Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I was told

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    I used to chime in on this subject. Now, I just read it for entertainment. Carr isn’t going anywhere. He’s going to continue to improve, and he’s going to be around for awhile. All of the qb coaches and gurus on the forum here are obviously going to be disappointed, but there won’t be a drafted one, or a big trade for one anytime soon. Kinda weird, cuz there’s several coaches on here that can spell out all of his totally obvious shortcomings and already KNOW he’s awful
    I wouldn't bet my life on that. I believe that if they were to finish .500 or less this year i think there could be a scenario where he could be traded.

I still believe that he is inconsistent. The pass to Zay Jones in the 2nd qtr that sailed over his head when he was wide open on a third and long just can't happen in this league. Those are momentum changers and it's happened several times this year.

The pass to Williams in the endzone that sailed out of bounds should have been in the corner of the endzone where williams would have at least had a chance to make the catch, not saying that he would have but the ball at least needs to be there.

The pass again to waller where he had to pull up was under thrown and and a floater he needs to hit receivers in stride, he did the same thing to waller in the GB game, but on that drive instead of a Waller TD Carr fumbled to kill the drive.

He can make the great play his inconsistency needs to change.

Bring it!

"I remember a story Phil Villapiano told me when I interviewed him. Al Davis called him into his office in the spring of 1980 and asked Phil what he thought about the Raiders getting Bills' receiver Bobby Chandler. Al asked Phil if he thought Chandler would be a good fit with the Raiders, if he had talent to take over for Fred Biletnikoff as the team's possession receiver and if Chandler would be a great teammate.

Phil told Al that if there was any way the Raiders could get Chandler, they should do it, that he might have been good enough to put the Raiders back onto their winning ways.

Al then informed Phil that he had been traded to Buffalo. For Chandler.

He then told Phil that he determined that Phil would not be able to make the 1980 team, that the younger players were doing to win the roster spots. He told Phil that playing in Buffalo would help him extend his career a couple of years, helping him get a better retirement pension.

True story."
    =========================

That's hilarious, RM41. AL was one of a kind.

Villapiano was quite the character too. Guess he knew AL was right and didn't take the trade personally as Phil still loves the Raiders.

Seemed like Phil would have a mysterious arm injury every year which would require him to wear a partial cast that he used to his advantage. He was really hurt...wink wink.

Man, the stuff we'd pull to gain any advantage. League would do a uniform and equipment check 5 minutes before game time. Those 5 minutes after the check but before the kickoff were well spent doing additional 'preparations'. Had some really excellent trainers back then.

Still love the Raiders and NFL football but those years (the 70's) will never be matched for their sheer intensity and drama. IMO, the absolute pinnacle of professional football and American sports.

BATTER THE BUNGLES
    Last edited by RAIDERMAN818; 11-08-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    No I did not start watching the Raiders this year. And when you try to make an argument, get it factually correct. Where did I say that Stabler felt pressure in "game" situation. I didn't say that one time. I said he felt pressure by the fans and media to win a super bowl. When fans and the media feel and know you have the best team and you don't win the super bowl, they create pressure to win. So if I'm going to make an argument like you do. I will say that you said fans enjoy losing championship games year in and year out. When teams lose championship games and don't win the super bowl. Fans don't care. Fans would rather not get to the super bowl. That's the goal of the season. You see how stupid that sounds. I'm fully aware of the career of Kenny Stabler. Fully aware of how he quit on the team because he didn't get a chance to play. Stabler was an MVP before the super bowl so know he was good. Also before the 76 season, he almost went to the WFL. And quit on his team a 2nd time. Many fans loved Stabler and he could do no wrong, some fans hated him. Al Davis was never a fan. Didn't like his short passing game and didn't like him. They didn't talk for years when he was with the Raiders and decades after he left the Raiders. People on this board think elite players never lose games or throw interceptions. Can someone be "elite" without winning a super bowl? Stabler didn't before 76. Were fans calling him elite before the 76 season. That I can say for sure no one was. WHy because not one fan used the word "elite" in the 70's. Do elite players get into the Hall of Fame 30 years after they retire? Thats up for debate too.
    But you are a complete idiot. I wonÂ’t respond to you anymore. Just not worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    But you are a complete idiot. I wonÂ’t respond to you anymore. Just not worth the time.
    You are a scumbag. Do you want a prize or something

Quote Originally Posted by Oakr8der View Post
    I wouldn't bet my life on that. I believe that if they were to finish .500 or less this year i think there could be a scenario where he could be traded.

