Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Henry Ruggs

Sure it's too early to make a FINAL, definitive conclusion on Ruggs, but so far it looks like the wrong pick. I prefer to go with concrete evidence where possible, so let's look at the stats for all the first round WRs in 2020.

Rec Yrd TD
    Ruggs 14 256 1
    Jeudy 37 589 2
    Lamb 48 629 4
    Reagor 16 211 1
    Jefferson 45 848 4
    Aiyuk 35 446 3

The numbers speak for themselves. As with the Ferrell pick, the Raiders went against the grain, taken a guy well ahead of players who were rated (by census) higher. I know people will say "the scouts get it wrong, don't trust talking heads, etc. But the pre-draft rankings are a decent guide to how the players will turn out, more often than not. When you think you know better than everyone else, you take a risk and it often can blow up in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Run why? What does that prove. Nothing. If the Raiders are down by 30 points and he doesn't run for a first down, you Carr bashers think its the end of the world. The Raiders were losing and had ZERO chance to win the game. Why put your body at risk? They game was over, the Raiders had no chance of going to the playoffs. So lets have an idiot QB put his head down and take on two linebackers and blow his knee out and miss next season. Thats the smart thing to do.

Stop with the 50/50 balls already. They are not 50/50 balls. They are not completed 50 percent of the time. A thing called an interception can happen. Have you heard of it? If the Raiders turn the ball over, they will lose the game. Get it.

The reason for his success are that have a receiver in Aghlohor that can get open and make plays. And we have better talent. That's the reason. Simple. Last year we didn't. He's playing the same. No difference in his game. Its that fans are not on his case over ever single missed opportunity. That if he didn't play a perfect game we didn't win. He's the same QB.
    I can't speak for others, but regarding Carr running, I'm talking about when the game is on the line or we still have a chance at winning the game and there is a whole bunch of real estate in front of him to make a first down and he doesn't do it (this year he is doing it). It could keep the drive alive and who knows, maybe even score a TD. If the game is out of reach, I don't care what he does, it doesn't matter at that point. But like you said, he shouldn't run if the game is out of reach.

Maybe I'm using the term "50/50 ball" incorrectly, but I don't mean it's completed 50% of the time. I just mean he and the defender both have a chance to go get the ball. And with his ability I believe he would win those battles more often than not. That's when you have to give your receiver a "chance" to make a play and at the same time keep the defense honest.

I think one thing that is a glaring difference in Carr's play is his "willingness" to run when there is no one open. That alone has made a big difference in the offense. He's also looking more at all his receivers during the play, in other words he's holding on to the ball longer giving his receivers time to get open.

You aren't using that term incorrectly. He just decided to dismiss it because it didn't fit his narrative or he doesn't know what the term actually means.

I agree that Ruggs should get more shots like that IE: Carr shows faith in Ruggs's ability to leap, high point passes, and make catches in traffic. He is skilled at that. Carr needs to trust him and he doesn't at the moment.

The talent is there for Ruggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post
    So because Carr had absolute trash at WR he should have been turned into a running QB? hahaha

The CarrBashians have been soooooo wrong about it, and they rear their ugly heads from time to time. Like wanting Brady, Love, Mariota, Winston etc.
    Its just bad.

He's always been a fine top 15 QB with a dumpster fire of crap around him his whole career. Top 10 QB like in 2016 and 2019 when he had solid pieces around him. Now he has the combo of a good returning coaching staff with good returning players & he's around a top 5 QB.

1 thing we don't know, what can he be with a solid D?

Last years Mahomes Super Bowl season? The D was bottom 10 through 1st 10 games. Mahomes was 5-3 while the D struggled. Then KC's D took off and was a legit top 10 D, even top 5 and we know what happened. 9-0 the rest of the way with a SB championship.

Its weird what can happen when you get support. Its STILL up to Mayock/Gruden to build a damn average D this offseason so we can compete for a SB!
    Only when it was necessary to run if the game was close and we needed a first down to keep the drive alive.

If the Raiders had a good defense, we would be blowing teams out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungary87 View Post
    Sure it's too early to make a FINAL, definitive conclusion on Ruggs, but so far it looks like the wrong pick. I prefer to go with concrete evidence where possible, so let's look at the stats for all the first round WRs in 2020.

Rec Yrd TD
    Ruggs 14 256 1
    Jeudy 37 589 2
    Lamb 48 629 4
    Reagor 16 211 1
    Jefferson 45 848 4
    Aiyuk 35 446 3

The numbers speak for themselves. As with the Ferrell pick, the Raiders went against the grain, taken a guy well ahead of players who were rated (by census) higher. I know people will say "the scouts get it wrong, don't trust talking heads, etc. But the pre-draft rankings are a decent guide to how the players will turn out, more often than not. When you think you know better than everyone else, you take a risk and it often can blow up in your face.
    On this board the Ferrell argument has been beaten to death. Ferrell was the 2nd rated DE in the draft. He was all during the season and maybe shouldn't of been a top 5 pick. But he was going top 12. If no team wants to trade up, you need to take the player at the most needed position.. That was DE. The year before we did the same thing with Kolton Miller. Everyone said Josh Allen this Josh allen that. This year Josh Allen had 12 tackles before he went on IR ending his season. Its a lot easier getting sacks when Calai Cambell and Yannick Ngakoue are drawing multiple blockers. And Josh Allen was a 3-4 OLB, not the defense we were using and Allen is about as useless against the run as Arden Key. Josh Allen was not a fit for the Raiders. Who was th DE that was rated higher? Maybe Montez Sweat. He had a heart condition and was a risky pick.
    Last edited by psly2124; 11-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Henry ruggs this wk will put up 7 rec 150 yds and 2 tds...there i said it,now it'll happen

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    Henry ruggs this wk will put up 7 rec 150 yds and 2 tds...there i said it,now it'll happen
    Not going to happen. Maybe 2-22 if we are lucky with a 7 yard end around

So he's going to catch both of the passes PB throws to him ? Long as we win.

cle ferrell is still rated top 13 d/e in the game,we absolutely missed him vs kc as they ran right at that spot with success and 2 tds plus in game 1 cle was pushing that pocket and getting lots of pressure on mahomes all game long and shutting down the run lanes

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    cle ferrell is still rated top 13 d/e in the game,we absolutely missed him vs kc as they ran right at that spot with success and 2 tds plus in game 1 cle was pushing that pocket and getting lots of pressure on mahomes all game long and shutting down the run lanes
    I like Cle, I don't think he's as bad as fans on here think. I would have loved to have Devin White. But Ferrell does everything well except put up stats like sacks. Unfortunately that how DE's are measured. The sacks will eventually come for Cle. Think he will settle into a 6-8 sacks guy. i don't think he's quick enough to put up better numbers. Crosby has 6 sacks this year and I dont think he beat the tackle on 1 of them. Crosby's sacks are effort and coverage sacks. When the QB is sitting in the pocket for 6 seconds and decides to run, Crosby will get the two yard sac