Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Townsend has been waived

Could be one of the smartest roster moves of the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    i watched cole in pre season and the ball explodes off of his foot vs townsend where the ball floats off of his foot and goes 35 yds if cole didn't have to kick 2 short kicks for field position his avg would have been 50 1st kick went from our 20 to the rams 24 2nd kick went from our 25 to their 15 both yielded only 4 yd total in return yds cause the ball hung up high for a long time allowing our coverage team to get to the returner
    Townsend was known more for placement kicks then booming them, that's probably the difference you saw. It's the right decision, a guy like Marquette King known as a boomer, walks on with us, sits for a year, then bang, he's hitting 70 yarders, and placing kicks inside the 20. Hopefully the placement side is something Cole can learn, he was doing it well Saturday....hoping for consistency.

Looks like Townsend was claimed off of waivers by the Giants. It will be interesting to see how he kicks in the Meadowlands. Isn't it a windier than most stadiums or is that Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland 3:16 View Post
    Looks like Townsend was claimed off of waivers by the Giants. It will be interesting to see how he kicks in the Meadowlands. Isn't it a windier than most stadiums or is that Buffalo?
    wind,snow,rain...conditions are much worse on the east coast

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland 3:16 View Post
    The old Giant stadium was very windy, I don't know about the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    wind,snow,rain...conditions are much worse on the east coast
    Indeed. The Raiders struggles on the East Coast are well documented.

I'll never forget the playoff game vs. Buffalo we lost 56-3.

That hurt so much I still feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Indeed. The Raiders struggles on the East Coast are well documented.

I'll never forget the playoff game vs. Buffalo we lost 56-3.

That hurt so much I still feel it.
    Well it was 51-3 so it couldn't have hurt that bad.

The Giants current punter, Riley Dixon, ranked seventh in the NFL in net yards per punt last season at 42.9. Townsend was 29th in the league with a 38.3-yard net average. It will be an uphill battle for Townsend in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by GuamanianRaider View Post
    Yeah it does.

Quote Originally Posted by GuamanianRaider View Post
    Howie's last game. My memory could be wrong but it seemed like Howie jumped offsides about 5 times that game. And everyone gave them a first down on a third down. Then they scored a TD