and distractions our Raiders have had to deal with this year are at epic proportions. I've been watching and been part of the game of football for a very long time, and I've never seen this type of adversity with any football team at any level since I've been on Gods greeen earth. The fact that this football team, was able to go into to Dallas, where no one, and I mean no one, picked our Raiders to win, and come out with a victory, was IMO the win of the year! It showed the character and resilience that should make all of Raider Nation proud! It was such a big win, that it very well could be that confidence boosting win that will propel our Raiders to the playoffs! It felt like the win in 02, when we went into Denver and beat the Broncos after losig 4 straight games! Most teams would have folded by now. And when you throw in biased officiating like we saw vs Cincy as one example, it makes it more difficult to win football games. At least the officiating was questionable for both teams on Thanksgiving. Normally it's lopsided towards our Raiders.

First off, I don't want to hear the excuse anymore that Dallas didn't have Cooper or Lamb and that's why they lost. Dak Prescott averages 259 passing yards per game. Prescott threw for 375 against our Raiders, so this theory carries no weight. Our Raiders were missing several key pieces as well, as this is life in the NFL entering week 12 of the NFL season.

Much respect for Dak Prescott. He is the real deal. His reads are on point and he has a strong arm, and when you have a great O-line in front of him like he does, with a great 1/2 punch in Zek and Pollard, simply put, they are a great offense. Prescott throws a very accurate ball as well, and is no doubt a franchise QB. Add it all up and the Cowboys have the #1 offense in the NFL, averging 420 yards per game and 30 points per game as well.

To go in and beat this football team when they needed it as badly as we did, in their own stadium, vs a quality opponent, is no doubt the win of the year! A season saving win to say the least!

In terms of the Raiders offense, it all starts up front. For the Raiders to have over 500 yards of offense and score 33 points, the entire line gets a game ball! Tom Cable has done an outstanding job with this young and inexperinced line. I was talking to another Raiders fan the other day, and he said we need to clean house on the O-line, and get rid of everyone but Kolton Miller and start from scratch for next season. This was after the Dallas win. Keep in mind, this is the #6 offense in the NFL right now. Other than Kolton Miller, John Simpson has 13 carrer starts, Alex Leatherwood has 11, Andre James has 12, and Brandon Parker has 7. 4 out of 5 starters have less than 1 season starting experience right now. This is the NFL, where the best players in the world play this game. You don't become ALL-Pro with an average of 11 career starts between the 4, not counting Miller. Speaking of Miller, many were calling him a bust after the first couple of years in the NFL. Now he's one of the best LT's in all of football! Show of hands, were you one of the members calling Miller a bust? This line is doing an outstanding job and it's only going to get better and better with more coaching and in-game experience. Certainly reasons to be optimistic. And to my friend, thankfully he has no decision making power with the Raiders!

More on the line. We have all clamored for a better and more productive running game. Well, the line delivered vs the Cowboys, paving the way for an rushing output of 143 yards on 35 carries! As we get deeper into the season, this running game will be key!

More reason for optimism. It appears the Henry Ruggs distraction and loss of productivity has finally been digested, and the Raiders mentally have been able to move forward. Make no mistake about it Nation, the Raiders offense has looked 'All-World' at times this season. It's also looked like one of the worst offensive units in the NFL at times as well. It's only looked bad after the Gru and Ruggs distractions though. And not only the distraction of Ruggs, but his on field play as well. DeShawn Jackson has been a God-send! His speed, route running, hands, and experience show this guy still has it! At the same time, I don't care who you are, you just don't walk into an offense during the middle of the season, and not only learn the offense, but also mesh with the QB overnight. Jackson's break out game vs the Cowboys, shows the Raiders have weathered the storm with the loss of Ruggs, on and off the field!

Jackson had over 100 yards receiving with a TD and drew 2 legit PI calls as well. He should have had a third PI call against defensive player of the year candidate Trevon Diggs, but the ref didn't call it. Here's the beautiful thing Nation, the offense didn't miss a beat with Darren Waller sitting most of the game with a knee injury. Thankfully, Waller's injury is not serious, and with the extra rest this week, he should be back soon. When he does come back, we all know Waller will continue to be double teamed. With the run game going and Jackson now acclimated, the offense should be very productive moving forward! That is if the distractions can stay away.

