Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carr Needs To Throw The Ball Downfield More In 2020

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Carr Needs To Throw The Ball Downfield More In 2020

He goes down field when the plays call for it. When Gruden calls a play and all five receivers go no deeper than 5 yards. You have to go where the play is designed. Do players get open downfield, i'm sure they do. Not as often as fans think. Also Gruden is not calling plays where multiple players are going downfield on every play. Who was going deep last season? Williams could barely walk with his foot. Renfroe was a slot guy and Waller was the TE. The TE and slot guys usually run at most 10 yards. Was Zay Jones getting deep Keelan Doss or Ateman? If Williams were healthy, he would be going deep more often. The issue was that are two main threats were inside the hash. We didn't have a threat on the outside. Hopefully this season with Ruggs, Edwards and a healthy Williams we will see the offense go downfield more.

Excuses

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    He goes down field when the plays call for it. When Gruden calls a play and all five receivers go no deeper than 5 yards. You have to go where the play is designed. Do players get open downfield, i'm sure they do. Not as often as fans think. Also Gruden is not calling plays where multiple players are going downfield on every play. Who was going deep last season? Williams could barely walk with his foot. Renfroe was a slot guy and Waller was the TE. The TE and slot guys usually run at most 10 yards. Was Zay Jones getting deep Keelan Doss or Ateman? If Williams were healthy, he would be going deep more often. The issue was that are two main threats were inside the hash. We didn't have a threat on the outside. Hopefully this season with Ruggs, Edwards and a healthy Williams we will see the offense go downfield more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6tDkpnEBc

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    Sanjit is an idiot. Half those guys are covered and some are bracketed in the middle of the field. Sure some guys are open. But when he says him to throw the ball 60 yards rolling to his left because the guy was open. I've seen enough. This isn't Madden2020. Maybe Brett Farve could have made that throw in his prime. If it gets under thrown its picked off. Sometimes a QB doesn't see a guy, it happens. Peoples line of sight is obstructed. And fans like yourself think its like a video game, where every QB can make every throw. Also a QB doesn't have time to look at every receiver on every play waiting for them to get open. QB have a progression and maybe the first look isn't open and by the time he gets to the third or 4th look that first guy gets open, but its too late. I'm not defending Carr on every play, every QB misses throws, turns the ball over and makes a bad read. Its just that with Carr when one of these items happen in a game, the raiders lose. He has to play a flawless game for the Raiders to compete. And that isn't going to happen every week. Because the team is so bad that when he makes an error, the team can't recover. SO essentially every play is life or death with this team.
    Last edited by psly2124; 05-20-2020 at 10:25 AM.

I placed balls in

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Sanjit is an idiot. Half those guys are covered and some are bracketed in the middle of the field.
    tighter windows than required to complete these passes -- in my 50s. I guarantee you.

When a receiver has one yard of separation in the pros, he's open. When he has two or three yards of separation he's wide open.

I saw several wide open receivers on this video, including Josh Jacobs jumping up and down and waving his arms.

Carr just doesn't have "it." He looks to check down too quickly, feels the pressure too fast, and is unwilling to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass in the face of a pass rush. 818 calls him something else, but, yes, he is a wussy.

You just got to face it. This is Carr's last year unless he steps it up significantly. He has no more excuses. Three receivers were drafted, plus Williams will be coming back healthy.

The pass in the endzone when he threw to a covered receiver at the same time a freakin' wide open receiver crossed right in front of him was eye opening. TD? No incompletion because Derek wouldn't hold onto the ball a split second longer. He had a wide open receiver. Wide open. Wide open. Wide open. Wide open.

And he does it time and time again.

If Gruden puts up with that this season he needs to go back to the booth.

tighter windows than required to complete these passes -- in my 50s. I guarantee you.

When a receiver has one yard of separation in the pros, he's open. When he has two or three yards of separation he's wide open.

I saw several wide open receivers on this video, including Josh Jacobs jumping up and down and waving his arms.

Carr just doesn't have "it." He looks to check down too quickly, feels the pressure too fast, and is unwilling to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass in the face of a pass rush. 818 calls him something else, but, yes, he is a wussy.

You just got to face it. This is Carr's last year unless he steps it up significantly. He has no more excuses. Three receivers were drafted, plus Williams will be coming back healthy.

The pass in the endzone when he threw to a covered receiver at the same time a freakin' wide open receiver crossed right in front of him was eye opening. TD? No incompletion because Derek wouldn't hold onto the ball a split second longer. He had a wide open receiver. Wide open. Wide open. Wide open. Wide open.

Yep.......

Scenario for you (and anyone else who wishes to chime in): Through the first 7 games of 2020

Record - 3 wins, 4 losses
    Passing yards - ranked 14th
    Rushing yards - ranked 6th
    Carr - 70% completion rate, 1600 yards passing, 9 TD’s, 3 INT’s
    Points scored per game - 19 points which would be ranked 24th in the NFL

At this point...

Would you bench Carr in favor of Mariota?

Or

Would you allow Carr to continue course and hope that he starts putting up points?

Or

Would you concede that we’d be lucky to make the playoffs and it would make more sense to allow Carr to finish the season in order to keep Carr’s trade value afloat while also limiting Mariota’s snaps due to salary kickers in Mariota’s contract?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorRaider View Post
    Scenario for you (and anyone else who wishes to chime in): Through the first 7 games of 2020

Record - 3 wins, 4 losses
    Passing yards - ranked 14th
    Rushing yards - ranked 6th
    Carr - 70% completion rate, 1600 yards passing, 9 TD’s, 3 INT’s
    Points scored per game - 19 points which would be ranked 24th in the NFL

At this point...

Would you bench Carr in favor of Mariota?

Or

Would you allow Carr to continue course and hope that he starts putting up points?

Or

Would you concede that we’d be lucky to make the playoffs and it would make more sense to allow Carr to finish the season in order to keep Carr’s trade value afloat while also limiting Mariota’s snaps due to salary kickers in Mariota’s contract?
    Good points. I think it comes down to whether Carr is leaving money on the table again, or not. At the point up above he probably wouldn't get yanked, but Gruden could if he starts screwing up.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderBeliever View Post
    Good points. I think it comes down to whether Carr is leaving money on the table again, or not. At the point up above he probably wouldn't get yanked, but Gruden could if he starts screwing up.
    What would you do?