Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about yesterday's game

Thoughts about yesterday's game

What a great win. Our Raiders beat the Cowboys in their own stadium, putting a W in the win column when we needed it the most.

Here are a few thoughts about yesterday's game:

-What we saw yesterday is just how good the Raiders CAN be when Carr stands strong in the pocket, uses his legs to buy some extra time, and when our defense is kept off the field by a consistent Raiders offense. When all of this comes together, the Raiders can beat any team in the league.

-For the most part, the play calling in this game was the best we've seen all year by our coaches. We threw the ball a number of times on first down, and by the end of the game our offensive line was controlling the line of scrimmage, while the Cowboys' defense looked gassed.

-This is what frustrates so many of us. We don't always see this from Carr. In too many games against teams that we should beat easily, Carr plays "scared," dumping the ball off instead of taking that extra half second to allow his receivers to break open. The difference between long gains and third and outs is that half second.

-Why did the Raiders try to run a play right before the two-minute warning? What was Carr thinking? Why not just run some more time off of the clock? Was this our head coach's decision? If so, this was stupid, and it backfired big time. Without this decision, the Cowboys likely would not have had enough time to kick a game-tying field goal.

-I grew tired of the excuses Romo made about how the Cowboys' receiving corps was short handed. Not once did we hear how the Raiders were missing their top cornerback and their two starting guards, pushing two back ups into the starting lineup. We lost our leading receiver, Waller, early in the game, too.

-I also grew tired of the whining of the Cowboys and the announcers about the number of penalties called on the Cowboys. Yes, the officials were a little flag happy, but it went both ways. The "illegal block in the back" on Amik Robertson that pushed the Raiders back on the final drive was ticky tacky. From what I saw, he blocked the Cowboy with his hand on the stomach, and did not push him in the back. There were also a number of calls that were not made. On the long pass to Zay Jones that drew a penalty because the Cowboys' defender was face guarding, Hunter Renfrow was being held, which should have also been called. On the Cowboys' last drive, a Cowboys' offensive linemen literally grabbed Maxx Crosby and threw him to the ground, which should have also been called. Yes, the Cowboys were called for a number of penalties that were borderline, but the officials also missed a number of clear penalties that should have been called.

-Speaking of terrible penalties, what were the officials thinking about when they called Andre James for a head bob at a key point of the game?

-This Raiders team has a chance to make the playoffs if: 1) Carr continues to play smart and aggressively, 2) The Raiders build upon this win and put several wins together, getting hot at the end of the year, and 3) Players like Treyvon Mullen, Nicholas Morrow and Darius Philon return from injured reserve, giving our team a boost.

-Dak Prescott, with onlyl his third and fourth best receivers available, showed by he is an elite quarterback. That kid can play. He kept his team in the game when his running game wasn't effective and when his defense gave up a lot of big plays. A few of the throws Prescott made had to be on the money -- and they were.

-Zay Jones, Desean Jackson and Hunter Renfrow stepped up big time for the Raiders. Jones in particular, made a number of plays that kept drives alive. Renfrow became a deep threat? Seriously? Desean Jackson is a difference maker.

Go Raiders!

I was screaming at the TV saying " Let the clock run down to the 2 minute warning". We were it perfect position to end the game in regulation.

Raiders defense under Gus Bradley is starting to
    come together; do not be surprised if at the end of the
    season is that he offered the head coaching job for the
    Raiders…..been a long time since Raiders could
    actually stop someone…

I still think we have some run plays called that don’t make sense. We run the ball well when we run straight power or quick hitting runs. Anytime we run these fake RPO plays it’s trash.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    actually stop someone…
    Oh God, please no. I live in Jacksonville and saw first hand what Gus is as a Head Coach. He is NOT a Head Coach. He is a good solid DC and that's it.. if you think the Raiders D will stay the same with Gus as HC you need to think again. On paper it makes sense but for some reason when he was HC here in Jax, he was hands off with the D and the D was not good.
    Also he was a bad game manager, which is what you want from your HC. It's one of the reasons I feel Bissaccia is not a good HC. He has the respect of the players but he can't manage the game worth a shit. It was evident in yesterday's game vs Cowboys. He also doesn't like to challenge the refs or challenge any play.
    Bissaccia is just a body with a HC headset on. Other than that, he seems to be nonexistent.
    But I digress... back to Bradley as HC - trust me, you don't want him as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    What a great win. Our Raiders beat the Cowboys in their own stadium, putting a W in the win column when we needed it the most.

