Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Abram Problem - What’s the solution?

Jonathan Abram Problem - What’s the solution?

Can Abram play a hybrid safety/linebacker role? Clearly the guy is having issues in coverage but he brings a tremendous level of energy, tenacity and aggression to our defense. For those reasons (along with the fact that he’s a 1st round pick), we can’t simply bench the guy and call it a wrap ..

Any thoughts, ideas?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/raiders...152508711.html

Honestly I have no clue what he was doing on that TD. It was bad enough live, but that graphic though.....
    2nd worst in the league. Wow. I want to give him a pass as this is basically his first year playing, but this is why he wasn't 1st round material in the first place.

His over kill at tackling causes him to miss plays and get penalities. That is a teachable fix and shouldn't be still happening. Maybe linebacker would be a prudent move.
    Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    OK. You leave the forum permanently when I and Trump win. I'll leave permanently if you and dementia Joe win.

You've got a bet.

USA

TRUMP 2020

JUST WIN BABY

abrams need to learn to bottle up that energy of his and focus it on making plays rather then trying for headline hits,guenther should have fixed this issue but all i see is more of the same which is failure on a massive scale

Could be the dude just doesn't have enough above his shoulderpads to make it in this league. That's VERY possible. Maybe Guenther is coaching him up but in game situations he mentally falls apart. One thing is for sure....he can bring the lumber!!!!! I love that LOL

The problem is Abram is trying to live up to something he is not. They have to stop labeling him as an enforcer, he is no Jack Tatum. He is just going to get himself hurt if he continues on this trend. Like I said before, I looked at his college highlights and I do not see any big hits, much less hits that would label him as an enforcer. He's got speed, which is good. Anytime he makes a good tackle he acts like he just made the biggest hit ever. Doesn't act like a guy who is used to giving big hits and been there before.

I think he is too small to be a linebacker type, he will easily get blocked and I'm not sure if he can stop big RBs coming through the gaps.

He is always trying to act tough on the field, talking to the opposing team, throwing balls in their face, etc.. He gets away with a lot of unnecessary stuff after the refs blow the play dead. I'm just amazed he hasn't gotten more calls against him.

I think he can still be a solid safety for the Raiders, but he has to settle down and stop trying to be the enforcer.

Tanner Muse was drafted to move from safety to linebacker. He probably needs to be a box safety but the problem is Harris isn't every good at all so they hope Abram can cover. Heath is only serviceable here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Tanner Muse was drafted to move from safety to linebacker. He probably needs to be a box safety but the problem is Harris isn't every good at all so they hope Abram can cover. Heath is only serviceable here and there.
    agree about heath

I wouldn't be opposed to trying Abram in the box as a hybrid type player and bringing in an extra safety over the top to help solidify the back-end.

Abram had major issues in coverage dating back to college, so his struggles / shortcomings shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

Eric Harris shouldn't be seeing significant snaps no matter how hard he plays or how smart he might be; he's just not athletic enough in a league where every millisecond matters.

Are there any options in free agency?

He's still essentially a rookie after being out all last season, he can get better in coverage with more experience. My biggest beef with the dude is being a knucklehead after the plays are over. I like the aggression and his skill set, but he needs to be less of a jackass.