Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happens if the punting does not improve

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Coaches want all their QBs spending all their time on the offense. Given the restrictive nature of practice time...it makes sense.
    Doesn't make that much sense to me. I understand wanting to have your QB's spending as much time as possible running the offense and passing the ball, but it seems to me that some time could be dedicated to working on having a holder that is also capable of throwing the ball. It's not going to happen very often but it's a nice option to have.

Doesn't have to be a QB holder to throw the ball either.

Lechler could really throw the ball. If I'm not mistaken he was 3rd string QB for the Raiders for many years.

I'm getting old and can't say I remember Lechler throwing the ball on a fake FG attempt but I do remember him throwing the ball out of punt formation.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Doesn't make that much sense to me. I understand wanting to have your QB's spending as much time as possible running the offense and passing the ball, but it seems to me that some time could be dedicated to working on having a holder that is also capable of throwing the ball. It's not going to happen very often but it's a nice option to have.

Lechler could really throw the ball. If I'm not mistaken he was 3rd string QB for the Raiders for many years.

I'm getting old and can't say I remember Lechler throwing the ball on a fake FG attempt but I do remember him throwing the ball out of punt formation.

There you go brother;

Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    There you go brother;

This is the one I was going to post

It's the NFL, the NO Fun League, you have numbers restricting your positions, what was it the Patriots lining up lineman different spots on scrimmage and Harbaugh's whining about it. Now you got PATS at the what 15 yard line, rather than the 3.....half the fun is shot there, fake a PAT and pass for a 2 pointer is out the window, now onside kicks are more or less thrown out the window as well. Too many rules. I mean if there is a coach willing to coach outside the box....sure, but the days of Joe Montana holding.....are done.

Can't do Youtube from this POS computer, so I'm unable to view the video of the Lechler fake FG pass. I'm guessing it happened when Hue Jax was coach though ? Most aggressive Raider HC ever.

I'm probably one of the very few Raider fans that still likes Hue Jax. Definitely made his share of bonehead decisions, I can remember him going for a 2 pt conversion when we were up by 3 with a few mins to go in a game --WTF was he thinking ? -- but one thing you could count on with Hue, he was going for the dagger kill every single time. Uber agressive crazy bastard.

John, you're right...takes a coach to think out of the box and be a real risk taker.

Sean Peyton in N.O. will frequently go on 4th or pull a fake. Rams will constantly fake punt. Jeff Fischer has pulled off some great special teams plays too. Bellichick has no problem going on 4th too.

Think Gruden can be a little more aggressive.

Can't do Youtube from this POS computer, so I'm unable to view the video of the Lechler fake FG pass. I'm guessing it happened when Hue Jax was coach though ? Most aggressive Raider HC ever.

I'm probably one of the very few Raider fans that still likes Hue Jax. Definitely made his share of bonehead decisions, I can remember him going for a 2 pt conversion when we were up by 3 with a few mins to go in a game --WTF was he thinking ? -- but one thing you could count on with Hue, he was going for the dagger kill every single time. Uber agressive crazy bastard.

John, you're right...takes a coach to think out of the box and be a real risk taker.

Sean Peyton in N.O. will frequently go on 4th or pull a fake. Rams will constantly fake punt. Jeff Fischer has pulled off some great special teams plays too. Bellichick has no problem going on 4th too.

Think Gruden can be a little more aggressive.
    fake punts only work when the opposing team is thinking a long punt return so they drop way back,our kicker is a pea shooter that is not respected

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    fake punts only work when the opposing team is thinking a long punt return so they drop way back,our kicker is a pea shooter that is not respected
    Out ran his average on this one....42 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Out ran his average on this one....42 yards.

once in a while luck is on your side,lol

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    once in a while luck is on your side,lol
    We're 1-7 and they're 6-2.......Chargers were on an early siesta.....all the partying in Oakland the night before.