Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American flag raider caps

American flag raider caps

Thought the American flag Raider caps that our first round draftees were given and wearing on draft night were real nice.

Here's my question....

Since the Raiders found it appropriate to put the American flag on the caps along with the Raider logo, should the Raiders require the players that are wearing the Raider uniform on game day to stand for the flag and anthem ?

I think they should. If, as an organization you're going to put the flag on caps, then you should expect the players representing the organization to stand for that flag.

Your thoughts ?

If you stand you dont wear the caps...a true oxymoron lol

Quote Originally Posted by rabidraider View Post
    If you stand you dont wear the caps...a true oxymoron lol
    Hes not saying to wear the caps at the game.

Freedom of speech. If they want to stand or kneel who cares. The entire anthem thing is a stupid distraction. All teams should just stay in the locker rooms like they used to. Just because you didnt stand does not mean you dont love the country and support our troops.

Don't give into the hate folks! Your definition of an American may not be the same as someone elses. But it does not make either of you any less American than the other!

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Raider View Post
    Freedom of speech. If they want to stand or kneel who cares. The entire anthem thing is a stupid distraction. All teams should just stay in the locker rooms like they used to. Just because you didnt stand does not mean you dont love the country and support our troops.

Don't give into the hate folks! Your definition of an American may not be the same as someone elses. But it does not make either of you any less American than the other!
    I'm not buying into this argument.

Requiring players to stand for the flag and anthem is NOT a violation of their right to freedom of speech.

They're still free to speak, or kneel, or wipe their asses with the flag....just not when they're representing the Raiders or the NFL during the playing of the anthem.

As a football fan, but more importantly as an American, I'm offended that these 'kneelers' choose to make a spectacle of themselves by being disrespectful during the anthem. Yes, I know....they think they're just protesting or making a statement and they're not being disrespectful. Well, I think they are being disrespectful. And I'm pretty sure the majority of fans feel the same way.

As for "Don't give into the hate folks", I don't even know what this means.

I guess it's hateful to expect an American to stand for the flag and anthem. Or that it's hateful for the NFL or the NBA or the Raiders to require that you do not 'protest' during the anthem.

Shoot, even if you don't respect America or the flag enough to stand for the anthem....at least show some respect for the fans that are only asking you to curtail your protesting for 2 minutes while WE stand and pay tribute to America.

The Raiders didn't find that appropriate. The NFL made that for them. Also, we don't have any players who sit for the anthem so why are you even still on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    The Raiders didn't find that appropriate. The NFL made that for them. Also, we don't have any players who sit for the anthem so why are you even still on this subject?
    Why am I still on this subject ?

Because the Raiders chose to give their first round draft picks hats that have the American flag and Raider logo on them. The Raiders were making a statement with that. They could have given the draftees hats with just the Raider logo. I'm glad they like to have the Raider logo associated with the American flag. Respect the Raiders. Respect the flag. Nice.

I'm still on this subject because although you might think the Raiders won't have any players sitting or kneeling during the anthem, you don't know that - and there is no team policy or NFL policy that would prevent it.

I'm still on this subject because I think the Raiders should implement a policy that requires their players, coaches and staff to stand for the flag and anthem.

In fact, if I was interviewing a potential draft pick, I'd tell them the Raiders expect players to respectfully stand during the anthem and ask if that's going to be a problem for them.

I'm still on this subject because I can almost guarantee you that it will come up again during the upcoming season.

The hats were supposed to represent something about the city they play in or the team's history. I read the reason for the flag was to stand for "Raider Nation", not necessarily to be taken as an American thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LA R8R View Post
    The hats were supposed to represent something about the city they play in or the team's history. I read the reason for the flag was to stand for "Raider Nation", not necessarily to be taken as an American thing.
    C'mon man, the American flag is not necessarily to be taken as an American thing ?

If the hats were to represent the city they play in, they should have said Oakland Raiders....instead of just the Raider logo and American flag.

This is a cut-up from the press release about the hats:

New Era has long overseen the designs of the official draft-day cap for the NFL, and this year the hat group has integrated local flags of each city into individual team hats. We couldn’t use all city flags because the NFL has a team in Carolina that represents the two states. It became about working with each individual team to identify for them what they really wanted that flag to be or what ties them to their community.
    And one of the last challenges was the Raiders and trying to understand their identity currently in this transition from Oakland to Las Vegas and where they’d be. We went with the neutral.

As a season ticket holder, I can tell you I have often seen some people of color sit during the national anthem since this Kapernick thing started. It personally does not bother me, I just want to win and that is ALL I give a damn about. I do care about players beating their wives or kids or other violent off the field trouble. But for the most part, being disrespectful is not one of them.

And yes, I did serve and still do, working for the USACE now as a civilian.

AFL_Raider