Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Blitz Or Not To Blitz

To Blitz Or Not To Blitz

Most long time RAIDER fans know AL's philosophy that the QB must go down, and he must go down hard, in the first 10 plays of the game.

Hard to argue with that. Turn the opposing QB into Pussyboy and the opposition isn't likely to score.

Even though punishing the opposing QB has always been a central component of the RAIDER defensive philosophy, blitzing has never been largely employed in order to accomplish the goal of making the opposing QB feel the pain.

Rather, AL preferred to have the defensive line bring the heat and emphasized having great 'bump and run' cornerbacks that could cover all day.

We've never been a blitz happy team. Fundamentally, I can understand that approach. If you can get to the QB without blitzing, why open yourself to getting hurt when the opposition can pick up the blitz and burn you ?

That being said, what happens when you can't get to the QB ?

Can any defense afford to only sack the QB a total of 13 times in 16 games and not look to blitz more frequently ?

Paul Guenther seems to think so. Look at these stats:

Josh Dubow @JoshDubowAP
    Guenther’s defenses ranked 30th in blitzes in 2016 and 2017 in Cinci per @Sportradar and then 31st in both his seasons with #Raiders

Last season, #Raiders were first team in NFL since the 2008 Colts to get no sacks from a linebacker or DB.

31st in blitzes in 2018 and 2019 ? Not a single sack from a LB or DB in all of 2019 ?

I think we need a more aggressive defensive coordinator. I get the 'lack of horses' argument; but when you're giving up points by the boatload and not getting to the QB in the process, it might be time to change things up a bit.

Lots of new faces defensively. We can easily have 7 new starters this year. The coaches are going to have their hands full forming a cohesive unit early. No fucking excuses though. Just get it done.

Hopefully Marinelli brings a little more blitzing, stunting, and creativity to the RAIDER defense in 2020.

Well I think the def. line will be much
    better as Crosby, Hurst, Ferrell and
    Hall will be better as they will have a
    year or two in the NFL under their belt....

In 2019 we really had no decent linebackers
    after Burflick...and he was banned from
    playing at almost the start of the season.

I think Guenther got more ammo to play
    with in 2020....we just have to see how it
    goes....

You have to create pressure from your front 4. If you can't the defense is doomed. Multiple players will be left open with constant blitzing. We couldn't cover 4 with 7, how were we going to cover with two less. The Eagles have had some of the better defense over the past 5 years and they rarely blitz. When the defense gets better and is able to cover, they can blitz more. Just because you blitz doesn't mean they will create pressure and sacks. We gave up a shit ton of big plays the past couple years without blitzing, I can't imagine how many more 80 yard TD's we would have given up when the bums we were blitzing got picked up. I get it we were not blitzing and opposing offense were still picking up third downs almost every opportunity. I was yelling to do something different and blitz, but something different may have been touchdowns instead of first downs. 3rd and 12 are almost gimmies on the defense the last 20 years. Opposing teams must be converting what seems like 75% on third and very longs. Screen passes on 3rd and over 15 must convert between 80-90%. Pre Guenther I think Broncos Running backs and Jamal Charles picked up first downs at 95% success rate on screen passes. Guenther has done a great job at getting that down to what feels like 92% success rate.
    Last edited by psly2124; 06-02-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    enter rod marinelli
    Hopefully, he's going to make a difference. Not only just coaching up the defensive linemen and improving/motivating them individually - but also the entire defense schematically.

Something is wrong when you only get 13 sacks in an entire season, or when you're the first team in 12 years not to record a single sack from a LB or CB.

That's not just a personnel problem. That's a schematic, defensive coordinator problem.

Something has to change.

Paulie PopGun should be on notice.

Here's to hoping Hurst makes another stride and Collins is a difference maker rushing the QB as well. With the LB position re-stocked I feel better about our defense going into this season. If we are noticibly better hopefully that gives Guenther the balls to take more risks.

Guenther NORMALLY likes to blitz...but you have to solid on the back end of your defense and at the corners. Otherwise its picked up and they burn you big. That actually is what has been happening for the last few years. So yes we blitz and bring more. We stopped because we knew our DBs were trash and we couldn't leave them out there on an island because it would only get us burned. If you ever watch Gruden talk to Guenther during key times our defense is on the field he tells him to bring the heat...We have a much more solid defensive unit and press corners allow us to blitz more. I would expect us to see more blitzes. Historically Raiders blitzed well....Woodson was a beast with the safety blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    Guenther NORMALLY likes to blitz...
    Bullshit.

Guenther’s defenses ranked 30th in blitzes in 2016 and 2017 in Cinci per @Sportradar and then 31st in both his seasons with #Raiders

Guenther blitzes as frequently as Pussyboy attempts to stretch the field.

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    Here's to hoping Hurst makes another stride and Collins is a difference maker rushing the QB as well. With the LB position re-stocked I feel better about our defense going into this season. If we are noticibly better hopefully that gives Guenther the balls to take more risks.
    mo hurst,maliek collins and pj hall were top 10 in win pct at the position,that means expect more sacks up the middle and if that happens mad max,cle ferrell,nassib,key and others will get some easy sacks

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Bullshit.

Guenther blitzes as frequently as Pussyboy attempts to stretch the field.
    guenther is used to having a stud dline get the pressure plus good secondaries if he's missing at those spots he can't make adjustments if his life depended on it,i want rod marinelli as our dcord that man knows how to produce top 10 defenses