I still believe that he is inconsistent. The pass to Zay Jones in the 2nd qtr that sailed over his head when he was wide open on a third and long just can't happen in this league. Those are momentum changers and it's happened several times this year.

The pass to Williams in the endzone that sailed out of bounds should have been in the corner of the endzone where williams would have at least had a chance to make the catch, not saying that he would have but the ball at least needs to be there.

The pass again to waller where he had to pull up was under thrown and and a floater he needs to hit receivers in stride, he did the same thing to waller in the GB game, but on that drive instead of a Waller TD Carr fumbled to kill the drive.

Bring it!
    Do you think every QB in the NFL throws a perfect pass every time? You are expecting perfection in a position where that doesn't happen. If a QB was accurate with every pass, the team will never lose a game and a QB will never throw an interception. Many factors happen when a QB drops back. 300 pound animals are trying to take the QB's head off. Sometime receivers run wrong routes, lineman miss blocks. Sometimes QB's miss passes. Every single one does it, in every game. You think he is inconsistent because he has to play an almost flawless game for the Raiders to win. If he misses 1 pass, the margin of error is so small when it comes to arr that it could cost the team the game. No QB in the history of the league can live up to the expectations some have of what a QB should play like.

Bring it!
    Careful. You're about to be labeled a Carr hating douche. Good thing you didn't mention that DC could have walked into the endzone on the missed 3rd and goal to Williams. Don't want to cause a ruckus.

Carr didn't play a great game last night. He made several nice plays and took care of the rock. Came through when it counted most at the end of the half and most importantly, the game winning drive.

Still, there were too many missed opportunities and I absolutely agree with you about not betting your life regarding Carr's future as the unquestioned Raider QB moving forward.

Personally, I'm happy with DC's performance this year. Pretty sure Gruden is too. But anyone that thinks Gruden and Mayock are forever wed to DC needs to think again.

Carr has definitely upped his game from the previous couple of years, his efforts to extend plays is a major factor for us winning some games. Even more so is the play of Jacobs and the O-line that has sparked this offense and allowed Carr to have more options and valuable time. From reading all the previous chats above I would also agree that Carr's tenure here is not a guarantee, especially with someone like Gruden at the helm, but with Carr's play as of late, I would think he has given Gruden's wandering eyes a rest for now. Carr's biggest drawback is his decision making, whether that means grounding the ball on 4th down, throwing into triple coverage, etc... Carr doesn't have to be "elite", unless we play the patriots or maybe the 49ers. I think the team is good enough now to get by on Carr just not making serious mistakes (ie., interceptions, taking a sack for a huge loss, fumbling, etc...). If Carr can just play controlled ball and every once in a while take the necessary long ball to keep defenses honest, we can be in every game. We're in the "easy" part of the schedule now, this is where the good teams win the games they are supposed to win and take those games that they shouldn't. The defense won the Chargers game for us, especially the front four and E. Harris, we need the defense to be just as scrappy or more for us to make a good playoff run. If the front four can play like that against the pass in the rest of the games, we should be alright. RAIDER NATION!

Bring it!
    Are you talking about Carr? Or Philip Rivers? Or Tom Brady? Or any of the other 31 QBs in the league that have over thrown a receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Do you think every QB in the NFL throws a perfect pass every time? You are expecting perfection in a position where that doesn't happen. If a QB was accurate with every pass, the team will never lose a game and a QB will never throw an interception. Many factors happen when a QB drops back. 300 pound animals are trying to take the QB's head off. Sometime receivers run wrong routes, lineman miss blocks. Sometimes QB's miss passes. Every single one does it, in every game. You think he is inconsistent because he has to play an almost flawless game for the Raiders to win. If he misses 1 pass, the margin of error is so small when it comes to arr that it could cost the team the game. No QB in the history of the league can live up to the expectations some have of what a QB should play like.
    No i expect an NFL QB who makes 25 million per year to hit a receiver that is wide open 20 yards down field. Go back and look at the replay, there was no one bearing down on him he flat out missed Zay, he was wide open and that in my opinion is unacceptable.

Don't tell me what i think, you have no idea what my position is on him, i don't look for perfection from any player, if you are happy with him that is fine, i just believe that there are plays in a game that BIG TIME QBs have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by RickRyb View Post
    Are you talking about Carr? Or Philip Rivers? Or Tom Brady? Or any of the other 31 QBs in the league that have over thrown a receiver?
    I won't even touch that one, you are mentioning Carr in the same breath as Brady? are you kidding me? Even Rivers for that matter, Carr is a good QB but he is certainly no in their class.

You like him, i think he is good, for 25 mill per year he should be great and he's not a great QB, again just my opinion.