Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What NFL Rule Would You Like to See Changed?

What NFL Rule Would You Like to See Changed?

As a new poster, maybe this has been a thread before, but what NFL rule/s would you like to see changed? Three that I'm thinking about now after yesterday's game are:

A penalty on the quarterback that slides late OR ESPECIALLY, fakes a slide or runs toward sideline then cuts up field when a defender lets up to avoid a personal foul. Cough, Mahomes, cough. This should be at least a five yard penalty for a late slide or a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty for faking a slide or faking running out of bounds.

Second, how can you call a helmet to helmet on the ball carrier? I've seen it called three times now. Twice on Jacobs, once on Ruggs. Alabama thing? At most it should be off setting because yesterday the defender had his head down too. It was like to rams going at each other. If the defender is looking up, there wouldn't have been helmet to helmet contact.

Last one, although I have others, is they need to get rid of the offsides causing the false start. It should only be called on the defense if it causes the player directly across form the defender to move. The way it is now, it's completely unfair to the defender. It's a free play to the quarterback, and he gets to use his voice and body to draw him offsides. If anything, do like high school and blow the play dead at the moment of the offsides. I mean seriously, if the offense false starts, you can't run around the line and sack the quarterback.

Yeah the first one sound really good; I know Mahomes tend to do that and I think that is cheating in a way; would he do that if the defender had open season on him no matter what...

The NFL is really trying to discourage helmet to helmet hits; because of the brain damage from helmet hits; be interesting to try play a game without helmets and see how that goes

Hate the rule that a ball fumbled in the field of play that rolls into the end zone and then out of bounds is a turnover that goes to the opponent. The offense should maintain possession with the ball placed at the spot of the fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by RickRyb View Post
    Hate the rule that a ball fumbled in the field of play that rolls into the end zone and then out of bounds is a turnover that goes to the opponent. The offense should maintain possession with the ball placed at the spot of the fumble.
    In the least it should not be a turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Yeah the first one sound really good; I know Mahomes tend to do that and I think that is cheating in a way; would he do that if the defender had open season on him no matter what...

The NFL is really trying to discourage helmet to helmet hits; because of the brain damage from helmet hits; be interesting to try play a game without helmets and see how that goes
    The biggest thing that is happening is the size of the helmets itself. It just looks larger than 5-10 years ago. Just looking at the crown, it's a bit taller. Thus there is going to be more helmet to helmet hits....most are incidental. Honestly I'd reduce the size of the helmets, is there a guide as to how large helmets can be?

I wanna change any rule that affects the raiders in every game, lol

10 yards for holding, I always thought that was way too much of a penalty. One holding call could completely destroy a drive. Way too much power in the hands of a flag happy ref.

QBs shouldn't be able to slide untouched if they become runners. (Game this week actually backfired on a QB who was trying to slide for a touchdown but was ruled down because he slid, even though it was clear he wasnt sliding to be down but sliding to get into the end zone.) You wanna play running back games you should pay running back prices. Protecting a passing QB is fine but making defenses afraid to tackle a running QB is total crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JD707 View Post
    QBs shouldn't be able to slide untouched if they become runners. (Game this week actually backfired on a QB who was trying to slide for a touchdown but was ruled down because he slid, even though it was clear he wasnt sliding to be down but sliding to get into the end zone.) You wanna play running back games you should pay running back prices. Protecting a passing QB is fine but making defenses afraid to tackle a running QB is total crap.
    the rule on helmet to helmet are bs even though it may look like helmet to helmet sometimes a hit to the should or chest gets called for 15 yds,I also agree on running qbs if your gonna be a running back take the running back hit or run out of bounce you can't expect a defending player to stop on a dime !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    I wanna change any rule that affects the raiders in every game, lol
    Or just not screw us on the rules already in place!!!