The Gruden and Ruggs dsitractions were and are real. The 7 stages of grief are this.

Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
    Pain and guilt. ...
    Anger and bargaining. ...
    Depression. ...
    The upward turn. ...
    Reconstruction and working through. ...
    Acceptance and hope.

When you are going through shock, tragedy, and pain, your emotions are way off, and you can't concentrate on anything the way you should be. The play against the Bears, Giants, KC, and Cincy were a direct result of the Gru and Ruggs distraction factors. Again, the win and play vs the Cowboys are reasons to believe we have finally moved on and gone through the process.

Game balls to our kcikers and if we get to the playoffs, they will be a huge part of it! Cole could be the best punter in the NFL. Carlson is legit with 5 FG's vs the Cowboys including the walk-off game winner! I was disappointed in seeing Teamer get ejected for fighting. He is a core special teams player and could be our best special teamer, no pun intended. To see Pollard take a kick-off to the house with Teamer in the locker room, was disappointing. This type of self inflicted wounds has got to stop!

Defensively, we did see improvement with the run defense which had been lacking. The Cowboys had 64 yards on 20 carries. Casey Hayward let Gallop get behind him twice. This normally does not happen. Facyson was a practice sqaud player for a reason. He only has 9 career starts. While he's flashed, he still needs time for development. A big boost to our defense will be getting back Trayvon Mullen. Last I heard was he was getting close to a return. Trufant came into the game and did some good things as well. Like Jackson, when you pick a player up mid-season, he needs time to learn the system and get acclimated. Trufant a former pro-bowler, and Mullen could be the keys to improved defense down the stretch.

I've read and heard things that Abram is a bust and must go. Abram leads the NFL in tackles for a DB and is in the top 10 overall. Not bad for a guy who missed his rookie season and didn't have an off-season last year because of Covid. Abram has 3 consective games with double diget tackles and has 94 on the year. He will shatter the century mark and if he stays healthy, and will be considered in having a great year. Yes, pass D has to improve and it will. New system under Bradley and the missed time as I just wrote about, are reasons to think his best football is in front of him.

Red Zone offense and third down offense simply has to improve. The stats showed on third and short, we are the worst in the league. When you lose your head coach who happens to be the play caller, you have a young and inexperienced line, and you also lose Ruggs, these are factors and reasons for these issues. Play calling has to be better as well. We were third and half a yard to start the second half and we line up in the shot-gun and get stuffed. This is on the OC, plain and simple. Either sneak it or run some power with 2 lead blockers. The percentages in converting will increase big time. I would personally like to see some more misdirection, roll-outs, and bootlegs incorporated into the offense. This will help with these deficiencies. The use of Mariota more will help as well. His speed for a QB is off the charts!

The benefit of playing a Thursday game this late in the season is like almost having another bye week. 10 days of rest and with the players off for three days, this give the coaches extra time to self avaluate and watch more film. With the WFT playing Monday night tonight and having a cross country trip to Vegas on Sunday, the extra rest and lack there of with Wasington, simply put, this is a football game we can't afford to lose!

With the Steelers, Chargers, Browns, and Colts all losing yesterday, our Raiders moved up with the big win over the Cowboys, and currently sit in the 8th seed. Top 7 go to the playoffs as youu know. With games left vs Denver, LA, Cleveland, KC, Indy, and the WFT, the Raiders truly control their own destiny!

Like I said ealier in the thread, most teams would have folded and been finished by now. Our Raiders are still alive and fighting tooth and nail! I truly feel our best football could be down the stretch when we need it most! Regardless, proud of this football team to still be in it, with all the adversity they have faced.

