Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jonathan Abram Problem - Whatís the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    I like Abram and I think we need to give him time; the bottom line is that we are really young in the backfield..I think the Raiders should try and bring everyone back next season but just add a couple on the defense; I think drafting a DT early would be a good thing....Mahomes and Kelce are like the best in the business...
    This is a very weak class for DT's. The DT's in this draft are more run stuffers in the mold of Hankins. Drafting one in the first round would be a waste. Also no safety is good enough to go in the first round either. Its another deep WR class and some good LB's. Some good corners could be available. If we are going to compete with the Chiefs we are going to have to get pressure on the QB and cover. This draft isn't good at getting pressure, maybe a corner that will play in the slot and actually cover Kelse. Instead of continuously putting a safety on him and him whipping our ass every game. I wouldn't be against trading our first round pick for a difference maker on defense. Offensively we are good. Is a first rounder going to come in and make this defense top 10 or top 15. Highly unlikely. But a player like Fletcher Cox or JJ Watt could. I'm just using those two players as an example of an older player that could get traded.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    This is a very weak class for DT's. The DT's in this draft are more run stuffers in the mold of Hankins. Drafting one in the first round would be a waste. Also no safety is good enough to go in the first round either. Its another deep WR class and some good LB's. Some good corners could be available. If we are going to compete with the Chiefs we are going to have to get pressure on the QB and cover. This draft isn't good at getting pressure, maybe a corner that will play in the slot and actually cover Kelse. Instead of continuously putting a safety on him and him whipping our ass every game. I wouldn't be against trading our first round pick for a difference maker on defense. Offensively we are good. Is a first rounder going to come in and make this defense top 10 or top 15. Highly unlikely. But a player like Fletcher Cox or JJ Watt could. I'm just using those two players as an example of an older player that could get traded.
    We just don't have that many good DT after Hankins; I think Fletcher Cox will be a free agent in 2021 and if the Raiders could get him would be a major help for the line.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    We just don't have that many good DT after Hankins; I think Fletcher Cox will be a free agent in 2021 and if the Raiders could get him would be a major help for the line.
    Fletcher is still under contract until 2024. H signed a 6 year 100 million contract not too long ago. He's still playing pretty good football but for how much longer. Two maybe there years. Next year is opportunity to win it all. This defense has to improve and we need a big time player. We went the draft route the past two years on defense. It produced decent players which every team needs but we need someone special.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defense/

Lots of good OLB will hit the market next season. Couple DE names will too. The best DT out there is Suh. If we want a pass rushing DT for next season we'll have to trade for one.

Like someone else mentioned, this years draft class is weak at DT. It's another strong WR class with LBs being next up. I can see us putting up our 1st round pick for bidding for a defensive difference maker.

Of course this is just my opinion but from what I've seen so far Abram seems to go for the kill shot without wrapping up more often that not; and his coverage skills are WTF ? at this point. He has brain fart moments out their.

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defense/

Lots of good OLB will hit the market next season. Couple DE names will too. The best DT out there is Suh. If we want a pass rushing DT for next season we'll have to trade for one.

Like someone else mentioned, this years draft class is weak at DT. It's another strong WR class with LBs being next up. I can see us putting up our 1st round pick for bidding for a defensive difference maker.
    If the DE's are any good teams don't let them hit free agency. As for OLB, most are 3-4 OLB. Doesn't fit our system. All will be overpaid and we went that route last year with Littleton. Unfortunately the only way to get a game changer on defense is either draft one, extremely difficult. We found two in 30 years. Mack and Woodson. Both were taken in the top 5 and fell into our laps. Or you need to trade for one. Like we did with Richard Seymour. When we traded for Seymour that was a bad team and he didn't make a difference. If this team were able to find Richard Seymour it could make us into a contender and that would be worth the first round pick.