Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders Penalized At Double Sometimes Triple The League Rate On Subjective Call

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Raiders Penalized At Double Sometimes Triple The League Rate On Subjective Call

Interesting stuff, but keep in mind that since the calls that are being questioned are admittedly 'subjective', it's impossible to prove 'bias' on that basis alone.

That being said, I think most casual observers will agree that the Raiders consistently get fucked by the zebras. Over the years, way more than any other team.

Also of note, whatever team the Raiders are playing on any particular week suddenly becomes almost penalty free.

A team that is averaging 8 penalties per game is likely to average 4 penalties per game when playing the Raiders.

We get flagged for twice the amount of penalties, while our opponent that week sees their average go down by 50%.

This almost surely can not be an anomaly or coincidental.

In other words, we're getting fucked two ways without a single reach-around.

What else is new ?

Its Derek Carr's fault

Can't say I'm surprised. Have always believed there is a set of rules for us. Most teams will be 50/50 on subjective calls. Teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and even Denver at times seem to always get a call when they need it most to either extend a drive or take away a big play. With the Raiders it always seems like if they can throw a penalty, they will. I even believe refs will "make up" for bad calls and call/not call a subjective call the way of the team they screwed earlier. Meanwhile the Raiders don't get a defensive PI on 3rd and 10 when our receiver gets mugged and then on the next drive, the Raiders get tacky defensive holding penalties extending the other teams drive.

One thing that is not subjective is that it has to be a statistical impossibility that the Raiders are at or near the top in penalities year in and year out, coach after coach, players after players....that is where this is clearly obvious even to an outside viewer
    Last edited by Ra1derfan53; 01-09-2020 at 05:38 AM.

refs/zebras and new york costed us 3 games this yr,could have been a 10 win team !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    refs/zebras and new york costed us 3 games this yr,could have been a 10 win team !!!
    Sad but true. I think the only way this gets fixed is if Mark Davis and the team become flush with cash and a major draw for the NFL (stadium is going to help big time), then they will start giving us the VIP treatment like the Fatriots and others receive. In the end, it's all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post
    Sad but true. I think the only way this gets fixed is if Mark Davis and the team become flush with cash and a major draw for the NFL (stadium is going to help big time), then they will start giving us the VIP treatment like the Fatriots and others receive. In the end, it's all about the money.
    Start winning. Teams that get the benefit of the doubt are winning franchises. Teams that are terrible for years like the Browns, Bengals and Raiders. Don't get the calls. Teams that are in the playoff hunt will get a call or two over a team that has 3 or 4 wins. It's how it works.

Statistically speaking

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNationPaul68 View Post
    For the Raiders to lead the league in penalties (or top 5%) nearly every year

To receive double or triple the number of "subjective" calls against them

Without there being a systemic, league bias against the Raiders

Is statistically likely about the same as
    Winning the lottery
    Being struck by lightning
    and
    Being bitten by a great white shark

All on the same day

My thought for several years now is for the Raiders and their fans to file a class action suit against the NFL and its officiating. Would we win? Maybe, maybe not. But a trial would likely show considerable bias that statistically would be very difficult for the NFL to explain, especially since it has occurred over a number of years. This is not a statistical anomaly.

We'd definitely lose the suit. Would be hilarious if we filed one anyway.

In another article written by the same author, he mentions that some Jet fans actually did file a suit against the NFL claiming bias against them.

Don't remember if it was thrown out of court or they lost the case but there was no judgement made against the NFL.

Pretty sure the court found that NFL games are to be viewed for 'entertainment' purposes and that even if bias is proven to exist it is not punishable by law.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED ?

If I were an attorney

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    We'd definitely lose the suit. Would be hilarious if we filed one anyway.

In another article written by the same author, he mentions that some Jet fans actually did file a suit against the NFL claiming bias against them.

Don't remember if it was thrown out of court or they lost the case but there was no judgement made against the NFL.

Pretty sure the court found that NFL games are to be viewed for 'entertainment' purposes and that even if bias is proven to exist it is not punishable by law.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED ?
    and a fan of the Raiders, I would take on this case at no cost. Even if we didn't win, we would be making the NFL watch its officiating more closely.

Can you see a video of Hunter Renfrow being held all of the way down the field on the third down challenge that wasn't overturned, then see the NFL try to explain how in the world Trayvon Mullen was called for PI and the interception was overturned later in the year against KC?

Or show a replay of the game-winning TD by Deshaun Watson, but also show a closeup of Maxx Crosby being held around the neck with the ref staring right at it?

Or the NFL explaining how the roughing the passer call on Maurice Hurst was called, but the slam to the throat of Carr by the Vikings wasn't called? Or how Hurst was called for roughing the passer, but the roughing on Carson Wentz wasn't called last weekend for a more violent hit?

Or how the NFL couldn't use replay to stop the clock in the Jags game?

Or how Riley was called for offsides when he was not offsides in the Jags game?

If nothing else, it would be an embarrassment to the NFL and make them consider modifying their replay rules to ensure the game is called fairly and equitably. Maybe, just maybe, it would result in our getting a fair shake when it comes to officiating.

Or have the NFL explain how Alec Ingold wasn't awarded a touchdown even though one replay showed the ball in both of his hands and the ball extended, with another replay showing his hands across the goal line and even his chest breaking the plane, which means the ball had to be between his hands and his chest -- if you use any common sense whatsoever?

I've been a fan since 67 and it never ends. Remember the game against San Diego in which the SD receiver fell to the ground, without being touched, got up, spun the ball on the ground? We recovered and the call was an illegal forward pass with SD retaining possession. It never ends. Year in year out.

And the Tuck Game. Don't even get me started on that one.