Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mike Mayock Previews 2020 Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorRaider View Post
    It's a lot easier to sign talented players who can create turnovers when you have an additional $20-30 million at your disposal..which is why the rookie contract theory holds water. $70 million isn't much in the grand scheme of things; we're not even top 5 in the NFL with that number. Those defenses you're referring to would never have been assembled and maintained without that extra cap space.

How is having an additional $20 million meaningless? If it's meaningless, then you'd be fine operating on a $180 million cap while the rest of the league operates on a $200 million cap? An extra $20 million in cap space translates to being able to sign three starting linebackers each being paid $7 million, or two defensive ends being paid $10 million, or Marcus Peters and an extra $5 million to spend on an OLB. $20 million translates to signing the best CB in the NFL, or the best DE in the NFL, positions of great value.
    You cannot build a playoff team through free agency. Reggie tried that and it failed. You have cap space to sign players, that you draft to extensions that will be part of the future of the team. ANd the Bills made the playoffs in 2017, 1 year before they drafted Josh Allen. If you need to sign that many players in free agency, the GM has not been doing their job at drafting players. When that happens the team stinks. Ask Reggie. Lets really look at what 20 million gets you: Sean Smith, Curtis Lofton and Malcolm Smith. Thanks for the 20 million, well worth it. Your plan sounds great. It worked last time, lets do it again. The best corner or DE never hit free ageny. Your plan is flawed. Or we can just look back to last year. 20 million gets you. Tyrell Williams and Lamarcus Joyner. Success is in the air.
    Last edited by psly2124; 01-18-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    How do you not draw similarities between, the trade? You want to give up 8 picks. All picks in the 1st 2nd and 3rd round. If you can't see the similarties between them you need to put on glasses. Do you see where the Saints picked the following year after the trade? They picked 2nd. Coincidence
    I may need glasses, but you need to go repeat middle school man. It's SIMPLE MATH, and simple ENGLISH, nothing else. Why is the draft value scale so difficult for you to grasp?

Read the post again, and again if you have to. The value of the 2nd overall pick which the Saints gave up in their trade to draft Williams, is worth as much as almost all of the picks I mentioned in the Burrow trade COMBINED. This isn't my opinion, this is a simple fact. If you don't agree with the points system, then write to the NFL Draft Network and ask them to change it.

Moreover, in this trade the Raiders would have to trade for the 1st overall pick, NOT the 5th overall pick.

You're stuck on this "8 picks" BS which leads me to further believe that you don't get it. Are 8 picks in the 7th round worth the same as 8 picks in the 1st round? Use some common sense man. I try and use bold/red for important things so you don't miss them, but apparently you still do.

Saints traded:

1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)[14] 1200 points
    1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)[14] 235 points
    1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)[15] 80 points
    1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)[16] 34 points
    1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)[15] 20 points
    1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)[15] 4 points
    2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)[13] 2600 points
    2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)[13] 270 points

TOTAL POINTS SENT: 4443

Even if we discount the 2nd overall pick's value because it was a future pick, and cut it in half, the total points sent would still be 3143

Saints received:

1999 first round pick (5th overall, Ricky Williams)[13] 1700 points

TOTAL POINTS RECEIVED: 1700

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the trade I mentioned, we'd have sent the Bengals about 2800 points w/NO FUTURE PICKS

The Bengals would have sent us the 1st overall pick = 3000 points

So again Sylvester, come at me with insults, and I'll put you in your place every fucking time with logic backed by facts even if you try and misquote me. You know why that is? Because I know quite a bit about you, and it's just so damn easy given your innate lack of IQ, EQ, and everything else that matters in life (a decent job, a significant other, a family, a mortgage or a property title, a college education, a decent line of credit, the list goes on)..

Why don't you for once just try and speak with people without the name-calling? Have you ever tried that? It's what real men do..Every board you post on, every blog you comment on, it's just hate, anger, insults, insecurity, a lack of confidence .. I'd understand if you were defending yourself, but you're always the one throwing the first blow..ALWAYS

