Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 'Nothing they do makes sense,' cap expert says of Raiders' offseason moves

  1. #1

    'Nothing they do makes sense,' cap expert says of Raiders' offseason moves

    It has been a dizzying past month for the Raiders franchise. As I noted Monday, the worst moves the Raiders made this season were the ones they didnít make. And that lack of shoring up their weak points colors most of the additions they did have, such as cornerback, safety, and offensive tackle.

    No addition makes you scratch your head more than signing Kenyan Drake to a two-year, $11 million deal.

    That move, along with gutting the once-dominant offensive line, have confused many, including salary cap expert Jason Fitzgerald, who runs the site OverTheCap.com.

    ďI donít know. Nothing they do makes sense,Ē Fitzgerald told The Athletic. ďOne of their top free agent signings was a running back. I like the Ngakoue deal. Those are good numbers that they got for him. Itís good value.

    ďBut everything else that they have done, you can tell this is a team thatís run by someone who hadnít been involved in running an NFL team for a decade or for however long it was that Gruden was at ESPN. It has that feel. This has the complete feel of the 2000 (Bill) Parcells era of running franchises. You run to these veteran players, and the minute that somebody makes a peep about something, you cut him. It just doesnít look like itís gonna be successful.Ē


    https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/202...guCsI3FrAnKB-s

  2. #2
    Who the fuck is Jason Fitzgerald? A once dominate O-line who can't get a push for Jacobs to pick up a yard on 4th and short. Not dominate. Overpaiud and overrated is more like it.

    I was surprised by the Drake signing. In todays NFL you need to RB's, Jacobs has proven he can't play 16 games and is always dinged up. He needs a timeshare, maybe they overpaid a bit for him, but it's only a 2 year deal. It isn;pt like they went out and signed him to a 5-75 million dollar deal. Its 2-11.

    IF Fitzgerald is a cap expert what business does he questioning free agent picks. He's a numbers nerd.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,158
    To tell you the truth; we are going into the 2021
    season with no idea on what the raiders will be like
    as a team...we got two good starter on the offense
    line side name Miller and Goode; Richie is another but
    he just stop-gap Guard at the age 38....he at an age
    where could go down fast...we going into 2021 season
    with completely unknown center who will either sink or
    swim.....

    Really need to see what the raiders do with the draft; me
    I am hoping they draft a RT with a the first rounders; but
    knowing Gruden draft record; we will draft a fullback

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    To tell you the truth; we are going into the 2021
    season with no idea on what the raiders will be like
    as a team...we got two good starter on the offense
    line side name Miller and Goode; Richie is another but
    he just stop-gap Guard at the age 38....he at an age
    where could go down fast...we going into 2021 season
    with completely unknown center who will either sink or
    swim.....

    Really need to see what the raiders do with the draft; me
    I am hoping they draft a RT with a the first rounders; but
    knowing Gruden draft record; we will draft a fullback
    The offensive line will be better. By midseason no one will miss Jackson and Hudson. We will be able to pick up short yardage first downs. We will see a line that is able to run block and not get pushed 5 yards into the backfield. Incognito is a stop gap guard, no doubt. Chances are he won't be able to play 16 games either. Thats why we have Simpson as a backup. Hopefully with a year of training camp he will be able to take over next year or a couple of games this year if he's needed. We will draft a RT in the first or 2nd round. He might not play as well as Brown, but he will be on the field.
    Last edited by psly2124; 04-07-2021 at 06:52 AM.

  5. #5
    17 games = injured and dinged up rb adding drake gives us 2 good rbs and quality depth, Yannick filled a huge need,Richie coming back filled a huge need, resigning good filled a huge need,trading Trent and GABE AND HUDSON netted us 3 picks including a 2022 5th we will use these picks to get younger on oline,we have reworked a few contracts to free up more cap in order to sign cb/safety/rt some of this also will be addressed with our 8 picks in the draft

    this is not rocket science,the raiders will be just fine leaving these idiot so called experts looking like dummies

  6. #6
    Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Alameda, California
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    To tell you the truth; we are going into the 2021
    season with no idea on what the raiders will be like
    as a team...we got two good starter on the offense
    line side name Miller and Goode; Richie is another but
    he just stop-gap Guard at the age 38....he at an age
    where could go down fast...we going into 2021 season
    with completely unknown center who will either sink or
    swim.....

    Really need to see what the raiders do with the draft; me
    I am hoping they draft a RT with a the first rounders; but
    knowing Gruden draft record; we will draft a fullback
    He probably draft the water boy.

  7. #7
    The only issue I have is Miller's reworked contract has caused the Cap Space to shrink down to roughly $3M. That makes no sense at all considering this year's reduced Salary Cap. That's a real head scratcher.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRaider View Post
    The only issue I have is Miller's reworked contract has caused the Cap Space to shrink down to roughly $3M. That makes no sense at all considering this year's reduced Salary Cap. That's a real head scratcher.
    I think it is brilliant. What do we need the cap space for, wasting it on a free agent for 3 years like Nassib or Joyner. No thanks.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRaider View Post
    The only issue I have is Miller's reworked contract has caused the Cap Space to shrink down to roughly $3M. That makes no sense at all considering this year's reduced Salary Cap. That's a real head scratcher.
    ....haha, yep, and this is what the article is stating....SMH, head scratching deals. Couldn't we have put that up front money 1st year salary of 9.5 into a signing bonus. If he was in fact a 2 million cap hit before the extension, you minimize his base to 1 million, give him a 9 million signing bonus today, which gets prorated over 3-4 years. His cap hit this year is roughly 4-5 million, which gives you 8-9 million in cap space. 2021, we have a roster bonus of 13 million, 3.2 in base for a 16 cap hit. Thinking they are keeping the option of that 13 million roster bonus as possibly converting it into a signing bonus and spreading it over 3 years, rather than eating the entire 13 million in 2022.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vega...-miller-25110/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    ....haha, yep, and this is what the article is stating....SMH, head scratching deals. Couldn't we have put that up front money 1st year salary of 9.5 into a signing bonus. If he was in fact a 2 million cap hit before the extension, you minimize his base to 1 million, give him a 9 million signing bonus today, which gets prorated over 3-4 years. His cap hit this year is roughly 4-5 million, which gives you 8-9 million in cap space. 2021, we have a roster bonus of 13 million, 3.2 in base for a 16 cap hit. Thinking they are keeping the option of that 13 million roster bonus as possibly converting it into a signing bonus and spreading it over 3 years, rather than eating the entire 13 million in 2022.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vega...-miller-25110/
    It looks like the front loaded it and when we are a playoff team in the next couple of years it works out better for us. Who cares about salary cap space this year? We signed a bunch of players already. How much more turnover do we need? We have a draft coming up, we will fill holes then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •