Thread: Time to step up!

Time to step up!

The Saints, even without Michael Thomas, will be a formidable opponent. It is time to step up, Raiders.

A loss likely means this team will finish 8-8 or may 9-7. A win means we could be looking at 10-6 or even 12-4. Good teams beat other good teams if they want to make the playoffs.

We barely beat the Panthers. We took our foot off the gas after getting a 12-point lead and let them get back into the game and even take the lead. We can't do this against better teams like the Saints.

I'm tired of the excuses. This team has talent, the best group of talent we've had in a long time. We have finally have quality starters at every position, with depth to allow the Raiders to endure a few injuries.

Yesterday, I watched Justin Herbert nearly lead the Chargers to a win against the Chiefs. Herbert, a rookie, threw the ball downfield into tight spaces, giving his WRs a chance to make plays. I'm sorry, but I rarely see this with Carr. I also saw Herbert run to keep plays alive, which we rarely see Carr do. Did Herbert make some mistakes? Absolutely. But he didn't play scared. He played to win. Last week, I watched Carr hit a wide open Ruggs on a deep ball, loft a nice ball to Nellie in single coverage for a TD. But I also saw him throw a pass to Hunter Renfrow down the field into double coverage that should have been intercepted, but instead we got a first down because linebacker Tahir Whitehead can't cover anyone without interfering. We were lucky. Teams can't rely on luck to beat other good teams. Teams have to BEAT the other teams consistently with solid play.

I want the Raiders to win tonight more than anything. We can beat the Saints, just alike we did a few years ago. Our team is better than it was then; the Saints are likely better, too. But teams that want to make the playoffs beat other good teams. That's just how the NFL is.

This is a measuring stick for the Raiders. Are they going to compete for the playoffs and potentially even win a division? Or are they going to play just good enough to win one week, play a good team the next week and lose -- for another season of mediocrity or less? Or are they going to finally step up and live up to the greatness of the Raiders name -- in a brand new stadium that should inspire them to greatness?

I'm hoping for the latter.

I seriously doubt we beat the Saints. They have better talent than we have. Or more precisely they have more experience at every position than we do. We have rookies at the WR position and a rookie and 1 year vet at the CB positions. It'll take a little time for the rookies to mature (baptism by fire) and the vets like the LB'rs need to gel. If we keep it close all game, then I'll be happy because the player will gain experience as a team and they'll see that they can hang with anyone. Course if they win, I'll be bouncing off the living room walls!

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Yesterday, I watched Justin Herbert nearly lead the Chargers to a win against the Chiefs. Herbert, a rookie, threw the ball downfield into tight spaces, giving his WRs a chance to make plays. I'm sorry, but I rarely see this with Carr. I also saw Herbert run to keep plays alive, which we rarely see Carr do. Did Herbert make some mistakes? Absolutely. But he didn't play scared. He played to win. Last week, I watched Carr hit a wide open Ruggs on a deep ball, loft a nice ball to Nellie in single coverage for a TD. But I also saw him throw a pass to Hunter Renfrow down the field into double coverage that should have been intercepted, but instead we got a first down because linebacker Tahir Whitehead can't cover anyone without interfering. We were lucky.
    Yeah, we got a little lucky on that play. The pass was into double coverage and Whitehead bailed us out. We caught a break.

But look at it this way....sometimes you have to make your own luck.

Even if that pass was incomplete or picked....at least Pussyboy took a shot.

Would we have been better off if Pussyboy did his typical thing and threw the ball away or turfed it or checked down for no gain ?

It's pretty easy to see what separates Pussyboy from being an elite QB like a Russ Wilson....

Number one: Wilson will always scramble for a first down when it is available. Pussyboy never does.

Number two: Wilson will hold onto the ball and isn't scared shitless to take a hit in order to throw the ball downfield. Pussyboy will always look to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds and rarely looks to stretch the field.

Time to step up is right. It's time that Pussyboy uses his legs to make some plays and grows a pair and throws the ball downfield more than once a game.

Gruden has to drum this into Pussyboy's head and keep the pressure on. Otherwise we're going to rank 24th in points scored again while Pussyboy brags about his 70% completion rate.

