Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This roster is GREATLY improved

This roster is GREATLY improved

I have to say that based on preseason results so far, this roster from the top to bottom has been improved greatly.

From the offensive line to wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker and the defensive backfield, this team has quality players at the starting positions, as well as backups.

Think about it:

Our QBs were 21 of 24 with three TD passes. When was the last time our starter and backups had a performance anything like that?

We lost Gabe Jackson for a few weeks at RG, but the offensive line hasn't skipped a beat. At RT we have struggled for years, but now this position is in the solid hands of Trent Brown.

At WR, I can easily see five or six receivers who could start for many teams in the league, with our top two, Brown and Williams arguably among the league's top duos at least on paper to start the season.

At TE, we have three quality TEs at this point, including a rookie who will get even better.

On the defensive line, we have at least six or seven players I could see playing in a quality rotation. In fact, Eddie Vanderdoes might not even make the team because of the upgrade in talent on this year's team.

At linebacker, we added Burfict and Marshall, two solid pros who will make this team a lot better. Add in the youngsters and we have the makings of a solid defensive line that can stop the run and rush the passer.

Speaking of the pass rush, I don't think we have a single dominant player, but see Ferrell, Crosby, Key and Mayowa as a quite a group of guys who can get after the passer. Even Ethan Westbrooks is an upgrade at DT when we're rushing the passer.

Unlike last year, when we scoured over the other teams' castoffs to improve our roster, other teams will be looking to the Raiders' castoffs to add quality players this year.

I think you are correct about Eddie Vanderdoes. He needs to get back on the field.

Yeah it is. Besides the roster being younger and faster, the depth seems to be a lot better too. I can't remember when the WR's or the D-line was so deep in depth.

The way it is right now I don't think Vanderdoes will even make the team. #1 he's not out there #2 He'd have to show a hell of a lot if/when he gets back. I don't see that happening. The DT's are Jelly, Hankins, PJ, Hurst and Westbrooks. Even #63 has shown some good signs.

It's going to be interesting to see who we keep at WR. Brown, Williams, Renfrow and Harris are locks. Harris is too good of a ST player to not make the team. JJ Nelson and Grant have had good camps. Hatcher, Ateman and Doss have had their moments as well. I can see either or multiple of those guys being signed to the practice squad afterward.

Do you any of you think we keep 3 QB's or just go with 2? I can see it either way but if they decide to go with 2 then I see it Carr and Glennon and then Peterman to the practice squad to free up a roster for another position. Plus with Ritchie being suspended for 2 games allows the team to carry another player until he comes back.

Cut down day is going to be interesting.

I dont know why, But I was just never much of a Mack fan, I think Ferrill will make all Raider fans forget about him.

I think Jelly might get dealt. I don't know his cap # or hit if he get's traded but I would say he is on the roster bubble. He isn't better than Hankins and a young guy like Rush might stick and Westbooks has been playing well. I anticipate a trade or two on the Raiders end. With the new training camp cut schedule. A lot of player for player trades will be happening all over the league. Well the better GM's will be making trades.

It pre-season, don’t read too
    much in this.....Cardinals
    were the worst team in the
    nfl last year.....
    Remember Art Shell 4-0
    preseason record and
    look how that turned out...
    Do think team is playing
    good; but if we beat a team
    75-14 in preseason does not
    mean we are going to the
    superbowl

I wasn't so sure last year if Gruden was a good hire but I have to say that I have a lot of confidence in Gruden and Mayock after seeing this years roster. The upgrade to the wide receiver room and the secondary have been amazing. I think we are going to be fun to watch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    It pre-season, don’t read too
    much in this.....Cardinals
    were the worst team in the
    nfl last year.....
    Remember Art Shell 4-0
    preseason record and
    look how that turned out...
    Do think team is playing
    good; but if we beat a team
    75-14 in preseason does not
    mean we are going to the
    superbowl
    The Cardinals are awful. They are terrible on both side of the ball. Our second team offense was dominating their first team defense. Its going to be a long season for the Cardinals. The reason for optimism is that the roster is better from top to bottom. A couple of players the we cut will make 53 man rosters. Thats how you know the depth is better. In years past the players we cut, were out of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    The Cardinals are awful. They are terrible on both side of the ball. Our second team offense was dominating their first team defense. Its going to be a long season for the Cardinals. The reason for optimism is that the roster is better from top to bottom. A couple of players the we cut will make 53 man rosters. Thats how you know the depth is better. In years past the players we cut, were out of the NFL.
    The Packers will be a better challenge. The starters will play more.

My Cuts so far. Subject to change.

Barnes, Barrett, Mack Brown, James Butler, Tevon Coney, Brandon Parker, Dorleant, Gafford, Good, Erik Harris, Hatcher, Holsey, Nick Nelson, Andre James, Isaiah Johnson, Dallen Leavitt, Dylan Mabin, Doug Martin, Justin Murray, Kaisean Nixon, Peterman, Pierson-El, Jordan Richards, Curtis Riley, Keith Smith, Eddie Vanderdoes, Kyle Wilber, Luke Wilson, Jalen Richard, Tyler Roemer, Jordan Richards, Gabe Wright, Trent Sieg.