Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Mariota Be A Real Threat To Carr

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Can Mariota Be A Real Threat To Carr

In a word, yes. We have seen time and time again how a change of scenery resurrects a players career. Plunkett is a great example.

Yes...he has a chance...its a tall task...

No lol are you serious!?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfan43 View Post
    In a word, yes. We have seen time and time again how a change of scenery resurrects a players career. Plunkett is a great example.
    Different time and a different era. I would say no chance this year, because of what is going on. This isn't the 80's, teams had 25 plays. I have no idea how many plays the Raiders have, it would not surprise me if they had 500. Offenses are more complex in todays game, it isn't get in the game a throw it as far as you can. Quarterbacks need time with the offense, running plays getting familiar with each other. When a QB doesn't have that, it looks like the past two years. The QB needs to know where everyone is going to be on every play. The only way to do that is with practice and repetition. If you look at the top QB's in the game, they've been in the same offense for years. The ones that struggle, they have coaching changes and different playbooks. I compare it to learning a foreign language. You learn a new language and you can only speak it, then next year you learn another language, and the year after that a new one. And each year you can't speak the previous languages. It gets confusing, most of these quarterbacks and players on offense are not highly intelligent. Most barely made it through school and breezed through because of athletic ability.

I feel more Confident in Mariota if Carr went down more than I do ANY other back up DC's ever had but Carr is AloT! Better than Mariota
    Last edited by APROVO; 04-02-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Different time and a different era. I would say no chance this year, because of what is going on. This isn't the 80's, teams had 25 plays. I have no idea how many plays the Raiders have, it would not surprise me if they had 500. Offenses are more complex in todays game, it isn't get in the game a throw it as far as you can. Quarterbacks need time with the offense, running plays getting familiar with each other. When a QB doesn't have that, it looks like the past two years. The QB needs to know where everyone is going to be on every play. The only way to do that is with practice and repetition. If you look at the top QB's in the game, they've been in the same offense for years. The ones that struggle, they have coaching changes and different playbooks. I compare it to learning a foreign language. You learn a new language and you can only speak it, then next year you learn another language, and the year after that a new one. And each year you can't speak the previous languages. It gets confusing, most of these quarterbacks and players on offense are not highly intelligent. Most barely made it through school and breezed through because of athletic ability.
    He wont have the timing with the WRs, but he will know the playbook. He has a better chance of doing well than any other back up weve had in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by APROVO View Post
    I feel more Confident in Mariota if Carr went down more than I do ANY other back up DC's ever had but Carr is AloT! Better than Mariota
    100%. Mariota could come in and win a game or two. Nobody that was a backup for carr during his time, could ever come in and have a chance to win a game. I just don't think Mariota could do it over a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    100%. Mariota could come in and win a game or two. Nobody that was a backup for carr during his time, could ever come in and have a chance to win a game. I just don't think Mariota could do it over a full season.
    When we got Gannon ( a career backup) I was one of those who was loudly wondering why we were wasting $$ on that signing. He proved me wrong, and I hope Mariota does the same. Not holding my breath for it, but hoping

Quote Originally Posted by APROVO View Post
    same mariota is a huge upgrade on glennon,kiser or peterman