We've got a chance tonight. Brees' arm is shot and he definitely won't beat us with his legs. Don't fear the long ball. Tight man to man coverage for 20 yards. Keep a spy on Kamara at all times. The Aints aren't the world beaters on offense they're made out to be.

They are however, pretty good defensively. Don't think they've had a 100 yard rusher against them now for 44 games. They'll be looking to slow down and snuff out JJ. JJ is our offensive MVP, not Pussyboy.

If Guenther's D can get some stops and Pussyboy can get us into the endzone a WIN isn't mission impossible.

We have to beat good teams if we want to make the playoffs.

It's time for Pussyboy and the RAIDERS as a team to put up or shut up.

We're not done even if we lose tonight but a WIN surely positions us to make some noise this year. Tired of the season being over by week 5.

USA

TRUMP 2020

JUST WIN BABY

No, we're not done

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Yeah, we got a little lucky on that play. The pass was into double coverage and Whitehead bailed us out. We caught a break.

But look at it this way....sometimes you have to make your own luck.

Even if that pass was incomplete or picked....at least Pussyboy took a shot.

Would we have been better off if Pussyboy did his typical thing and threw the ball away or turfed it or checked down for no gain ?

It's pretty easy to see what separates Pussyboy from being an elite QB like a Russ Wilson....

Number one: Wilson will always scramble for a first down when it is available. Pussyboy never does.

Number two: Wilson will hold onto the ball and isn't scared shitless to take a hit in order to throw the ball downfield. Pussyboy will always look to get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds and rarely looks to stretch the field.

Time to step up is right. It's time that Pussyboy uses his legs to make some plays and grows a pair and throws the ball downfield more than once a game.

Gruden has to drum this into Pussyboy's head and keep the pressure on. Otherwise we're going to rank 24th in points scored again while Pussyboy brags about his 70% completion rate.

We've got a chance tonight. Brees' arm is shot and he definitely won't beat us with his legs. Don't fear the long ball. Tight man to man coverage for 20 yards. Keep a spy on Kamara at all times. The Aints aren't the world beaters on offense they're made out to be.

They are however, pretty good defensively. Don't think they've had a 100 yard rusher against them now for 44 games. They'll be looking to slow down and snuff out JJ. JJ is our offensive MVP, not Pussyboy.

If Guenther's D can get some stops and Pussyboy can get us into the endzone a WIN isn't mission impossible.

We have to beat good teams if we want to make the playoffs.

It's time for Pussyboy and the RAIDERS as a team to put up or shut up.

We're not done even if we lose tonight but a WIN surely positions us to make some noise this year. Tired of the season being over by week 5.

USA

TRUMP 2020

JUST WIN BABY
    If we lose tonight, we're not done, but I believe our expectations fall from playoffs and even possible division champs to mediocre, once more.

With the Raiders of old, you always knew we had a chance to compete. Down 21 points at the half, and you knew we were coming back. Start off the season at 1-3, and you knew those guys were going to battle. I just don't see Derek Carr with the mentality to do this. Not at all.

I am hoping for the test, an MVP type of year for Derek Carr, but I've been disappointed so many times now. I'm not a Derek Carr hater; I'm a Derek Carr realist.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    If we lose tonight, we're not done, but I believe our expectations fall from playoffs and even possible division champs to mediocre, once more.

With the Raiders of old, you always knew we had a chance to compete. Down 21 points at the half, and you knew we were coming back. Start off the season at 1-3, and you knew those guys were going to battle. I just don't see Derek Carr with the mentality to do this. Not at all.

I am hoping for the test, an MVP type of year for Derek Carr, but I've been disappointed so many times now. I'm not a Derek Carr hater; I'm a Derek Carr realist.
    I'm a Carrbage realist too...that's why I hate him. Actually, I don't hate Pussyboy, I just hate him being the RAIDER QB.

Pussyboy as NFL MVP ? 41, you missed your calling as a comedian. Thanks for the laugh though.

USA

TRUMP 2020

JUST WIN BABY