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...rade_value.htm
    Last edited by DoctorRaider; 01-18-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Bills weren't, Texans weren't, Ravens weren't a playoff team the year before Jackson was drafted
    It wouldn't let me reply to your last post. Did the bills make the playoffs the year before they drafted josh Allen. Yes. So they were a playoff team. Did the Texans win the division in back to back years before they drafted Watson. YES, they were a playoff team. Where did I name cal you? Where did I insult you? If your wrong about something and someone points that out. Is that now an insult? If anyone is insulting someone it's you. You don't know anything about me. You don't know where I graduated from college. You don't know what my degree is in. You don't know my relationships or my family. Where I live or my financial status? Or my IQ. You are the one throwing insults. As for the Saints trade. You keep using the value chart. Yes the Saints picked #2 the following year. Why is that, because they gave up half of what the Raiders would be giving up. A future first round pick is valued at the time of the trade, as the last pick in that round. And the trade chart is old, the one that is used was before free agency and before the slotted contracts. It was devised by Jimmy Johnson in the late 80's. A new one hasn't been put on the internet. I could be wrong, maybe it has. It's possible the #1 pick could be valued higher now. And lower picks also might be valued more as well. Because of the fifth year option. A lot has changed since that chart came out.
    Last edited by psly2124; 01-18-2020 at 02:52 PM.

I read an article about what it would take for the Bengals to bite..

" -Both first-round picks

-The three previously existing third-round picks (80, 81, and 91)

-Tampa Bay's second-round pick (trade Derek Carr for TB's second round pick)

-The fifth-round pick for Gabe Jackson

-New England's third-round pick for Kolton Miller
    So Cincy is giving up Burrow for 12, 19, 80, 81, 91, + a 2nd, 3rd and 5th ?

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Two mid round firsts, a 2nd, four 3rds and a 5th ??

Might add up point wise, but the reality is Burrow is still worth more.

Fuck, look at what the Rams gave up to get Goff and what the Eagles gave up to get Wentz. Neither of those QBs were ranked remotely as highly as Burrow.

Can't just arbitrarily assign a point value to the 1st pick as that value will vary greatly depending on whether a Burrow is available versus a Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray.
    Not all first overall picks are created equally or have identical value.

The only way Burrow is attainable through a trade id if you're willing to giving up at least four first round picks and/or if he refuses to sign with the Bungles and pulls an Eli on them.

Forget about it.

On the other hand, moving up to 3 or 4 to land Tua is doable and something the Raiders should be looking into.

Get a franchise QB. Trade Pussyboy and use the draft and FA to build the defense and add a WR....and we're on the way.

All in on TUA !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    So Cincy is giving up Burrow for 12, 19, 80, 81, 91, + a 2nd, 3rd and 5th ?

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Two mid round firsts, a 2nd, four 3rds and a 5th ??

Might add up point wise, but the reality is Burrow is still worth more.

Fuck, look at what the Rams gave up to get Goff and what the Eagles gave up to get Wentz. Neither of those QBs were ranked remotely as highly as Burrow.

Can't just arbitrarily assign a point value to the 1st pick as that value will vary greatly depending on whether a Burrow is available versus a Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray.
    Not all first overall picks are created equally or have identical value.

The only way Burrow is attainable through a trade id if you're willing to giving up at least four first round picks and/or if he refuses to sign with the Bungles and pulls an Eli on them.

Forget about it.

On the other hand, moving up to 3 or 4 to land Tua is doable and something the Raiders should be looking into.

Get a franchise QB. Trade Pussyboy and use the draft and FA to build the defense and add a WR....and we're on the way.

All in on TUA !!!!
    pass on tua,pass on burrow use the picks and build your team,go to the playoffs

Cincy has already pretty much declared they aren't moving at all from that pick. Hopefully they take Burrow and it becomes their problem finding out the guy can't throw intermediately to the sidelines (a crucial NFL throw).
    December 2019 -
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    If Carr plays 2 seasons in Vegas, I will leave the board. If Carr doesn't last 2 seasons in Vegas, you leave. How about that?
    Accepted.
    One stipulation on the bet. If Gruden quits or he's fired. I don't see that happening. But if a new coach came in Carr would not be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Fair enough on a coaching change altering the situation. Bet is canceled if a coaching change happens during those 2 seasons.
    The countdown begins

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    pass on tua,pass on burrow use the picks and build your team,go to the playoffs
    This. Grab the best player at a position of need and go from there.

We have glaring holes at multiple positions—if there is a no-brainer pick at QB staring us in the face then grab him, otherwise get what we really need: WR, LB, maybe CB.

Tua will be the BPA at the position of greatest need....QB.

Move up and get him.

Can't emphasize enough that we're spinning our wheels until we get our franchise QB, and that we can get our guy and ALSO improve the rest of the roster.

How this became an 'either or' situation in the minds of Raider fans is baffling.

Getting a franchise QB and revamping the rest of the roster are NOT mutually exclusive. Sheeeeesh.