Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Jon Gruden burn out the team?

I don't believe that for a second. What has happened the past 2 years were we got dinged up and didn't have the depth later in the season. #2 was our defense was terrible and you can mask and cover some things in early season games but as the season progresses and more film is out on you, a bad defense gets exposed. I don't think his intensity burns anyone out. We've just had unfortunate circumstances towards the last half of the season the past 2 year to go along with an awful defense. If our defense, even if it regresses a little after these first 2 games, just stays around 20, we probably make the playoffs

I think it's more about having a ton of film out there. Gruden brings an element of surprise to the game, with just the size of his playbook. I would imagine the last couple years he couldn't dive too deep in there, because of the lack of talent....lack of off season workouts, for Ruggs/Edwards, hurt their growth. Once team saw what we liked to do, they took it away, Gruden didn't have the horses to dig deeper into his playbook.

We will get deeper into the Gruden playbook, also Carr has confidence in more of the personnel than in the past 2 years. Those 2 combined will win us a few games deeper into the season. No we have a real living DC handling our defense, 3 plays....boom they score, long drives, boom they score, we were the worst. Defensively we will make it tougher for other teams and that alone have already won us 2 games.

I don't think Gruden wore us out, it's more the league getting our number, but mid season, gameplanning for us.

Also we didnt have enough veteran leadership in the lockerroom the past season(s) getting this team up and driven for EACH game as they needed. We have that this year.
    You also need to have the perfect lockerroom chemistry to get through the entire season.. from all accounts, it just seems that this year is WAYYY different than years past. Almost like we have that lightning in a bottle this year. Its extremely hard to find a team that gels together so well.. and its even harder to keep it... hopefully this Raider team not only has it, but can keep it for years to come

With the kind of defense we had, we were lucky to win some games. If you look at the game scores except for the Atlanta game we were scoring at a pretty decent clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawneee View Post
    Was it his intensity or his predictably, meaning was it a case of by the middle of the season other teams knew exactly what he was going to do, I would also say personnel had a lot to do with it, I could be wrong but thought I had always heard the opposite, that players loved and fed off his intensity

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    Also we didnt have enough veteran leadership in the lockerroom the past season(s) getting this team up and driven for EACH game as they needed. We have that this year.
    You also need to have the perfect lockerroom chemistry to get through the entire season.. from all accounts, it just seems that this year is WAYYY different than years past. Almost like we have that lightning in a bottle this year. Its extremely hard to find a team that gels together so well.. and its even harder to keep it... hopefully this Raider team not only has it, but can keep it for years to come
    True, imagining Woodson in that lockerroom the last couple years.

I donít believe that crap. I played sports at a high level and I appreciated intensity. Gotta stay motivated!

What I'm getting at is think bout before the Atlanta debacle we were riding high 6-3 I think..then straight shit the bed, and the Jets game the year before..we just can't go from great to a disaster at any point in the year...with respect to everyone that's just how I see it
    Fu#k The Rest

Quote Originally Posted by Garner25 View Post
    What I'm getting at is think bout before the Atlanta debacle we were riding high 6-3 I think..then straight shit the bed, and the Jets game the year before..we just can't go from great to a disaster at any point in the year...with respect to everyone that's just how I see it
    those debacles have everything to do with the raiders having paul guenther as our defensive coordinator causing our defense to rank around #28, this yr our defense looks stout and our pass rush is no joke having a good defense can win you an extra 3 to 4 games alone yr that would have had us in the playoffs back to back yrs 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    those debacles have everything to do with the raiders having paul guenther as our defensive coordinator causing our defense to rank around #28, this yr our defense looks stout and our pass rush is no joke having a good defense can win you an extra 3 to 4 games alone yr that would have had us in the playoffs back to back yrs 19/20
    When we only put up 3 points and DC turns it over 5 times against Atlanta, that's nothing to do with the Defense
    Fu#k The Rest

Quote Originally Posted by Garner25 View Post
    When we only put up 3 points and DC turns it over 5 times against Atlanta, that's nothing to do with the Defense
    Let see what happens with the Miami game….
    The media saying that we should win
    this game, and this is where we tend to be
    overconfident and lose the game; well that the
    past….if we beat miami pretty easy then this
    Raider team might be finally turning the corner….
    But Miami got soundly beat last week and will
    be a different team this week verse the raiders….