And one last thing, if you are a member who keeps talking about Carr in any way shape or form in a negative light, you are an absolute embarrassment to the Raider Nation and know nothing about the game of football or the QB position in general! Carr over the weekend became the 4th player in NFL history to have 3,000 yards passing in his first 8 seasons. Carr also became the 5th QB ever to pass for over 30,000 yards in his first 8 seasons. Carr also currently leads the NFL in passing, with all the distractions he's had to deal with this year. Simply put, this is what a franchise and elite QB looks like. And on Thanksgiving, had yet another 4th quarter/OT comeback!

Trading or releasing Carr to draft an unkown commodity in the draft is asinine to even insinuate. I thought we flushed all those turds down the toilet the last couple of years. I guess not. But I'm saying this as a friend. It's making you look bad by continuing this uneducated talk. Trading for Watson who currently is sitting home while he's been sued by over 20 woman is even more asinine. That's the leader you want running your franchise? And you want Russell Wilson and his bloated contract, while giving up assets to do so, who tried to bitch, moan, and complain his way out of Seattle? The Seahawks were great because they had a great Beastmode and the Legion of Boom. Wilson was on a rookie contract then too, which allowed the Seahawks to strengthen their team. Now that he is being overpaid, it hurts their football team and they are nothing more than an Wild Card team at best.

Again, repeat after me. Get Carr a legit D and fair and consistent officiating and he will win games and Super Bowls. Again, Get Carr a legit D and fair and consistent officiating and he will win games and Super Bowls. I saw a stat a few weeks ago that said Carr has the worst point support in NFL history with the D giving up 26.3 points per game. Since I saw this stat, the Raiders gave up 41 points to KC, 32 to Cincy, and 33 to the Cowboys. I guess if Carr had the Ravens D while their starting QB throws 4 INT in a win, Carr would have more wins too, wouldn't you think?

Go Raiders!

The Patriots are playing the Bills and the Chargers are playing the Bengals this weekend. Someone has to lose. A win against Washington and the Raiders will be back in the playoff picture.

Great write up.

I fully admit I wanted Kolton traded away after year 1 lol.

Wonder if we're signing a Vet to play RT next year or we're giving Leatherwood another shot. I think a Vet is in order.

As for Carr, I expect him to be here another 2 years minimum. There's no QB for us to draft unless we move up for Corral. Rodgers is going to SF or staying put. Raiders are maybe in 3rd place for him. Russell Wilson is a wild card but as of now it seems the NYG will be trying for him. Seattle would probably rather have Carr but lets see how they handle the situation. His wife has a big say on where he goes, if he goes.

Draft class is weak at QB and DT. Deep at WR and Offensive line. Interested to see where we go.

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    Great write up.

Wonder if we're signing a Vet to play RT next year or we're giving Leatherwood another shot. I think a Vet is in order.

As for Carr, I expect him to be here another 2 years minimum. There's no QB for us to draft unless we move up for Corral. Rodgers is going to SF or staying put. Raiders are maybe in 3rd place for him. Russell Wilson is a wild card but as of now it seems the NYG will be trying for him. Seattle would probably rather have Carr but lets see how they handle the situation. His wife has a big say on where he goes, if he goes.

Draft class is weak at QB and DT. Deep at WR and Offensive line. Interested to see where we go.
    rodgers ain't going to san fran they just traded the farm to get their future (trey lance), rams have stafford and chargers have herbert, so if rodgers wants to get close to California its gonna be vegas a mere 40 min flight, Russell Wilson and vegas also make sense, the wild card is deshaun watson

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    Great write up.

One thing that scare me about Carr is that he a hot and cold QB; some games he play great and other, he really has a bad game...

On a tangent, how do they have the Broncos above the Raiders in Conference standings?
    We beat them head to head and we have a better conference record.
    Yes Broncos have better record against AFC West so that is understandable that they are ahead there but when you go to Conference rankings, they have the Broncos sitting above the Raiders. Doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    On a tangent, how do they have the Broncos above the Raiders in Conference standings?
    We beat them head to head and we have a better conference record.
    Yes Broncos have better record against AFC West so that is understandable that they are ahead there but when you go to Conference rankings, they have the Broncos sitting above the Raiders. Doesn't make any sense.
    I just looked a a few playoff standings and they all have the Raiders at 8th and Broncos at 9th. The top 7 make the playoffs.