Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edwards already beat out Ruggs

Edwards already beat out Ruggs

Starting Ruggs in the slot is not a good sign. Renfroe played well last year and was the starting slot receiver. This reminds me of the Roberta Gallery situation, where he was beaten out by Barry Sims and played RT. All the fans were saying move him to his "natural" position of LT. Well we know how that turned out.
    Edwards time is here and i'm expecting a big year. Better numbers than Ruggs, thats for sure. Exactly what i've said all along. Speed doesn't mean shit if you can't get off the line. Everyone said he's on the outside and will REQUIRE double teams. I laughed. No way was Ruggs a pick by Mayock. Everything he said in that predraft press conference was exactly what Henry Ruggs was. At least Maycok thinks like me and knew Edwards would be a stud.
    https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/202...start-in-slot/
    Last edited by psly2124; 08-06-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Moving Ruggs to the slot means moving Renfrow to the bench. I don't see it. Renfrow had 605 receiving yards as a rookie and missed 3 games due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Moving Ruggs to the slot means moving Renfrow to the bench. I don't see it. Renfrow had 605 receiving yards as a rookie and missed 3 games due to injury.
    When you have to get the #12 pick on the field. Good players have to sit the bench. We didn't draft him to be in the slot. We drafted him to be on the outside and in three days of practice he proved he could not handle it. We didn't even put on pads yet. I have a feeling this Ruggs pick is going to cost us Mayock. He didn't want him and he knows we should not have taken him. Someone is going to pay Mayock a lot of money and give him total control of a roster.
    Last edited by psly2124; 08-06-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    When you have to get the #12 pick on the field. Good players have to sit the bench. We didn't draft him to be in the slot. We drafted him to be on the outside and in three days of practice he proved he could not handle it. We didn't even put on pads yet. I have a feeling this Ruggs pick is going to cost us Mayock. He didn't want him and he knows we should not have taken him. Someone is going to pay Mayock a lot of money and give him total control of a roster.
    This observation is a little premature. Let's wait and see whether Gruden is actually moving Ruggs around to see what plays he can come up with. It's been reported that Ruggs has an excellent football IQ. Gruden has a complex playbook. Couple that with very little offseason practice by Ruggs, he might be a bit behind. Gruden and his staff have to cram a lot of practice into a small training camp window. Give the kid a break! He hasn't even played a single NFL game and you're already calling him a bust!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRaider View Post
    This observation is a little premature. Let's wait and see whether Gruden is actually moving Ruggs around to see what plays he can come up with. It's been reported that Ruggs has an excellent football IQ. Gruden has a complex playbook. Couple that with very little offseason practice by Ruggs, he might be a bit behind. Gruden and his staff have to cram a lot of practice into a small training camp window. Give the kid a break! He hasn't even played a single NFL game and you're already calling him a bust!
    I'm just going off of what Olsen said. Ruggs is starting in the slot. Ruggs wasn't drafted to start in the slot, which mean he was beaten out by Edwards. We did not have an issue with Renfroe in the slot. And we didn't draft a player at #12 to take his place. A complex playbook has nothing to do with him starting in the slot. If the playbook was complex and didn't pick it up. He wouldn't be on the field. I was calling him a bust from the minute we took him. The comparisons to Tyreke hill are not even close.
    Last edited by psly2124; 08-06-2020 at 05:45 AM.

I'm just going off of what Olsen said. Ruggs is starting in the slot. Ruggs wasn't drafted to start in the slot, which mean he was beaten out by Edwards. We did not have an issue with Renfroe in the slot. And we didn't draft a player at #12 to take his place. A complex playbook has nothing to do with him starting in the slot. If the playbook was complex and didn't pick it up. He wouldn't be on the field. I was calling him a bust from the minute we took him. The comparisons to Tyreke hill are not even close.
    Like I mentioned earlier, kind of hard to label someone a bust when they haven't played a single game in the NFL. Ruggs was not my #1 choice at WR. CeeDee Lamb was my #1 choice. However, I do see what Ruggs can bring to the table. Not sure if he's having trouble getting off the line or whether Gruden sees Ruggs coming in underneath with a LBr or Safety in tow a huge advantage. Whatever the reason, if it works out to our advantage, as a team, then I'm all for it. As with any pick, time will tell. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel this early.

Ruggs was never drafted to start and/or play outside 100% of the time. This is a waste of a thread. Modern offenses no longer need true #1 WRs to play 100% of the time outside. It's all about taking advantage of matchups across the LoS and also at the various levels of route progressions with athletic playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRaider View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, kind of hard to label someone a bust when they haven't played a single game in the NFL. Ruggs was not my #1 choice at WR. CeeDee Lamb was my #1 choice. However, I do see what Ruggs can bring to the table. Not sure if he's having trouble getting off the line or whether Gruden sees Ruggs coming in underneath with a LBr or Safety in tow a huge advantage. Whatever the reason, if it works out to our advantage, as a team, then I'm all for it. As with any pick, time will tell. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel this early.
    Over time he can be a good player. But what fans are expecting from him, he will be a bust. They expect him to be Tyreke Hill, he isn't. Fans want him to be a #1 receiver and he isn't that either. He is a complementary receiver who plays off a #1. Which is fine, I think we have that guy in Edwards. And when he does't have better numbers than Edwards, fans will call him a bust. It is what it is.

He's already backtracking in here in less than 2 hours trying to imply that others will call Ruggs a bust while he won't stay out on his own limb since he dislikes Ruggs so much. Probably because of all of the success Alabama has had recently compared to LSU (an LSU fan from Jersey living in Florida...weird..)

Over time he can be a good player. But what fans are expecting from him, he will be a bust. They expect him to be Tyreke Hill, he isn't. Fans want him to be a #1 receiver and he isn't that either. He is a complementary receiver who plays off a #1. Which is fine, I think we have that guy in Edwards. And when he does't have better numbers than Edwards, fans will call him a bust. It is what it is.
    I understand what you're saying. However, for me, I'll reserve judgement for a couple of years to see how he develops. Gotta keep in mind that Ruggs, due to injury, missed out on some offseason work with the team which put him behind in the power curve. This COVID-19 situation hasn't helped rookies one bit in their development. I will also say that if Edwards is proving better at the #1 WR position then so much the better. All I care about, at this point, is winning games this season. I don't care who plays where as long as it translates to wins.