Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the cap?

Over the cap?

Good day to you all. Lots of speculation about where the Raiders are with the salary cap. I've read we are anywhere from 8 million to 20 million over the cap. With that said, teams must be under the salary cap by the first day of the new league year, which is March 17, the official first day of free agency.

With the Raiders having recently re-signed David Irving and given Nate Peterman & Kendal Vickers contract extensions, this would support that the Raiders are already under the salary cap.

The only notable release so far has been Tyrell Williams. With his release, this cleared up 11.6 million in cap space. This would support the notion that the Raiders were probably over the 8 million that was reported, rather than the 20 million as some speculated.

With the Nate Peterman re-signing and the signing of QB Kyle Sloter, this tells me Mariota is again on the move, with Chucky having three QB's under contract, not including Mariota. I keep hearing Philly, Washington, Chicago, and NE as the most likley landing spots.

The Raiders are going to want the cap space when Mariota is traded, and teams are going to want their guy by the start of free agency. Offensive free agents are going to want to know what the plan is at QB before signing with a new team. There seems to be motivation on both sides to make a move.

Washington has already attempted to trade for Mariota. It didn't give the reason why it hasn't happened yet. Speculation says it's Mariota's contract, which again can be extended or restructured. To me this isn't the issue. My guess is MM and Chucky want more compensation than what was originally offered, and are waiting to see what other clubs bring to the table. https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2021/...ta-report.html

Obviously you go for Watson or Wilson if he is made available. Mariota is a great second option and a starter in this league. Until teams know for sure Watson and Wilson are not available, you then make a move for Mariota. This can't be rushed as there are a lot of moving parts around the league.

This I do know, it appears that time is running out and Mariota will have a new team soon, and the Raiders will have cap space, a draft pick or two and or a player or two in return. I don't think a Mariota release is going to happen as some speculated he would be. 27 year old really good QB's are too valuable to just let walk without compenstation in return.

Moving Mariota could be the key to getting our defense fixed once and for all.

Go Raiders!
    Last edited by F.I.B. Savior; 03-03-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Raiders need 10 million to sign all
    the draft picks from April picks...not really
    sure how that works; like does it
    get added on in late may or June....

So as of now the raiders were 8.5 million
    over the cap (not counting draft money they
    need), so with getting Williams gone they got the
    cap under few million for now....

Think teams are sitting back and
    waiting for the raiders to release
    Mariota; because I think they are
    going to have to get more cap space...

raider will be fine cap wise once all the cuts and trades are done,I'm predicting 36 million for free agency once everything is done

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Raiders need 10 million to sign all
    the draft picks from April picks...not really
    sure how that works; like does it
    get added on in late may or June....

So as of now the raiders were 8.5 million
    over the cap (not counting draft money they
    need), so with getting Williams gone they got the
    cap under few million for now....

Think teams are sitting back and
    waiting for the raiders to release
    Mariota; because I think they are
    going to have to get more cap space...
    Draft pool will not sniff 10 million, closer to 6-7 million. We've lost a pick. 2020 hits for the top 3 rounds....2.5, 1.4, .8. The final 3 rounds....half million hits.

Poking through the Raiders cap situation, noticed a "Proven Performance Bonus" increase for 3 of our 2018 draft picks, all receiving an added increase to their 2021 salaries. Looks like each scored a bit over a 1 million raise:

Hurst 2.2 million hit
    Arden Key 2.3 million hit
    Brandon Parker 2.4 million

All 3 do not have more than 200K in dead money. Just a few more options to grab some cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cap/

Overthecap.com has the Raiders at about $4M under the cap after releasing Gabe Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Overthecap.com has the Raiders at about $4M under the cap after releasing Gabe Jackson.
    Nice find. I do wonder how acurate it is. We know of the savings with Williams and Gabe for example. But do we know the terms of Irving, Vickers, and Seig?

With Alex Smith released, keep an eye on Washington as a team that coud make a move for Mariota again.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ack-alex-smith

Go Raiders!

Mariota declining any conversation about restructuring with possible trade suitors.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/...trade-contract

Still not getting why NFL teams think a SuperBowl winning QB is not worth 22 million....that is if Mariota hits all incentives which includes a 1 million bonus for winning the Superbowl. If he don't do jack, he getting 10.7.

Kansas City is still $28M over and the Saints are still $62M over. Some cuts are coming for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Mariota declining any conversation about restructuring with possible trade suitors.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/...trade-contract

Still not getting why NFL teams think a SuperBowl winning QB is not worth 22 million....that is if Mariota hits all incentives which includes a 1 million bonus for winning the Superbowl. If he don't do jack, he getting 10.7.
    Exactly. That's why I do buy the report that Mariota is playing hardball. I did hear he wanted to be extended, to show he is their guy. Which is a reasonable request. 22 million for winning the Super Bowl is an absolute bargain!

Go Raiders!