Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson's Future

Jackson's Future

Gabe Jackson's $9.6M salary becomes guaranteed on June 1. Could he be released? I think he stays.

I think you're right. Probably stays, but it's a 50/50 proposition.

If he does stay, hopefully we can restructure his deal.

Based on his level of play and injuries the last few years, there's no way GJax is worth anywhere near 9.6M

I'd be comfortable rolling with Good instead of Gabe and using the $$ saved elsewhere.

Also should note that Simpson was at the recent Vegas DC4 workouts and has said he's already working with Pussyboy trying to get used to his cadence.

Don't see Simpson starting immediately, but I can envision a plan to have Good as the season starter with the rookie waiting in the wings to step in if he falters. Mayock's Clemson guys have a way of seeing snaps in their rookie campaigns.

Ordinarily, I think Gabe would be toast. But for some reason, Gruden seems to like Gabe and always talks him up. Could be bullshit, but I think he honestly believes Gabe can get back to his pro-bowl level of play.

Could go either way. If it was my decision, I'd cut Gabe loose. Probably stays with a restructure though.

Good, Simpson, Devey, James .. plenty of serviceable options. I hope we restructure Jackson’s contract rather than releasing him, however we’re in a position where we can release Jackson without our on field product taking much of a hit .. if any.

He's dead weight. Cut his fat lazy ass. This is why we can get rid of him. No dead money. If we want to sign him to restructured deal we will be stuck with him and can't release him without penalty. When contracts are restructured it means guaranteeing money over an expended period. Restructuring deal for shitty players is how teams get put in bad salary cap situations. Put Simpson in and be done with this Reggie bum

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Gabe Jackson's $9.6M salary becomes guaranteed on June 1. Could he be released? I think he stays.
    I think he stays too. We tried to get something for him but no takers.
    Now if we had a guy we were trying to sign, maybe he’d be a cap casualty. But no reason to cut him if we don’t need the extra $.
    When healthy he can play. We’ll take the great depth!
    Maybe we have studs behind him ready to play and a desperate team is willing to part with a 3rd or even a 2nd after an injury. Especially if Gabe is having a good healthy season.

This team (On paper) looks ready to win now. If the new pieces come in ready and the returning pieces are healthy, we can make noise this year.
    Especially with the renewed energy surrounded by a city that is invested in the team.

The couch trolls on here won’t like it, but under Carr & Gruden, this O has the makings of a top 5 O in 2020.
    Now...can the D be at least average?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post
    I think he stays too. We tried to get something for him but no takers.
    Now if we had a guy we were trying to sign, maybe he’d be a cap casualty. But no reason to cut him if we don’t need the extra $.
    When healthy he can play. We’ll take the great depth!
    Maybe we have studs behind him ready to play and a desperate team is willing to part with a 3rd or even a 2nd after an injury. Especially if Gabe is having a good healthy season.

This team (On paper) looks ready to win now. If the new pieces come in ready and the returning pieces are healthy, we can make noise this year.
    Especially with the renewed energy surrounded by a city that is invested in the team.

The couch trolls on here won’t like it, but under Carr & Gruden, this O has the makings of a top 5 O in 2020.
    IF, big if, he is FINALLY healthy, we will keep him. The proper move would be to a) trade him (tried and obviously didn't get any suitable offers) or b) cut him and resign at a lower, market rate. Yes if healthy he can be a nice contributor to this line BUT as we all saw last year when Gabe was out, we can manage pretty well without him. In actuality I felt our o line played better without him last year. We really do have some deep o line depth and Good, Devey, possibly Simpson can all take over that spot without much fall off in production, at the minimum.
    My issue is Gabe was not healthy at all last year and even when he came back was clearly not the same. Was that a truly healthy Jackson that was back starting again and just declined due to age, or did he step back in still nursing a nagging injury? AGAIN, kid could come back this year and finally play as a road grader giving Jacobs chunks and keeping Carr (also known as Pussboy to some here) upright. Is it worth the almost 10 mil salary? Tough call before June 1st? Mayock and Gruden better figure it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    IF, big if, he is FINALLY healthy, we will keep him. The proper move would be to a) trade him (tried and obviously didn't get any suitable offers) or b) cut him and resign at a lower, market rate. Yes if healthy he can be a nice contributor to this line BUT as we all saw last year when Gabe was out, we can manage pretty well without him. In actuality I felt our o line played better without him last year. We really do have some deep o line depth and Good, Devey, possibly Simpson can all take over that spot without much fall off in production, at the minimum.
    My issue is Gabe was not healthy at all last year and even when he came back was clearly not the same. Was that a truly healthy Jackson that was back starting again and just declined due to age, or did he step back in still nursing a nagging injury? AGAIN, kid could come back this year and finally play as a road grader giving Jacobs chunks and keeping Carr (also known as Pussboy to some here) upright. Is it worth the almost 10 mil salary? Tough call before June 1st? Mayock and Gruden better figure it out this weekend.
    $30 million between Brown and Jackson and both only took part in about 50% of all offensive snaps last season. I'm glad both can be moved along without any dead cap hit after this season (yes, I'm aware that Jackson can be cut now without any dead cap as well).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorRaider View Post
    $30 million between Brown and Jackson and both only took part in about 50% of all offensive snaps last season. I'm glad both can be moved along without any dead cap hit after this season (yes, I'm aware that Jackson can be cut now without any dead cap as well).
    we keep jackson,we got a lot of depth on the oline and we move on from him next season freeing up 10 million in cap space plus their is comp picks if we lose gabe jackson in free agency

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post

I just love it when the Carrtards shoot their yappers off.

Top 5 offense ? We shall see.

Another post to bookmark for future reference.

#No More Excuses

You don't pay a guard 9 million a fucking year. Waste of money. I would pay a kicker 9 million before I paid a guard 9 million. Anyone GM that would sign a guard for 9 million a year, should be drawn and quartered at halftime on the 50 yard line after he did it. As a fucking lesson to what not to do and the consequences of doing it.