Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone concerned about the amount of carries Jacob's has accumulated?

Anyone concerned about the amount of carries Jacob's has accumulated?

At one point last night Aikman said he had 152 carries. That's on pace for over 300 carries as a rookie. Looking at the rest of this season and even further. Does Gruden begin limiting or at least monitoring his carries and looking even further down the road. For the sake of his longevity. Do we look at getting another back that isn't a third down back like Washington? Not saying use a 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd rounder on a RB. But we need to get some quality depth here or Jacob's is going to be beat to hell quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Raider View Post
    At one point last night Aikman said he had 152 carries. That's on pace for over 300 carries as a rookie. Looking at the rest of this season and even further. Does Gruden begin limiting or at least monitoring his carries and looking even further down the road. For the sake of his longevity. Do we look at getting another back that isn't a third down back like Washington? Not saying use a 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd rounder on a RB. But we need to get some quality depth here or Jacob's is going to be beat to hell quick.
    well richard may get more play and certainly washington can add a few more carries as well,im not concerned with the workload kids built for it imo

My initial thinking is that we need him to control the clock, when we get a blowouts that should reduce his load, but if a game is in question, he will get a solid work load. Seeing a bit more of Richard on 3rd downs. Gruden understands, so he had Washington in for a full series against Detroit. But sometimes you just have to go to your bread and butter. We've also brought in a couple backs for a look, word was they weren't in shape.

Yes, I'm concerned and the Raiders should be too.

Josh is a real talent. He's also not that big and has a pretty violent running style.

Don't want to burn him out. Saw him interviewed after the win last night and he said he 'didn't even feel like he played a game'. He's just a kid now and can take it. Wasn't overused at Bama. But there's little doubt in my mind that the Raiders need to secure another back that has some size and can motor to share the load moving forward. That's not a knock on Richard and Washington either, just a frank assessment of what's best for Josh and the Raiders.

While it has been criticized by some, I think the Raiders have done a good job of resting Jacobs during games. He was only a part-time back in college so this is new for him. Still think we need to pickup a change of pace back in the offseason. A bigger back that can come in at the end of the 3rd quarter and wear out defenses...

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    While it has been criticized by some, I think the Raiders have done a good job of resting Jacobs during games. He was only a part-time back in college so this is new for him. Still think we need to pickup a change of pace back in the offseason. A bigger back that can come in at the end of the 3rd quarter and wear out defenses...
    i would add cj anderson dudes a load and dangerous behind a good oline

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Derrick Henry's a free agent.......

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    i would add cj anderson dudes a load and dangerous behind a good oline
    We had him in about 2-3 weeks ago for a workout, reportedly out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Derrick Henry's a free agent.......
    Henry and Jacobs behind our Oline should scare the shit out of a few defenses.

That would be some Bama combo in the Raider backfield.

The way Jacobs was jumping around working the fans last night, I'd say he is very healthy. Hopefully, the team can rest him for a good chunk of the next two games.