Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock Thought Raiders Would Get The Best Out Of Antonio Brown

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Mike Mayock Thought Raiders Would Get The Best Out Of Antonio Brown

“I put that on me,” Mayock told Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com on Friday. “My anticipation was that he was coming off a situation in Pittsburgh where he wants to prove everybody wrong, and he wants to ride into the Hall of Fame. That he was going to come in with Jon Gruden and Derek Carr and our offense and lead the way. . . .I really thought we were going to get the best out of Antonio Brown, and we didn’t.

“We weren’t able to get anything out of him. So, at the end of the day, in hindsight, we lost a third-round pick and a fifth-round pick, and I can’t tell you how much pain that causes me.”

The Raiders cut Brown two days after he threatened to punch Mayock as linebacker Vontaze Burfict played peacemaker. Coach Jon Gruden welcomed Brown back to the team, though, before the Raiders finally moved on.

It raised a question about whether Gruden and Mayock were in agreement about Brown’s future with the Raiders.

“Jon and I are good,” Mayock told Tafur. “Jon and I talk everything through.”
    =========================

The fact that Clown wasn't cut immediately after threatening MM speaks volumes about who has the final word regarding personnel decisions for the Raiders.

Credit to Mayock for taking full responsibility for the Clown debacle.

Somehow I get the feeling that it was Gruden that was more responsible for wanting to trade for the Clown to begin with - and that MM went along with it only because at the time a 3rd and 5th didn't seem like too much of a price to pay.

In any event, Gruden should be ashamed of himself for not cutting Clown IMMEDIATELY after he threatened MM and called him a 'cracka'.

That type of shit simply can not be tolerated. Not for a nanosecond.

It's indefensible that Gruden was still willing to retain the Clown and was actually calling him and asking 'what's going on, do you still want to be a Raider ?' after this shitshow went down.

WTF was Gruden thinking ? Did he actually believe the situation was salvageable after months of dealing with the Clown's bullshit, culminating with him threatening the GM ? If so, his judgement sucks.

Props to MM for issuing the 'all in or all out' ultimatum to the Clown and for being man enough to take full responsibilty for a mistake that probably wasn't all his doing to begin with.

Lost a lot of respect for Jon over the way he handled this.

Keep up the good work Mike. Nail the 2020 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    “I put that on me,” Mayock told Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com on Friday. “My anticipation was that he was coming off a situation in Pittsburgh where he wants to prove everybody wrong, and he wants to ride into the Hall of Fame. That he was going to come in with Jon Gruden and Derek Carr and our offense and lead the way. . . .I really thought we were going to get the best out of Antonio Brown, and we didn’t.

“We weren’t able to get anything out of him. So, at the end of the day, in hindsight, we lost a third-round pick and a fifth-round pick, and I can’t tell you how much pain that causes me.”

The Raiders cut Brown two days after he threatened to punch Mayock as linebacker Vontaze Burfict played peacemaker. Coach Jon Gruden welcomed Brown back to the team, though, before the Raiders finally moved on.

It raised a question about whether Gruden and Mayock were in agreement about Brown’s future with the Raiders.

The fact that Clown wasn't cut immediately after threatening MM speaks volumes about who has the final word regarding personnel decisions for the Raiders.

Somehow I get the feeling that it was Gruden that was more responsible for wanting to trade for the Clown to begin with - and that MM went along with it only because at the time a 3rd and 5th didn't seem like too much of a price to pay.

In any event, Gruden should be ashamed of himself for not cutting Clown IMMEDIATELY after he threatened MM and called him a 'cracka'.

It's indefensible that Gruden was still willing to retain the Clown and was actually calling him and asking 'what's going on, do you still want to be a Raider ?' after this shitshow went down.

WTF was Gruden thinking ? Did he actually believe the situation was salvageable after months of dealing with the Clown's bullshit, culminating with him threatening the GM ? If so, his judgement sucks.

Props to MM for issuing the 'all in or all out' ultimatum to the Clown and for being man enough to take full responsibilty for a mistake that probably wasn't all his doing to begin with.

not a big deal to me,probably wanted to hear a.b's side of the story before moving on from the center piece of the new offense,anyway its all water under the bridge now,we got multiple 1st rd pick and multiple 3rd rd picks plus a shitload of money to spend on improving the raiders,if you think about it even without the clown we should have won 10 games minus the zebra's

I doubt there was friction between Mayock and Gruden. Mayock realized how important AB was to the success of the team. He says that in the article. After the confrontation on the field, Gruden tested AB to get an idea where he was after the argument. What happen next? The Raiders dropped the guarantees in the contract and AB asked to be released. That all but guaranteed AB could not successfully hit the Raiders with a lawsuit.

It sounds to me as though Mayock is anxious to get going on free agency and the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    I doubt there was friction between Mayock and Gruden. Mayock realized how important AB was to the success of the team. He says that in the article. After the confrontation on the field, Gruden tested AB to get an idea where he was after the argument. What happen next? The Raiders dropped the guarantees in the contract and AB asked to be released. That all but guaranteed AB could not successfully hit the Raiders with a lawsuit.

It sounds to me as though Mayock is anxious to get going on free agency and the draft.
    robbie anderson incoming imo

Robbie Anderson is a Tyrell Williams clone they both have the same skill set

Quote Originally Posted by raidernation200 View Post
    Robbie Anderson is a Tyrell Williams clone they both have the same skill set
    completely different beast robbie anderson run a 4.38 40,twill is closer to 5 sec anderson catch a short pass and take it to the house,twill cannot

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post

Totally agree. When the opportunity to grab him arose I don’t think anyone outside Pittsburgh really thought he was the head case he turned out to be. Both Mayock and Gruden were star struck at what had just fallen into their laps.

Gruden should have cut bait after the confrontation on the practice field, at least they came together and got rid of him before we had to pay him though—that could have caused irreparable harm to Mayock and Gruden’s working relationship. If anything maybe this will show Gruden that he needs to listen to Mayock’s input before making any rash decisions.

Carr won't ever look Robbie Anderson's way so there's no point in wasting money on a deep threat. We saw that with Amari Cooper getting pissed off at Carr being a puss.
    December 2019 -
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    If Carr plays 2 seasons in Vegas, I will leave the board. If Carr doesn't last 2 seasons in Vegas, you leave. How about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    One stipulation on the bet. If Gruden quits or he's fired. I don't see that happening. But if a new coach came in Carr would not be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Fair enough on a coaching change altering the situation. Bet is canceled if a coaching change happens during those 2 seasons.
    The countdown begins

Giving Carr a deep threat is like giving a 97 year old grandma a Lamborghini.

What's the fucking point ?