Here are a few thoughts about yesterday's game:

-What we saw yesterday is just how good the Raiders CAN be when Carr stands strong in the pocket, uses his legs to buy some extra time, and when our defense is kept off the field by a consistent Raiders offense. When all of this comes together, the Raiders can beat any team in the league.

-For the most part, the play calling in this game was the best we've seen all year by our coaches. We threw the ball a number of times on first down, and by the end of the game our offensive line was controlling the line of scrimmage, while the Cowboys' defense looked gassed.

-This is what frustrates so many of us. We don't always see this from Carr. In too many games against teams that we should beat easily, Carr plays "scared," dumping the ball off instead of taking that extra half second to allow his receivers to break open. The difference between long gains and third and outs is that half second.

-Why did the Raiders try to run a play right before the two-minute warning? What was Carr thinking? Why not just run some more time off of the clock? Was this our head coach's decision? If so, this was stupid, and it backfired big time. Without this decision, the Cowboys likely would not have had enough time to kick a game-tying field goal.

-I grew tired of the excuses Romo made about how the Cowboys' receiving corps was short handed. Not once did we hear how the Raiders were missing their top cornerback and their two starting guards, pushing two back ups into the starting lineup. We lost our leading receiver, Waller, early in the game, too.

-I also grew tired of the whining of the Cowboys and the announcers about the number of penalties called on the Cowboys. Yes, the officials were a little flag happy, but it went both ways. The "illegal block in the back" on Amik Robertson that pushed the Raiders back on the final drive was ticky tacky. From what I saw, he blocked the Cowboy with his hand on the stomach, and did not push him in the back. There were also a number of calls that were not made. On the long pass to Zay Jones that drew a penalty because the Cowboys' defender was face guarding, Hunter Renfrow was being held, which should have also been called. On the Cowboys' last drive, a Cowboys' offensive linemen literally grabbed Maxx Crosby and threw him to the ground, which should have also been called. Yes, the Cowboys were called for a number of penalties that were borderline, but the officials also missed a number of clear penalties that should have been called.

-Speaking of terrible penalties, what were the officials thinking about when they called Andre James for a head bob at a key point of the game?

-This Raiders team has a chance to make the playoffs if: 1) Carr continues to play smart and aggressively, 2) The Raiders build upon this win and put several wins together, getting hot at the end of the year, and 3) Players like Treyvon Mullen, Nicholas Morrow and Darius Philon return from injured reserve, giving our team a boost.

-Dak Prescott, with onlyl his third and fourth best receivers available, showed by he is an elite quarterback. That kid can play. He kept his team in the game when his running game wasn't effective and when his defense gave up a lot of big plays. A few of the throws Prescott made had to be on the money -- and they were.

-Zay Jones, Desean Jackson and Hunter Renfrow stepped up big time for the Raiders. Jones in particular, made a number of plays that kept drives alive. Renfrow became a deep threat? Seriously? Desean Jackson is a difference maker.

Go Raiders!
    Just wanted to mention that this is a very good write up.. well done and agree on pretty much everything said here. Very surprised the Raiders won but truthfully speaking I believe in "the coin".. I thought no matter what, the Raiders were going to win. It's almost like "the coin" is someone who writes the scripts for the NFL season.. much like the WWE does.. I wouldn't put it past the NFL, I'll tell ya that.. all hail the almighty Coin!

Snapping the ball before the 2:00 minute warning and the head bob called on the center was the same play. We only snapped the ball because the Dallas defender jumped offsides. It was a very smart move. It would have given us a first down, and I believe the clock would have started back up and still ran down to the 2:00 minute warning. I could be wrong on that part, it may have stayed at 2:02.

However, when the refs screwed us and called the head bob a false start, it made the play look dumb. Also, they missed a PI on the next play that would have given us the first down.

That drive the clock management was good, if the refs called it correctly. End of first half time management was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    actually stop someone…
    I just hope gus bradley plays 2 deep vs kc a proven defensive scheme that stops the kc offense

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    I just hope gus bradley plays 2 deep vs kc a proven defensive scheme that stops the kc offense
    Well Mullin will be back for Chief game which
    will be a big help….but right now we gotta worry
    about Washington and try win that one

Quote Originally Posted by PirateHunter View Post
    I still think we have some run plays called that don’t make sense. We run the ball well when we run straight power or quick hitting runs. Anytime we run these fake RPO plays it’s trash.
    Same thing I saw.