Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Punters not inspiring

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    Johnnie was one of the worst NFL punter ive ever seen.. and thats no exaggeration.
    Crazy how we went from King who was very talented but a dickhead, to a talentless nice guy overnight... yeah, im missing King despite his BS antics. Funny how he isnt even in the league right now but was one of the top punters in the league just 3 short years ago. Hmm
    agree,kid was horrible the ball never exploded off of his foot and he was also subpar on height of the kicks and accuracy was not as advertised

Johnnie was one of the worst NFL punter ive ever seen.. and thats no exaggeration.
    Crazy how we went from King who was very talented but a dickhead, to a talentless nice guy overnight... yeah, im missing King despite his BS antics. Funny how he isnt even in the league right now but was one of the top punters in the league just 3 short years ago. Hmm
    I agree, I've been watch football since the 60s and he was the worst I ever saw.

Average punters, you don't even notice, but really good ones and really bad one stand out and Johnie boy was God awful.
    Last edited by rabidraider; 08-21-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    I agree, I've been watch football since the 60s and he was the worst I ever saw.

Average punters, you don't even notice, but really good ones and really bad one stand out and Johnie boy was God awful.
    Makes you wonder what went terribly bad from U of F, to being drafted in the 5th round. You don't draft punters in the 5th round unless they have some serious talent. Was it injury? Nerves? Not taking this as serious as he shouldve? What? You don't go from being good in college to being this bad in the NFL as a punter. You either have it or you don't as far as distance. He had no distance. Was it the NFL football itself? It's just mind boggling. And still not sure why Gruden and the Raiders didn't bench the kid other than draft position. I mean, I get it as far as being a 5th rd pick, and not giving up on him, letting him learn and mature but the Raiders could've done PS and brought in and started a vet to help out the team as well as mentor the young rook at the same time. Instead they started him throughout the year with no competition or better yet, mentoring.

what about signing Ryan Allen, Pats just released him. He balled out during super bowl. AJ Cole stats have been solid so far

Makes you wonder what went terribly bad from U of F, to being drafted in the 5th round. You don't draft punters in the 5th round unless they have some serious talent. Was it injury? Nerves? Not taking this as serious as he shouldve? What? You don't go from being good in college to being this bad in the NFL as a punter. You either have it or you don't as far as distance. He had no distance. Was it the NFL football itself? It's just mind boggling. And still not sure why Gruden and the Raiders didn't bench the kid other than draft position. I mean, I get it as far as being a 5th rd pick, and not giving up on him, letting him learn and mature but the Raiders could've done PS and brought in and started a vet to help out the team as well as mentor the young rook at the same time. Instead they started him throughout the year with no competition or better yet, mentoring.
    I was confused about his lack of ability too. If you can kick well, what prevents you from kicking well all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    I was confused about his lack of ability too. If you can kick well, what prevents you from kicking well all the time.
    I can attempt to explain but maybe a UF fan could validate.

Perhaps the ST scheme they used there was more suitable for him. Maybe he punted "directionaly" well back then because he played more confident.. Then if the ST unit meshes well with his punts, the coverage is good and then the net average was decent. His lack of power Im sure didnt get too exposed.

When he gets in the NFL he often has to punt to ball backed up, the ST unit is not as cohesive (almost all new players last year on coverage) and he loses his confidence.. Then a lot of things go through his head and he is all messed up as a player. All the sudden he doesnt do what got him drafted in the first place.

We will see what he can do on the Giants. Like Gruden said he is a capable punter.. did some good work in the 1st preseason game. If he bounces back in NY I will be happy for him.

When King came in, he was actually on the injured list for a season with us. Lechler left, we brought in Chris Kluwe as comp. King hit a snag and Kluwe fixed it, and King got the job, scored a fat contract etc.....maybe Townsend would have benefitted from having a veteran in camp.

Could have been the ball, NFL have designated "K" balls for the kicking game. These are fresh out of the box direct from the manufacturer. They are considered harder and slicker then the used balls for QBs.