Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: MVR's - Most Valuable Raiders

  1. #1

    MVR's - Most Valuable Raiders

    We're now sitting at 5-4. This team has a winning record -- and a good opportunity to make the playoffs -- for the first time since 2016. What has been the difference, the Raiders who have elevated this team beyond the terrible seasons of 2017 and 2018 into playoff contention this year?

    I see five in particular who have made the difference:

    1) Trent Brown
    Trent Brown is a beast. Yes, he's missed some playing time, but he has protected Derek Carr and opened up running lanes. Plus, he has instilled a nastiness along the offensive line that has been missing in recent seasons. He reminds me a lot of Bob "Boomer" Brown, the huge OT who manned the right side for the Raiders in the early 1970s after coming over from Philadelphia. Boomer is in the Hall of Fame, and deservedly so. Trent is an immediate upgrade in pass protection and the running game.

    2) Josh Jacobs
    Jacobs should be offensive rookie of the year. He runs hard, protects the ball and seems to be "money" when the game is on the line. He makes defenders miss and can outrun them for long gains. Throughout most of the San Diego game, Jacobs was stopped for small gains, before we needed a great run the most. He ran it in from almost the 20 and then put the game away with two runs for a first down when the Raiders got the ball back and needed to run out the clock. How good is Jacobs? He has surpassed both Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson in the number of yards gained at this point in their rookie seasons.

    3) Richie Icognito
    Talk about nasty. We have Brown serving up nasty on the right side and Icognito doing the same on the left side. I have to think that he's also elevated the game of Kolton Miller with his leadership. Why has Derek Carr been able to lead the Raiders to come from behind victories the past two games? Because we've been able to run the ball and pass protection has been phenomenal. Icognito and Trent Brown are the driving force behind the improvement in our offensive line.

    4) Maxx Crosby
    What a rookie. He is 100% effort on every play. We didn't have a pass rush last year and didn't look good for most of the season, until Crosby began coming on. Against San Diego, Crosby only had .5 sacks, but he had 10 QUARTERBACK PRESSURES, two of which contributed to interceptions. This kid, if he gets a little stronger, can be an absolute beast on the d line. Think a combination of Ted Hendricks and Jared Allen.

    5) Derek Carr
    Derek Carr is completing over 70% of his passes, a career high. He's also led two come-from-behind drives to help us win the last two games. I think of myself as a Carr "realist" as I realize his limitations and mistakes, but I also see that he is playing better, partly because he knows Gruden's system better in the second year, but also because he has had a very clean pocket for most of every game. I hope Carr continues to improve, shows a little more pocket awareness and begins to return to the fearlessness that was the hallmark of his 2016 season.

    Honorable mention: Karl Joseph
    Sadly, Joseph is out for the rest of the season after two of his best games as a Raider. He made a great defensive stop to win the game against Detroit, then followed it up with a game-reserving interception against San Diego.

  2. #2
    1.josh jacobs
    2. derek carr
    3.kolton miller
    4.trent

  3. #3
    I have to say Kolton Miller; he protecting Carr blind side and if Carr not rattle, then Carr plays a better game....

    Matt Crosby has also been very good....now if he was drafted at number 4 we be saying what a great pick that was....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    I have to say Kolton Miller; he protecting Carr blind side and if Carr not rattle, then Carr plays a better game....

    Matt Crosby has also been very good....now if he was drafted at number 4 we be saying what a great pick that was....
    naw the resident experts would be stuck on him being a reach and not putting up numbers like his peers !!!

  5. #5
    1. John Gruden (enough said)
    2. Tom Cable (entire o-line is playing well)
    3. Josh Jacobs (best player on the team)
    4. Darren Waller (if he went down, we'd be in trouble)
    5a. Johnathan Hankins (leads entire defense in total snaps, he's been consistent)
    5b. Derek Carr (he's been a solid game manager after a few shaky games)

  6. #6
    To me, the most valuable player is the one who would be most missed if he were lost. Brown, Jacobs, Incognito, Crosby, and just about every other player has someone who occasionally filled in for them. Who has filled in for Carr? I'm not really too comfortable with our backup QBs.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    To me, the most valuable player is the one who would be most missed if he were lost. Brown, Jacobs, Incognito, Crosby, and just about every other player has someone who occasionally filled in for them. Who has filled in for Carr? I'm not really too comfortable with our backup QBs.
    How dare you give a compliment to Carr. Raider fans on this board will not be happy with you because they don't consider him "elite" enough for their liking. A "game manager" can't be considered the most important player on the team that is blasphemy in the eyes of the Carr haters. Get ready for the backlash.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    How dare you give a compliment to Carr. Raider fans on this board will not be happy with you because they don't consider him "elite" enough for their liking. A "game manager" can't be considered the most important player on the team that is blasphemy in the eyes of the Carr haters. Get ready for the backlash.
    Most valuable does not always mean the best. To me it means the player who is most valuable to the success of the team. Whatever anyone thinks of Carr, I think the team is finished if he goes down. Anyone want to make a case on how our backup QBs are better?
    Last edited by Johnkr; 11-11-2019 at 05:14 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    Most valuable does not always mean the best. To me it means the player who is most valuable to the success of the team. Whatever anyone thinks of Carr, I think the team is finished if he goes down. Anyone want to make a case on how our backup QBs are better? Most valuable does not always mean the best. To me it means the player who is most valuable to the success of the team.
    if we made carr available we would have at least 10 teams knocking down our doors for his services

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    I have to say Kolton Miller; he protecting Carr blind side and if Carr not rattle, then Carr plays a better game....

    Matt Crosby has also been very good....now if he was drafted at number 4 we be saying what a great pick that was....
    Miller has played very well and is now one of the best pass blocking left tackles in the league. I also love his athleticism -- the ability to get out even on defensive backs on quick passes to WRs. He's one of the league's best in terms of overall athleticism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •