Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta hand it to Derek Carr

Gotta hand it to Derek Carr

Some may say I've been a Derek Carr hater. I've been more like a Derek Carr realist.

From 2017 to the early part of this season, we watched Derek Carr play the game "safe." He threw the ball away too often, didn't use his legs enough and didn't take enough shots downfield to keep defenses honest. I was critical of Carr just as many of you have been. A few on this board were what I would call "Carr apologists," believing that whatever we saw him not do, he had a good reason. There was always an excuse -- not enough receivers, offensive line not playing well enough, whatever.

Since the first KC game, though, he has been playing "lights out" football. He's been picking up first downs with his legs. He's been moving around the pocket buying time, and he has been hitting passes downfield consistently, keeping defenses honest. As a long-time Raider fan, I am happy to see him elevate his game to the next level, the level we expected him to be after the 2016 season. He has become an elite player in recent weeks, one of the league's best QBs during that time period. There I said it.

A few weeks ago, I commented that a game in which he passed for under 200 yards was one of his best games as a Raider. To me, a QB does whatever it takes to win the game, whether it's passing for 400 yards, running for two TDs or handing the ball off to great running backs. To me the only stats that really matter are the win/loss record of the team, with the QB leading the team to victories consistently.

While his stats in previous years were great, they were often padded in garbage time, with the other teams playing prevent defense, opening up the field to short passes that would pad stats but would take time off the clock and not give us a chance to win. yes, his stats were good, but we will lost. When the game was on the line and we had a chance to win, his stats were mediocre at best.

We finally have a franchise QB. Thank you, Derek Carr.

Now, beat Atlanta and close out the rest of the season with victories and lead us to the playoffs and maybe even a Super Bowl.

This team has a chance to go far in the playoffs, but it will take a Derek Carr playing the way he's played the past few weeks to accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Some may say I've been a Derek Carr hater.
    You've been a Derek Carr lover compared to me.

Carrbage is having a tremendous season. IMO, much better than even his 2016 performance. Didn't think he had it in him. I'm more shocked at Carrbage turning things around than I am by Parker actually balling out.

PB has me happily eating crow.

he still playing like a pussy
    Joe Biden is curing corona with his magical leg hair and amazing presidential skills. Donít question it racists!!

Carr having a great season; glad Jon Gruden did not listen to me as he would have been long gone.....

I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    You've been a Derek Carr lover compared to me.

Carrbage is having a tremendous season. IMO, much better than even his 2016 performance. Didn't think he had it in him. I'm more shocked at Carrbage turning things around than I am by Parker actually balling out.

PB has me happily eating crow.
    I didn't think he had it in him, either, after the first few games of the season. His stats were good, but there was still something missig. Since the first KC game, it's almost as if he's decided that he's going to play all out, quit playing it safe and let the chips fall where they may.

He's played lights out football since then. Let's hope he continues. I would be love to have been completely wrong about him with my comments earlier this season and last season and watch him lead our team to a Super Bowl victory. He's got to keep it up.

After posting this thread. . .

I didn't think he had it in him, either, after the first few games of the season. His stats were good, but there was still something missig. Since the first KC game, it's almost as if he's decided that he's going to play all out, quit playing it safe and let the chips fall where they may.

He's played lights out football since then. Let's hope he continues. I would be love to have been completely wrong about him with my comments earlier this season and last season and watch him lead our team to a Super Bowl victory. He's got to keep it up.
    We see Carr lay a complete egg on the field today. Two fumbles and a pick six INT. It wasn't just him, but the entire offensive team. I can't say much about the defense either, although they had to play nearly the entire game on a short field because the offensive team kept giving the ball away to the other team.

Sitting at 6-4, with the playoffs within sight, this team once again came up short when it meant the most. And Carr was a big part of it.

Will he bounce back next week or will we see this team lose games it should win, just like it did last year, down the stretch in the race to the playoffs.

Today's loss was sickening.

I don't even know where to start> all-around shitty game from everybody.

We see Carr lay a complete egg on the field today. Two fumbles and a pick six INT. It wasn't just him, but the entire offensive team. I can't say much about the defense either, although they had to play nearly the entire game on a short field because the offensive team kept giving the ball away to the other team.

Sitting at 6-4, with the playoffs within sight, this team once again came up short when it meant the most. And Carr was a big part of it.

Will he bounce back next week or will we see this team lose games it should win, just like it did last year, down the stretch in the race to the playoffs.

Today's loss was sickening.
    This game was a wake up call....Falcons got beaten badly by the Saints last week and they were just on fire...plus all the bounces went the Falcons way and also; we were playing against a very good QB....

"We see Carr lay a complete egg on the field today. Two fumbles and a pick six INT. "

It was THREE lost fumbles. Horrific performance by the offense. Coming in Atlanta was ranked 25th in points against and 29th in yards against. Almost inexplicable.

The defense played well. They were physical. The first touchdown was after the stupid roughing penalty on the missed FG. The second was on the INT. So despite bad field position they gave up only the 2 FG, until the game was out of reach in Q4.

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyHater View Post
    I don't even know where to start> all-around shitty game from everybody.
    Yep. A complete meltdown.

Can't put this all on DC. He was crap yesterday, but not all his fault. No one showed up.

Gonna give him a partial mulligan since he's been pretty good so far this season, but the re-emergence of Carrbage McPussyboy has to be a concern.

Old adage has it that you're rarely as good as you look in victory, nor as bad as you look in defeat.

I don't think this team is as shitty as it looked yesterday. We'll find out soon enough if this loss is going to be the beginning of a death spiral like last year's loss to the Jets was, or if we're going to sack up and get our act together.

We can't possibly lose to the Jets, can we ? Season over if we do. Lose to the Falcons and Jets and it's hard to imagine running the table to make the playoffs.

I haven't given up just yet.

Also, can someone tell me WTF Gruden was thinking kicking a FG to go down by 17 yesterday ? Yeah, I know there was plenty of time left and the math says if we limit the Falcons to a FG the rest of the way, then 3 TDs can win the game....but c'mon....it was still a 3 score game after kicking the FG. Didn't like that decision at all.