Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders' all-decade team

Raiders' all-decade team

ESPN just release the Raiders All Decade spot....

https://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-ra...ll-decade-team

Do not know why the Raiders did not wrap up NaVorro Bowman for few more years...we get a good middle linebacker and then let him float away

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    Do not know why the Raiders did not wrap up NaVorro Bowman for few more years...we get a good middle linebacker and then let him float away
    McKenzie and DelRio did not believe in LBs. Never drafting one in the top rounds and not spending the money for one are 2 major hints. Bowman received 3 million in Oakland. Guessing he was looking for more to stick around the league, I think Dallas kicked the tires on him as well, but never getting together on a contract. He's been through catastrophic injuries and he knows the risk, so I am sure if his number was not met he was happy to walk away. Niners had Willis and Borland who walked a way a tad bit early, so guessing they have some solid financial managers, growing their NFL paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    McKenzie and DelRio did not believe in LBs. Never drafting one in the top rounds and not spending the money for one are 2 major hints.
    And for the most part, AL was the same way, right ? Can only remember AL drafting 2 LBs in the first round in like 30 years. Traded for Hendricks, but that's about it.

I think it's a philosophical thing, and I can't honestly say it's entirely wrong. My thinking is defensive linemen, corners and safeties are more important than linebackers.

How many linebackers have had huge impacts on defense in the modern era ?

Ray Lewis. Who else ? Think about it. The list is small.

On the other hand, there's been tons of DL and even corners that have had greater impacts.

AL seemed to like to build a defense from back to front -- that is to say, always have some shutdown corners and then pass rushing linemen. Was always drafting corners and they had to be super fast. Always looking for DEs that could bring the heat.

LBs have never been a priority.

IMO, AL went overboard to the point of almost completely ignoring the LB position, but I can't honestly disagree with his philosophy that corners and linemen are more important in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    And for the most part, AL was the same way, right ? Can only remember AL drafting 2 LBs in the first round in like 30 years. Traded for Hendricks, but that's about it.

I think it's a philosophical thing, and I can't honestly say it's entirely wrong. My thinking is defensive linemen, corners and safeties are more important than linebackers.

How many linebackers have had huge impacts on defense in the modern era ?

Ray Lewis. Who else ? Think about it. The list is small.

On the other hand, there's been tons of DL and even corners that have had greater impacts.

AL seemed to like to build a defense from back to front -- that is to say, always have some shutdown corners and then pass rushing linemen. Was always drafting corners and they had to be super fast. Always looking for DEs that could bring the heat.

LBs have never been a priority.

IMO, AL went overboard to the point of almost completely ignoring the LB position, but I can't honestly disagree with his philosophy that corners and linemen are more important in the grand scheme of things.
    Well Al landed Hendricks for 2 first rounders, Rod Martin was a 12th rounder and Matt Millen was a 2nd rounder. Rob Fredrickson was the Al's first LB selected in the first round ....that happened in 1994. Very true, Al and later Reggie didn't value the LB position. Well when the cupboard is bare on the line and corners, certainly you'd address those first and we did that in 2019 with Ferrell, Mullen and Crosby. Now with those filled a bit....we should be able to get an LB or 2 in the first 3 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Well Al landed Hendricks for 2 first rounders, Rod Martin was a 12th rounder and Matt Millen was a 2nd rounder. Rob Fredrickson was the Al's first LB selected in the first round ....that happened in 1994. Very true, Al and later Reggie didn't value the LB position. Well when the cupboard is bare on the line and corners, certainly you'd address those first and we did that in 2019 with Ferrell, Mullen and Crosby. Now with those filled a bit....we should be able to get an LB or 2 in the first 3 rounds.
    Right. Rob Fredrickson. And there was also the guy whose name escapes me now that we drafted with one of the firsts we got in the Gruden trade.

We've never had a great LB besides Hendricks and he looked more like a DE and freelanced like crazy.

One underrated LB that we had that's rarely mentioned was Monte Johnson, and he certainly wasn't great.

Honestly, even when the Raiders were great, we never had a truly dominating defense.

Some very good ones, but they were always built around great corner play and a formidable pass rush.

Right. Rob Fredrickson. And there was also the guy whose name escapes me now that we drafted with one of the firsts we got in the Gruden trade.

We've never had a great LB besides Hendricks and he looked more like a DE and freelanced like crazy.

One underrated LB that we had that's rarely mentioned was Monte Johnson, and he certainly wasn't great.

Honestly, even when the Raiders were great, we never had a truly dominating defense.

Some very good ones, but they were always built around great corner play and a formidable pass rush.
    Gosh who is that kid, Napolean, he took over for Biekert.

Yeah, Nap something. Tore some cartiledge in his knee right off the bat and never panned out. Getting old, can't remember names like I used to.

So in about 40 years we've drafted a total of 2 LBs in the first, and 1 in the second round. That's pretty amazing.

So in about 40 years we've drafted a total of 2 LBs in the first, and 1 in the second round. That's pretty amazing.
    Off the top of my head, 3 in the first Napolean, Fredrickson and RoMcClain.